PDA

View Full Version : Latest Portuguese Motorhome News

grath
25-04-2017, 10:41
Here is the latest news trying to stop Wilding in Portugal

Campsites demand end to illegal motorhoming - The Portugal News (http://theportugalnews.com/news/campsites-demand-end-to-illegal-motorhoming/41641)

Scotiaman
25-04-2017, 12:26
I bought my MH in August last year and became a member of WC in September. We go away as often as possible with 80% of the time Wilding, stopping over at the POIs from this excellent site. Our intention is/was to head off in 2018 (possibly 2019) to tour Southern Europe. What Iíve read from this forum since joining seems to be a negative trend in attitude towards Wild Campers by the public (non-HMís etc) or as mentioned in grathís post, Campsite owners in the Algarve, first time I've read on here of complaints from Europe. I also note, and have witnessed, one of the reasons for this growing trend and again this is mentioned in many posts, that of hired Motorhomes/Campervans being either intentionally disrespectful or ignorant of the guidelines most of us abide by in keeping a low profile and leaving no trace. As most of these hired MHs come from commercial businesses, would it be possible or even feasible to setup a WC Committee to address the responsibilities of these hire companies in ensuring, as far a reasonable practical, they do more to encourage their clients to abide by these guidelines? After all, it is essentially in their interest as well to maintain wild camping spots. Maybe they do but Iíve never hired. Maybe some of you have hired. What do they tell you? It seems that the Motorhomerís along the Algarve and Alentejo coastlines will not have a voice, should we consider having a voice before this negative trend makes UK headline news? Of course there will always be eejits but can minimise their effect? Thanks for reading my rant :wacko:

moonshadow
25-04-2017, 12:43
I do not understand why anyone would want to wild camp with all those motorhomes along the Algarve coast, there are some lovely free aires only a few miles inland. As for the Alentejo we found a really nice site right on the beach, eco friendly, for Ä6 a night, there are too many cheapskates around who want to have everything for free and don't put anything back.

grath
25-04-2017, 12:48
I do not understand why anyone would want to wild camp with all those motorhomes along the Algarve coast, there are some lovely free aires only a few miles inland. As for the Alentejo we found a really nice site right on the beach, eco friendly, for Ä6 a night, there are too many cheapskates around who want to have everything for free and don't put anything back.

Agree, there are some very reasonable priced aires as well. I think it is the camp site owners who charge high prices, then they moan because they get little trade!
Last year we paid 5Ä per night at Figueira, which included water, dump, excellent wi fi and gated security. Elec cost us an extra Ä30 for just over one month!
However prices there have gone up a little, but still reasonable!

Pauljenny
25-04-2017, 21:11
Here is the latest news trying to stop Wilding in Portugal

Campsites demand end to illegal motorhoming - The Portugal News (http://theportugalnews.com/news/campsites-demand-end-to-illegal-motorhoming/41641)

They have got to get real.

If that figure of 180 THOUSAND motorhomes ,last week, on The Algarve, is correct, (Not a peak week either ), that's the equivalent of a good sized town, trundling around, unsupervised.
A town that size, would have a goodly number of villains , loonies and downright bast@rds, to police.
They would never have room for campsites for them all.

The world has changed, it's not just a few elderly eccentrics,arriving, in little vans and shopping locally.

North Africa has lost it's attraction and everyone has a device with POIs making it a no brainer to get and pass on info. The no-brainers are arriving in droves.
The baby-boomers should all have been dead or ga-ga by now.
Ooh I feel better for getting that off my chest.

We should be advising our members to avoid the crowded coastal resorts...leave them to the package tourists, for which they are designed.

grath
26-04-2017, 06:27
The trouble with the campsites is that some are very very greedy!
We recently had a post (can't remember by who) on wild saying how bad the Alvor ACSI site was and we can confirm they were one of the greedy sites.
We called in last year to check it out and they wanted an extra €2 per night for out little scooter!
Hence we did not stay!

jacquigem
26-04-2017, 06:59
Yes "Add ons" can be annoying but we have stayed on the Acci site at Alvor and seem to recall it was one of the cheaper sites and we enjoyed our stay. Having said that the Aire is very good (providing no rain) and much cheaper.

vwalan
26-04-2017, 07:06
They have got to get real.

If that figure of 180 THOUSAND motorhomes ,last week, on The Algarve, is correct, (Not a peak week either ), that's the equivalent of a good sized town, trundling around, unsupervised.
A town that size, would have a goodly number of villains , loonies and downright bast@rds, to police.
They would never have room for campsites for them all.

The world has changed, it's not just a few elderly eccentrics,arriving, in little vans and shopping locally.

North Africa has lost it's attraction and everyone has a device with POIs making it a no brainer to get and pass on info. The no-brainers are arriving in droves.
The baby-boomers should all have been dead or ga-ga by now.
Ooh I feel better for getting that off my chest.

We should be advising our members to avoid the crowded coastal resorts...leave them to the package tourists, for which they are designed.

north africa hasnt lost any attraction . in 98 about 19000 m,homes went to maroc between nov and april , in 2002 it was 22000,in 2012 it had risen to about 44000, last winter 2015 /2016 it was about 60000. this year all my friends that have been going for many years tell me its still busier than ever. tunisia etc are busy as well. there really is just far too many m,homes on the road these days . it will get far worse as more live longer and have far more cash to enjoy the travelling life.

grath
26-04-2017, 08:01
We have been talking about where to go this year, changing plans, depending on how busy places are and how charges are increasing, almost everywhere! We are absolutely convinced that the good old days of M/Hing have gone. There are far too many of us!
Most of us seem to like free, but most don't mind paying a small fee, depending on location. Then we are competing with the French Dutch and Germans, the first two seem to get everywhere, and sometimes seem to take over. I think everywhere we went last year in Portugal, the sites were probably had as many French as the rest of the Nationalities put together. I think many avoided Morocco! Portuguese site owners were not happy and told us the French just don't spend money!
Then we have the road pricing all different and difficult for us with over 3500kg vans, particularly if going eastwards!
From our point of view, we are considering other types of holidays, or downsizing, then we would maybe use more small municipal sites, which incidentally seem to also be disappearing!
We all do it differently, some just park and move each day, others stay longer and want a view! No right or wrong, but it is getting more expensive!

QFour
01-05-2017, 19:04
Talking with someone today about Southern Portugal .. Their comments were site expensive at 30 Euro a night and expensive derv 1.40 Euro .. Sounds like the campsites getting greedy ..

In Spain at the moment and had a couple of nights on a great Wild Camping site by the sea along with 4 Cathcargo MH's and a very expensive looking tag axle from the Uk.

vwalan
01-05-2017, 19:17
only last wednesday in torrelavaga spain diesel 100.5 euro a litre .
was only 93.5 euro in november .
portugal is always abit dearer than spain as been for years .
as for campsites yes they all jump their prices from about now on .
mind we dont use them but its nice looking asking prices just for fun ,then tell them they are robbers .

Byronic
01-05-2017, 20:05
We are absolutely convinced that the good old days of M/Hing have gone.

But not so for the hordes of newbie motorhomers, they'll just be
coming on in even greater numbers, because they don't know any
different......yet. I'd say within 5 years the "post" baby boomers
will really have something to grumble about, and it definitely
will not be about increasing freedoms lol.

Surprising how many people on a wild camping forum decry
the people that actually wild camp/park, particularly as being cheapskates.
Not necessarily so. I used campsites almost exclusively for a decade
until the invading onslaught of the recent crop of newbies. The campsites
I frequented became crowded. This didn't appeal to me, therefore I
opted to freecamp/wild/park.... whatever. Numbers were relatively low.
You'll find the same story goes even for many well off people in 'posh'
vans. In my case I didn't want a posh van.

Byronic
01-05-2017, 20:37
These are the plastic people, plastic lives in plastic campers, chatting about how much there plastic cost.
Yes these folk will be on the camp sites as the stories of fines and being moved on circulate.
I find it quite refreshing that these folk who hope to free camp and also wish to sit out on there sunloungers are moved onto campsites.
Personally we park for the night. That's it.
John

A bloody good case for biodegradable plastics.:D

Pauljenny
08-05-2017, 14:01
Hey!
Take away the plastic from our van, and we'll be left with a pile of recycled egg boxes and tinfoil.

But we love it, anyway.

Byronic
08-05-2017, 15:31
Hey!
Take away the plastic from our van, and we'll be left with a pile of recycled egg boxes and tinfoil.

But we love it, anyway.

Not so bad,

I'd be left with a shovel full of iron oxide..... make that 2 shovelfuls, it's an HGV.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS