PDA

View Full Version : crinan canal

champstar
02-06-2009, 21:48
Cross the bridge over the canal and drive a couple of miles towards Crinan after small village you will come across a gravel car park betwwen locks 9 and 10...asked the lock keeper if ok to stay and no problems...great sunset and good fun watching the boats the next day.

scooter
25-07-2009, 18:02
The last time i was there they had put up No overnight parking signs

greenhighlander
25-07-2009, 19:55
Mmmm ... we were there 12 July 09 and spoke to a couple who had camped there overnight in there mobile van and didn't notice any signs ... maybe we didn't see them?

scooter
08-03-2010, 22:49
Yeesss signs are still there in the main parking area gates 10 and 11 but not in the smaller ones further down.

defitzi
08-03-2010, 23:59
:D:mad: bloody signs..... such a pity i am illiterate and worst, illiterate in Swahili.....:D

champstar
05-04-2010, 19:11
Can confirm that there is now a no overnight sign at the dundarry locks campsite..shame it is a wonderful location.

vanmandan
05-04-2010, 19:53
if you continue on past the locks ....
follow the signs to Tayvalich.
after the fork in the road , there's a nice forestry
car park on your left ( about quarter of a mile).
take a stroll down to the lost village, & watch out for
deer around sunset.
a sweet spot.

2cv
13-06-2011, 14:28
I was at that car park this weekend, and it looks very good. Beavers have been introduced to the loch, and theres plenty of (destructive) evidence of them, though apparently the best chance of seeing them is at dusk.

mardee
25-06-2011, 21:58
We were in this area this week and noted 3 Forestry carparks which would be perfect for overnighting within a few miles of each other.
There was one at Barnluasagan where the Beaver information centre is and the better one was a short distance nearer Tayvallich at Coille Bharr

Canalsman
26-06-2011, 22:23
We were in this area this week and noted 3 Forestry carparks which would be perfect for overnighting within a few miles of each other.
There was one at Barnluasagan where the Beaver information centre is and the better one was a short distance nearer Tayvallich at Coille Bharr

Thanks for the suggestions ... I'm glad to say that the two car parks mentioned above are in the POI database.

Keep the suggestions coming :)

Regards

Chris

Henrym
01-06-2012, 19:29
Of the listed Crinon Canal sites:
1 is a dump for dredgings - would work but not ideal
2 is near houses, 3 has No Overnight Parking
4, the forestry CP is fine.
Alternative foresty CP described on information is at Daill Loch (56.0547 -5.5092), accessed from village from 56.0602 -5.4857

It should be possible to overnight at the Crinan port CP, 56.0899 -5.5569. It has a water tap next to the quay. Also toilets. The port at the Lochgilphead end (Ardrishaig) also has water, but less opportunity for overnighting.

North of Lochgilphead, we investigated the OR Leacainn Forest Drive, but the road has been rebuilt and we couldn't find a parking place (or is it a now small parking area at the junction with the A83). Instead, we stopped on a larger crude services area (forestry or council) at 56.1904 -5.1460, tarmac'd in strips but just right from the Islay ferry before breakfast at Loch Fyne.

Canalsman
01-06-2012, 20:16
Thanks again for the updates.

The Leacainn Forest Drive is marked at both ends, and offers wild camping opportunities throughout its length.

Regards

Chris

Henrym
01-06-2012, 22:44
Thanks for clarification, Chis. It was getting dark, so we only went a short distance (1km) beyond the marker on TomTom before we could turn round, passing through non-forested area. If we'd got into forest, we might have guessed there could be something! Perhaps the marker should be at the forest entrance.

I don't recall a Forest Drive sign, but I might have been watching TomTom (and traffic on the road, of course!!).

Ste
01-06-2012, 23:22
Canal dredgings - they dredge the canal every, it'll be clear again soon.
As long as you behaving yourself, there's no problems at the other 2 either.

As far as I'm aware Crinan Port CP was the only one you can't stay in. N/O was clearly stated on council CP sign when I was last there.

Canalsman
02-06-2012, 00:36
Thanks Ste :)

Ems
04-07-2012, 17:38
I stayed in one of the Forestry car parks on the left, I think it's the one close to a house described earlier. We had no problems, a few people arrived in the morning to walk there dogs but they didn't bother us. Nearly all the car parks along the edge of the canal had No Overnight Signs as mentioned before.

m30
04-07-2012, 18:03
We turned up to the Crinian 3 spot a couple of months ago. There is a NOP sign, but there was also a Dutch motorhome parked up. We figured if they were up for ignoring a sign in a foriegn country we had nothing at all to worry about ignoring it in our own country. Needless to say nobody bothered us at all.

Stu

2cv
08-01-2015, 09:13
Over the other side of the river at Crinan Ferry are two POIs. The first is excellent, provided your van is under about 6.5m. Above that you'd have to park lengthways taking up the whole car park and no doubt annoying the many dog walkers who use it. There are also bins there.
The second one has no overnighting signs, which seem fair enough as its on a pier at the end of the road and may be needed for turning.

runnach
08-01-2015, 09:18
Stopped at canal basin last Easter, no one bothered us and, a nice toilet block with shower facilities was nearing completion.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS