PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Mull

medenview
05-07-2006, 09:09
Whilst on holiday recently, we visited the Isle of Mull and on a drive around the Island, we saw
two units wild camping just outside the village of Lochbuie. They seem to have been there for
a while (couple of bags of rubbish outside units) and saw a local speak to them whilst there.

Was also told, didn't visit ourselves, that the beach at Calgary Bay would be suitable for wild
camping.

Full details will be posted when my laptop returns from repair.

Smurf
05-07-2006, 22:36
I've spent a night at Calgary Bay. There's a very small camp site at the south end and a car park at the north end. We stayed in the car park but you will need leveling blocks. The car park gets crowded during the day.

autosleeper
17-09-2006, 08:38
Yes Calgary Bay is a Wild Camping site.It is owned by Argyll and Bute Council, there are a few rules, but nothing restricting. just common sense.
It is a beautiful site, with stunning views, & a white sandy beach.
Supposed to be for one night only though.

swingsandroundabouts
01-10-2006, 16:19
we stayed here last year for 2 nights.We were told about it by a couple we met on Arran. A lady comes to check on how long people have been staying and makes notes of regs. etc. I think she is the same one that keeps the loos clean, replacing the hand towels, soap wash etc. We loved the spot. There is a B&B further up the road that has a tea room and there is a walk through the woods with artwork to find in it.Unusual, especially liked the iron bed !
if you stay here , turn left when leaving the camping beach and turnaround in the bus bay opposite the loos if you want to travel in opposite direction to Tobermory.The road is narrow with a ditch on the other side and a slight bank on beach side, difficult to do a right turn straight from the beach!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l93/swingsandroundabouts/wild%20camping%20in%20Scotland/scotlandhighlandsandislandstourj-2.jpg

Steve & Carol
15-01-2007, 13:57
We've both just read an article, about 'wild camping' on the isle of MULL, as we have been there before (staying in a cottage, as we hadn't got our 'van' at the time), so now we can be more flexible we are planning a trip over again this coming Easter, for 8 days. I recognise the place Calgary as been quite close to where we have already been, but is there anybody who knows of any other good spots, preferably good for wild life spotting (Otters perhaps). We did spot a 'Basking Shark' the other year, just along the coast from Calgary Beach.

sagart
15-01-2007, 21:29
Met a comedian there last September who suggested that a good spot was at the end of the Carsaig road off the A849 just after Pennyghael on the road towards Bunessan...don't!!! It's a nasty local joke................

virgil
15-01-2007, 21:42
Can I ask what the result of parking there would be?

sagart
16-01-2007, 08:47
Carsaig?
Let me see....
Difficult turn off "main road"
7 miles of single track with barely a passing area
Last section is one car width, has a 300 ft. drop on the righthand side and no passing areas
If you get to the end (and you have no choice once committed), sharp and narrow bends....barely room to turn anything.
AND
you have to return the same way

I was working on Mull last year with the company paying for accomodation, so I used my Citroen C5 estate rather than the van. Took my wife down to see the Carsaig Arches and had a hellish trip as I met two other local vehicles as a few people do live there.
Armourplated 4x4's are best...Oh, did I mention the wandering bull?

sagart
16-01-2007, 14:29
We've both just read an article, about 'wild camping' on the isle of MULL, as we have been there before (staying in a cottage, as we hadn't got our 'van' at the time), so now we can be more flexible we are planning a trip over again this coming Easter, for 8 days. I recognise the place Calgary as been quite close to where we have already been, but is there anybody who knows of any other good spots, preferably good for wild life spotting (Otters perhaps). We did spot a 'Basking Shark' the other year, just along the coast from Calgary Beach.

Out of Craignure to Salen...turn on to B8035 to Gruline. Turn left on coast road to Knock (appropriately here on Skye pronounced Crock).
There are many places along this section though you need, at the moment, to beware of soft ground.
Out of Tobermory on the road to Dervaig (B8073), just after the hairpins and overlooking the village, there is a large area on the right. Nice pub, but awkward parking.

Steve & Carol
24-01-2007, 14:07
yeah thats the way the magazine said, he actually did take his 18ft van down there, but certainly not for the faint hearted was his final comment.

Steve & Carol
24-01-2007, 14:09
pub sounds good, we'll just have to keep an eye on the parking. Our van isn't to big (20ft), so it may not be too much of a problem.

sagart
24-01-2007, 18:51
yeah thats the way the magazine said, he actually did take his 18ft van down there, but certainly not for the faint hearted was his final comment.

"Magazine", which magazine, I must have missed some reference? The road isn't too bad, it's pub access which is difficult.
Still, up here, we are used to single track roads!

autosleeper
29-06-2007, 19:19
In the July edition of the MMM there is an article by the Stotherts, well worth the read. It describes wild camping spots & good camp sites, along with their wonderful photography.

christine
13-07-2007, 08:44
Anyone interested will find our report on Mull here:

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/87f23/4b3a6/

veletron
08-01-2010, 14:27
Hi

Drove past here new years eve 2009. The camping area was empty & frozen and you would never have gotten down/out in a motorhome.

There's a sign there detailing do's and dont's and some boulders positioned on the entry to prevent large motorhomes & caravans from staying. Toilets were open. There was a sign in the toilets saying 'dont empty chemical toilets, it blocks the septic tank'.

I took some pics:

Calgary Bay, Mull Wild Camping (http://www.veletron.com/php/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=15697)

Nigel

tony
08-01-2010, 14:44
Whilst on holiday recently, we visited the Isle of Mull and on a drive around the Island, we saw
two units wild camping just outside the village of Lochbuie. They seem to have been there for
a while (couple of bags of rubbish outside units) and saw a local speak to them whilst there.

Was also told, didn't visit ourselves, that the beach at Calgary Bay would be suitable for wild
camping.

Full details will be posted when my laptop returns from repair.

we are planing on a visit to mull & iona in june this year.
tony

veletron
08-01-2010, 15:08
Its spectacular! I'll put up some pics soon. No issues wild camping, but we went in the middle of winter. There are some spectacular spots to wild camp on the southern shore of Loch Na'Keil. The camp-site at Fidden near Fionnphort was closed when we were there, but there are some nice spots on the road.

There were 10 other vans on the main car park in Tobermory where we spent new years eve. The guy in the garage said that the big signs about no overnight parking just get ignored. There were similar signs in most of the village car-parks, and in quite a few of the forestry car parks.

-10 was the min temp we encountered, it got up to almost +10 one day! Loads of ice about - very few gritted roads. Got stuck a few times, but had shovel road grit in van so no problem.

Nigel

veletron
08-01-2010, 16:08
Some Photos: New Year On Mull (29/12/09 - 05/01/10) (http://www.veletron.com/php/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=15714)

For wild camping:

- South Loch Na'Keil

- Some spots on North Loch Na'Keil

- Calgary bay (of course)

- Loads of places on A849 To Fionnphort especially once over the pass, a few placed also before you get over pass

- We stopped on Fidden farm road, but this would be cheeky if campsite was open. Campsite is 6pp and has spectacular views and plenty of space to feel like you are wild camping!

- Loch Buie - on the shore - no signs saying you couldn't and evidence of camp fires

- Loch Spelvie - loads of spots around the loch

- Several off road parking area's near Fishnich overlooking the mainland

- Loch Frisha

- Back road to Dervaig from Salen

Other:

- Recycling at Dervaig, Tobermory, Salen, Craignure & Fionnphort
- Toilets at Calgary Bay, Tobermory (20p), Salen, Craignure, Bunessan, Fionnphort (20p) & Iona.
- Water at car park in Tobermory (you'll need a container and a submersible pump etc, you cant drive to tap - tap is really for the yachties).
- Tap outside toilets at Bunessan was not working (maybe just winter thing). If it works in summer, you'll need container to transfer.
- No drinking water at Calgary Bay.

Basic camp site at Killiechronan, takes vans, nice views Toilets (were open in winter), 5 mins walk from site, no water at site, tap at toilets, container required.

Ferry's (all for Van 5-8M,2 people and 30 days return ticket):

- Oban - Craignure: 90
- Lochaline - Fishnish: 45 but factor in Corran ferry cost & extra fuel
- Corran ferry: 12.60 ret
- Did not check Kilchoan - Tobermory - hell of a way around on mainland...

Tyndrum-Oban is 34miles, while Tyndrum to Lochaline is 65Miles. If you have the time, then long way around is cheaper, but not by a huge margin.

Wild camping spots on A884 (Strontian-Lochaline) & and also on A85 Oban road (try Ben Lui Car Park, or one of the pull-ins on B8077 near Dalmally).

Ardnamurchan penimsular is also worth a visit...

Nigel

Barbt
08-01-2010, 16:23

Go down the road towards Loch Buie - it's a fairly difficult road and I wouldn't recommend it for anything longer than 20ft although I have seen a bin lorry down there. When you get to the Loch Buie all you will see is a couple of houses and a wooden shed which is the Post Office - you can camp there on the beach, or follow the track round and over a little bridge where you will find the "official wild camping site" although again don't attempt this with anything bigger than about 15 ft.
There are lovely walks all around - you will see otters, sea eagles and if you are lucky - we were - dolphins". There's a ruined castle to your left of the Loch Buie Monument - walk past the tiny church towards the castle and you will get wonderful views over the bay.
No loos or shops etc but the fisherman will give you water if you need it. Stock up with supplies in Tobermory as there aren't really any more shops for miles. It's well worth a visit - and now it's all your fault, I'm supposed to be working, not reminiscing about Loch Buie!!

derekfaeberwick
08-01-2010, 23:27
Carsaig?
Let me see....
Difficult turn off "main road"
7 miles of single track with barely a passing area
Last section is one car width, has a 300 ft. drop on the righthand side and no passing areas
If you get to the end (and you have no choice once committed), sharp and narrow bends....barely room to turn anything.
AND
you have to return the same way

I was working on Mull last year with the company paying for accomodation, so I used my Citroen C5 estate rather than the van. Took my wife down to see the Carsaig Arches and had a hellish trip as I met two other local vehicles as a few people do live there.
Armourplated 4x4's are best...Oh, did I mention the wandering bull?

Just picked up on this post and I must say that you are scaremongering.

At the time I 'did' Mull, I 'did' Carsaig. We had a LWB Renault Trafic at the time, and whilst I agree that my 7metre 'van may not be the best for this road, I'd still go for it.

Tco
09-01-2010, 05:07
Hi

There's a sign there detailing do's and dont's and some boulders positioned on the entry to prevent large motorhomes & caravans from staying. Toilets were open. There was a sign in the toilets saying 'dont empty chemical toilets, it blocks the septic tank'.

Nigel

Thanks for the pictures. By "Large Mh's" do you think they meant anything wider than a PVC? Those rocks look pretty close together. We are planning to visit Mull (amongst other islands) in 2010. Our van is only 6m long but being a coachbuilt it is 7'2" wide.

Regards

Tco

marzy
09-01-2010, 07:29
Anyone interested will find our report on Mull here:

Magical Moments on Mull - Island of Mull, United Kingdom - VirtualTourist.com (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/87f23/4b3a6/)

Great photos Christine, looked a great holiday.

Chrissy
09-01-2010, 08:15
Great pics Nigel - thanks for sharing

Chrissy

Bondy1
09-01-2010, 15:27
Been going to mull for 13 years now mostly staying in cottages but the last two times in my campervan, Motorhomes are not aloud on the campsite at Calgary but as many have said there are many spot's around the island to camp for the night. Up on the hill out of Dervaig is lovely with a view to die for but a little exposed. Along the coast from Calgary is lovely too but as said before very narrow if you come up on traffic, Not to sure where you could camp near to Tobermory but there is a very large carpark next to the harbour which im sure would be okay for a night or two but is a step drop in to the town. If you do get on the island take the time to go over to Iona as it is so peaceful and well worth a visit and you could stay down near Ben More for mountain views. I will be back there this year hopefully in the summer as im usually there in October for the car rally.

runnach
10-01-2010, 20:23
We did our first trip out to Mull in October. I wrote a blog, maybe some useful info in there for future trips??

veletron
10-01-2010, 21:16
Thanks for the pictures. By "Large Mh's" do you think they meant anything wider than a PVC? Those rocks look pretty close together. We are planning to visit Mull (amongst other islands) in 2010. Our van is only 6m long but being a coachbuilt it is 7'2" wide.

I think you would have to be fairly accurate to get a ducato PVC between the rocks, bit it would fit - not so sure about the coachbuilt. I was not gonna try it while I was there due to the ice. Just visit, and check it out. Theres other places to park for the day if you decide that you are not going to stay the night.

TBH, by small motorhomes, they are meaning VW & bongo sized campervans rather than motorhomes.

Nigel

veletron
10-01-2010, 21:18
Been going to mull for 13 years now mostly staying in cottages but the last two times in my campervan, Motorhomes are not aloud on the campsite at Calgary but as many have said there are many spot's around the island to camp for the night. Up on the hill out of Dervaig is lovely with a view to die for but a little exposed. Along the coast from Calgary is lovely too but as said before very narrow if you come up on traffic, Not to sure where you could camp near to Tobermory but there is a very large carpark next to the harbour which im sure would be okay for a night or two but is a step drop in to the town. If you do get on the island take the time to go over to Iona as it is so peaceful and well worth a visit and you could stay down near Ben More for mountain views. I will be back there this year hopefully in the summer as im usually there in October for the car rally.

Council has been busy with its 'no overnight parking signs'. One in parking area on road above Dervaig, in main CP @ Tobermory, Fionnphort, and on many other 'suitable' places where we stopped. Likely not very well enforced though!

Nigel

marty
15-01-2010, 17:18
Some Photos: New Year On Mull (29/12/09 - 05/01/10) (http://www.veletron.com/php/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=15714)

For wild camping:

- South Loch Na'Keil

- Some spots on North Loch Na'Keil

- Calgary bay (of course)

- Loads of places on A849 To Fionnphort especially once over the pass, a few placed also before you get over pass

- We stopped on Fidden farm road, but this would be cheeky if campsite was open. Campsite is 6pp and has spectacular views and plenty of space to feel like you are wild camping!

- Loch Buie - on the shore - no signs saying you couldn't and evidence of camp fires

- Loch Spelvie - loads of spots around the loch

- Several off road parking area's near Fishnich overlooking the mainland

- Loch Frisha

- Back road to Dervaig from Salen

Other:

- Recycling at Dervaig, Tobermory, Salen, Craignure & Fionnphort
- Toilets at Calgary Bay, Tobermory (20p), Salen, Craignure, Bunessan, Fionnphort (20p) & Iona.
- Water at car park in Tobermory (you'll need a container and a submersible pump etc, you cant drive to tap - tap is really for the yachties).
- Tap outside toilets at Bunessan was not working (maybe just winter thing). If it works in summer, you'll need container to transfer.
- No drinking water at Calgary Bay.

Basic camp site at Killiechronan, takes vans, nice views Toilets (were open in winter), 5 mins walk from site, no water at site, tap at toilets, container required.

Ferry's (all for Van 5-8M,2 people and 30 days return ticket):

- Oban - Craignure: 90
- Lochaline - Fishnish: 45 but factor in Corran ferry cost & extra fuel
- Corran ferry: 12.60 ret
- Did not check Kilchoan - Tobermory - hell of a way around on mainland...

Tyndrum-Oban is 34miles, while Tyndrum to Lochaline is 65Miles. If you have the time, then long way around is cheaper, but not by a huge margin.

Wild camping spots on A884 (Strontian-Lochaline) & and also on A85 Oban road (try Ben Lui Car Park, or one of the pull-ins on B8077 near Dalmally).

Ardnamurchan penimsular is also worth a visit...

Nigel

Great write up and great pics well done on the ben!

Mull is my favorite place havent been for 3 years , im making a point of going soon,. I can tatally understand whats going on with calgary bay , it does get like a campsite during school holidays . Has anybody else met harold and cesley ( spelling ) the old couple in the motorhome who stay there for weeks during school holidays ?? really nice couple . wonder if the still go?

bodach
15-01-2010, 19:14
The parking space above Dervaig has a no overnight parking or no camping sign(can't remember which).Most of these type spaces now have such signs.This due to the minority antisocial types and "travellers".One MH the last couple of years has stayed for about a week in Tobermory car park and takes up 10 (yes ten) car park spaces.Others discharge their waste water on the car park surface. This will inevitably lead to a complete ban on overnighting fairly soon.

sagart
16-01-2010, 07:51
Another water source I've used in Tobermory is the garage adjacent to the carpark at the harbour.
If you fill your fuel tank, then ask, they seem quite happy about it

grenlynn
01-01-2011, 10:47
we are thinking of going to mull as part of our 2 week holiday in july,any tips or recommendations of where else to see while we are in that sort of area? we went to the shetlands last year so island hopping is an option.

Goaskalys
01-01-2011, 19:31
I know it's not 'wild' but it felt like it. Last summer we stopped at the camp-site in Fidden, near Fionnphort and it was the least 'camp-site' camp-site I've ever stayed in. It's a huge site right on a peninsular with gorgeous little bays to park in and we had our own 'private' beach to watch the sunset.
And while you are so close don't forget to get the boat-trip out of Fionnphort to Staffa and Fingal's cave - should be one of the seven wonders of the world!

jan katie robinson
02-02-2011, 16:32
Calgary Bay is a nice site and fine when we visited out of High season - I think the three spaces there would be full all the time in High season but the beach is great and the local walks and hotel/pub has really good food. There are other sites on the western shores and some sites on the southern shores but the two prettiest ones are Calgary and Fidden farm near Fionnphort - You have to pay at Fidden but it is very reasonable and the family are very nice and helpful. The big field/machair alongside the shore is fab - you can bbq on the beach and when the tide goes out there are hundreds of rock pools to explore and watch the seals, etc. .... even basking sharks and dolphins if you are lucky at the right time of year which tends to be low season autumn/winter. Also an easy walk to catch the ferry to Iona or to Erraid island for exploring.
If you want to leave the mad world behind for a few days then go there ! If you can'rt stand being out of touch then Mob fone reception is on the poor side depending on which network you want !
Take kayaks, fishing rods/nets/scuba/snorkelling to have some fun but a good wetsuit is probably advised ! The scenery and sunsets for photos are just 101% !
Other places on Mull - there is the RSPB reserve at Loch Garten in the middle of the island for watching sea eagles/ospreys , etc. and plenty of open land for wild camping - Be careful to avoid the Isle of Mull rally weekend when the island is half closed down unless of course you are a rally petrolhead ! Whatever... enjoy Mull ! J & K .

KCbones
02-02-2011, 17:26
Calgary Bay, A truely beautiful spot, flat level and firm. Friendly people who left us bottled drinking water. Well worth a visit.

grenlynn
14-08-2012, 18:44
thanks to all of you that posted info.we went to mull 4 weeks ago,what a fantastic place,first stop loch buie beautiful!!! saw some dolphins on the first night.toured the whole island and loved it.saw sea eagles on the road to dervaig brilliant. tobermory was also a favorite,took water on at the marina.people were really welcoming.midges a bit of a problem they really liked my other half!!! have decided if we travel next year to go in june.maybe lewis and harris,so any advice will be greatfully recieved.drove through calgery,not sure if we could stay so carried on.the loos were an experince the towel was really scary!!!! oh well back to work and look forward to planning our next adventure.

Alibalibeee
11-01-2013, 22:13
Great write up and great pics well done on the ben!

Mull is my favorite place havent been for 3 years , im making a point of going soon,. I can tatally understand whats going on with calgary bay , it does get like a campsite during school holidays . Has anybody else met harold and cesley ( spelling ) the old couple in the motorhome who stay there for weeks during school holidays ?? really nice couple . wonder if the still go?

We met Harold a couple of times although he's not been back since the rocks appeared at the entrance. Too tight a squeeze for his big van. You're right about it being busy during the school holidays. We try to go when the kids have gone back to school.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS