PDA

View Full Version : tv reception

martyb
25-05-2009, 21:11
Hi again folks, thanks again to all that have helped me lately.

However I now have the problem of tv reception, my home of which is 18yrs old is currently finding it hard to pick up a signal. I has a space ship looking dish on the roof...cant remember what type of the top of my head, and a booster (12v) inside the van. however never really managed to get a watchable signal? The booster works...the power light comes on....and when switched off the signal totally goes. Shall I just get a new " spaceship" or get a digi box and a new analogue type arial?...

lenny
25-05-2009, 22:45
Get rid of the omni-directional antenna (they are crap):eek::D, you.d be better off with a wire coat hanger:rolleyes::o;).

sundown
25-05-2009, 23:15
hi, martyb
looks like you've got a status areal, which, as lenny says they are "crap"
Best thing you can do, is get a cheap "house areal" from B&Q around 12.99

or a satalitte dish from Maplin around 79 - 99 which is what I use they are "magic"
ps. happy viewing!

renault4mad
26-05-2009, 01:48
Thats funny,
never had a problem with my Status ????

merlin wanderer
26-05-2009, 21:06
Hi again folks, thanks again to all that have helped me lately.

However I now have the problem of tv reception, my home of which is 18yrs old is currently finding it hard to pick up a signal. I has a space ship looking dish on the roof...cant remember what type of the top of my head, and a booster (12v) inside the van. however never really managed to get a watchable signal? The booster works...the power light comes on....and when switched off the signal totally goes. Shall I just get a new " spaceship" or get a digi box and a new analogue type arial?...
make sure you have a signal ? test it at home and make sure the booster switch is in the correct position it does matter mind you my unit is fine
but as others say better going for a dish most camping locations dont have good reception due to location I personaly dont use the flying saucer
anymore I like me sky digi box:cool:

martyb
26-05-2009, 21:18
make sure you have a signal ? test it at home and make sure the booster switch is in the correct position it does matter mind you my unit is fine
but as others say better going for a dish most camping locations dont have good reception due to location I personaly dont use the flying saucer

Thanks,I am going down the digi box route now....feed up with space men landing on my roof! Can you please suggest a type of aerial to go with it? as i do not want to waste some hard earned pennies...Ta ...marty

martyb
26-05-2009, 21:19

Thanks,I am going down the digi box route now....fed up with space men landing on my roof! Can you please suggest a type of aerial to go with it? as i do not want to waste some hard earned pennies...Ta ...marty

Randonneur
26-05-2009, 21:59
Portable satellite kit from Aldi 64.99 includes dish, box, satellite finder and compass and all cables including 12volt cig plug and instructions. Works anywhere!!.

sundown
26-05-2009, 22:09
hi. again,
there's been a lot of discussion on an earlier thread
concerning which type of areal is best
many varied opinions,
check it out here

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-knowledge-base/2792-status-areal-v-cheapo.html

simong
27-05-2009, 00:15
I'm glad I read this thread before shelling out for a new status arial, looks like a trip to B&Q then lol

Nosha
28-05-2009, 20:09
If? It's a status 'mushroom' type with a little aerial in the centre then the chaps are right... they are CRAP! However the same company make the Status 535 directional aerial and they are SUPERB!! How can the same company make aerials at the opposite ends of the spectrum??

At least the old Maxview wire 'W' omini's worked!!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS