PDA

View Full Version : The Joys of owning a Motorhome

grath
28-03-2017, 10:32
Well in a few weeks we go off on our first of the year longish tour and we have no idea which way we will be turning after we come off the ferry! That is the Joy of owning a M/H
We might go to Provence, south eastern France, or maybe Germany, then would it be north or south.
We might just go for cheapness and stay around central France, on the other hand we might go down the west coast to the Bordeaux area, then down a few rivers and canals.
But then we are just a stone throw away from Spain, where it is much cheaper to eat out, but sometimes a little difficult to put tables and chairs out, and we do like to sit out doors! Much prefer the Spanish and with Brexit maybe the French might not be too friendly, they can be a funny lot!
We do have the Santander ferry booked for end of summer tour, but this was for a little treat (40th Wedding anniversary) and off to tour Portugal again!
These are just my thoughts, I am not asking advice just thinking aloud:raofl:
Anyway, where are you going, have you a similar dilemma?:wave:
Great to have these sort of decisions to make, it is all fun:have fun:
Wherever you go, enjoy and have even more :fun::fun::fun:

Keithchesterfield
28-03-2017, 10:56
We're heading for the Dordogne on Thursday - getting there or not possibly depends on the weather in that area.

Who knows?

Who cares?

Go with the flow.

Enjoy where-ever you get to.

:dog: :dog: :dog: :dog:

Cass
28-03-2017, 11:10
There's a lot might's there Graham, you beginning to sound like me lol :wave: to Kath

barryd
28-03-2017, 11:32
All depends on lots of factors but so far the plan is

Drive across to the Moselle (just for a night or two in transit), Black Forest, Switzerland, maybe Austria, Venice, back up the Dolomites, maybe a few Italian Lakes, French Alps, St Croix, Verdon Gorges, Cote D'Azur then a slow amble across inland Provence, Ardeche, Aveyron, Tarn, Lot, Dordogne and home. If it comes off.

Im the opposite though, I plan everything in detail, takes weeks. You meander of course and never stick religiously to a plan but I always said, fail to prepare, prepare to fail!! :D I bet we end up in Flamborough. :(

Beemer
28-03-2017, 12:08
This year we planned the start of the holiday drive and the end of the holiday (date/time/ferry) the rest is a case of "lets go to Portugal" and if we get there, OK, if not, it does not matter really. other than that, I just do as I am told :)
'er indoors overrules sat nav and the driver, but the bonus is, if it all goes wrong, she can't blame me..... well, in theory. :)

mark61
28-03-2017, 12:16
Was hoping to get to Morocco in May, might happen, might not. If not, then a bit of a meander round France, Germany and the usual ending up in Corsica. Might have a bit more than the usual 2 and a half weeks this year. :)
Don't plan much, meeting and traveling in Corsica with the bloke who bought my green van is as far as the plan goes. On the other hand might go to Pyrenees.

Asterix
28-03-2017, 12:23
I'll be meandering my way north out if Spain in a couple of weeks,the joy of returning to work,i cant wait!:hammer:

Cass
28-03-2017, 14:07
Were getting a quick overnight in this week leave Thursday return Friday due to other commitments on Saturday not sure where yet but its only Tuesday so plenty of time to decide

grath
28-03-2017, 14:16
Were getting a quick overnight in this week leave Thursday return Friday due to other commitments on Saturday not sure where yet but its only Tuesday so plenty of time to decide

Enjoy Cass!
Kath says thank you and wishes you well!

Pauljenny
28-03-2017, 14:57
We leave here 21 April, after son and family return home.
We have to be in Altrincham by 6 th May.
When we reach the road junction at our lane end, we pull two coins out of a pocket.. Odds,we turn left... Evens, right.
Route,Ferry,overnight stops,etc. will sort themselves out.
The simple life for me!.. That's the planning sorted.

Moonraker 2
28-03-2017, 19:40
Well in a few weeks we go off on our first of the year longish tour and we have no idea which way we will be turning after we come off the ferry! That is the Joy of owning a M/H
We might go to Provence, south eastern France, or maybe Germany, then would it be north or south.
We might just go for cheapness and stay around central France, on the other hand we might go down the west coast to the Bordeaux area, then down a few rivers and canals.
But then we are just a stone throw away from Spain, where it is much cheaper to eat out, but sometimes a little difficult to put tables and chairs out, and we do like to sit out doors! Much prefer the Spanish and with Brexit maybe the French might not be too friendly, they can be a funny lot!
We do have the Santander ferry booked for end of summer tour, but this was for a little treat (40th Wedding anniversary) and off to tour Portugal again!
These are just my thoughts, I am not asking advice just thinking aloud:raofl:
Anyway, where are you going, have you a similar dilemma?:wave:
Great to have these sort of decisions to make, it is all fun:have fun:
Wherever you go, enjoy and have even more :fun::fun::fun:

Ah ha...yoù are the chap with all the stuff!!

IanH
28-03-2017, 20:23
Froggie is off to Porstmouth 7Apr, to Santander, then more or less anywhere in N Spain/Portugal until the return ferry 3 weeks later. We have absolutely nothing booked, apart from the ferries, a small plan but variable depending on may things, not least the weather.

On return Froggie must be sold..............sob!!

Pauljenny
28-03-2017, 22:25
Froggie is off to Porstmouth 7Apr, to Santander, then more or less anywhere in N Spain/Portugal until the return ferry 3 weeks later. We have absolutely nothing booked, apart from the ferries, a small plan but variable depending on may things, not least the weather.

On return Froggie must be sold..............sob!!

Ahhhh!
I hope Froggie doesn't break down......
Or he'll have to be toad away.

I'll get me coat.

IanH
29-03-2017, 09:42
Ahhhh!
I hope Froggie doesn't break down......
Or he'll have to be toad away.

I'll get me coat.

Not 1% as much as I hope he doesn't!
Anyway we have Europe wide return to base breakdown insurance (£129btw) and he lives in permanent intensive care!!

grath
29-03-2017, 12:31
Germany is at the moment looking favourite for our first this year tour!:banana:
But we will see!

Fazerloz
29-03-2017, 16:32
All depends on lots of factors but so far the plan is

Drive across to the Moselle (just for a night or two in transit), Black Forest, Switzerland, maybe Austria, Venice, back up the Dolomites, maybe a few Italian Lakes, French Alps, St Croix, Verdon Gorges, Cote D'Azur then a slow amble across inland Provence, Ardeche, Aveyron, Tarn, Lot, Dordogne and home. If it comes off.

Im the opposite though, I plan everything in detail, takes weeks. You meander of course and never stick religiously to a plan but I always said, fail to prepare, prepare to fail!! :D I bet we end up in Flamborough. :(

I plan on doing something very similar in May I've booked the ferry and that's as much as I've done. Send me all your details I will try them out and report back where I fail. :cheers:

PS No need to send me the itinerary to Flamborough I know my way there already.

barryd
29-03-2017, 17:19
I plan on doing something very similar in May I've booked the ferry and that's as much as I've done. Send me all your details I will try them out and report back where I fail. :cheers:

PS No need to send me the itinerary to Flamborough I know my way there already.

Ive not planned it much further than in Autoroute and google maps so far. If we go it will probably be end of May. Ill start planning in earnest once I know we are actually going. A lot of the places we have been before so it would be a mixture of new and old. I have loads of folders of info from past trips but will spend days probably researching Aires and wild camping spots and maybe the odd ACSI site or farm site. I tend to look for places a bit off the beaten track to be honest that are likely to be quiet and we just use the bike a bit like a Tugger uses his car.

Skar
29-03-2017, 17:20
We have quite a year ahead, tomorrow we are booked on Eurotunnel with a vague plan of going to Southern Spain (West), along the Algarve and then up the West Coast of Portugal and perhaps Northern Spain before returning to the UK in July. Two weeks in Kent then two weeks in Yorkshire before heading off to Croatia at the beginning of August and returning in November, happy days!

Pauljenny
29-03-2017, 19:01
We have to back in UK earlier than normal, this year.
Hopefully, we can get away earlier.
If the Autumn is kind, we have wanted to take the little known short cut back to Portugal, via the Moselle Valley.
Maybe this year we'll make it?

Fazerloz
29-03-2017, 19:25
Ive not planned it much further than in Autoroute and google maps so far. If we go it will probably be end of May. Ill start planning in earnest once I know we are actually going. A lot of the places we have been before so it would be a mixture of new and old. I have loads of folders of info from past trips but will spend days probably researching Aires and wild camping spots and maybe the odd ACSI site or farm site. I tend to look for places a bit off the beaten track to be honest that are likely to be quiet and we just use the bike a bit like a Tugger uses his car.

You had better pull your finger out then. I am going beginning of May.:have fun: :cheers: My rear marker board for the scoot arrived today.

Just to throw the cat among the pidgeons, how many know the legal requirements for rear marker boards in Spain and Italy are different and the cheap plastic ones with reflectors are not legal in either country. Spanish and Italian boards are illegal to use in UK. Good innit.:rulez::rulez:

grath
29-03-2017, 19:54
The difference is, the cheap ones have a reflector at each corner, and the better legal ones for Italy are fully reflective.
Saying this, I doubt anybody would be pulled over if they have the cheaper version.
However, last year we were in Salamanca and a UK guy had just been fined for not having any marker board, and he said as he left the cops, they pulled another Brit

Fazerloz
29-03-2017, 20:02
Forgetting the cheap ones, the legal Italian ones are illegal in Spain and visa versa.

grath
29-03-2017, 20:22
Forgetting the cheap ones, the legal Italian ones are illegal in Spain and visa versa.
OK if you want to be precise

WilTec - 2in1 - Rear Warning Sign 500x500mm for Spain AND Italy Rear Warning Sign 500x500mm Spain and Italy sign bike motorhome 30165 (http://shop.wiltec.info/product_info.php/language/EN/info/p16792_Rear-Warning-Sign-500x500mm-Spain-and-Italy-sign-bike-motorhome.html)

barryd
29-03-2017, 22:33
You had better pull your finger out then. I am going beginning of May.:have fun: :cheers: My rear marker board for the scoot arrived today.

Just to throw the cat among the pidgeons, how many know the legal requirements for rear marker boards in Spain and Italy are different and the cheap plastic ones with reflectors are not legal in either country. Spanish and Italian boards are illegal to use in UK. Good innit.:rulez::rulez:

Plastic one will be fine for both I would imagine. Then again I ran over mine at Lake Maggiore and ended up binning it. I only remembered on our last trip when we ventured into Spain for a couple of weeks but I just didnt bother. Hardly any vans had marker boards on. I think however the rules are that if you have a trailer board that extends beyond the scooter (in our case) you dont need one anyway. We have a scooter rack which the trailer board lights on are beyond the actual bike (more or less)

Fazerloz
29-03-2017, 23:15
OK if you want to be precise

WilTec - 2in1 - Rear Warning Sign 500x500mm for Spain AND Italy Rear Warning Sign 500x500mm Spain and Italy sign bike motorhome 30165 (http://shop.wiltec.info/product_info.php/language/EN/info/p16792_Rear-Warning-Sign-500x500mm-Spain-and-Italy-sign-bike-motorhome.html)

That's exactly what the police are at times precise. I ve known them to measure the spacing on the letters of my number plate on my bike in the past.

grath
30-03-2017, 06:45
That's exactly what the police are at times precise. I ve known them to measure the spacing on the letters of my number plate on my bike in the past.

I have on many occasions seen the Spanish Guarda Civil, measuring car transporters for over length.
Some pull out an extra about 18 inches to sit a rear wheel of a car on. Making them over length!

grath
30-03-2017, 09:28
We looked at Italy last night, and the prices of the Solstas, (aires) they are ridiculous. ACSI would be much better, but gets a little expensive if going for several weeks.
We don't mind paying, but not every night and only a few €. We remember when we could go away and free camp everywhere, it is still possible, but the nice locations are getting fewer and fewer, particularly in France.
Germany is still favourite for our first this year trip, with maybe some France as well!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS