PDA

View Full Version : Loch Doon

knoxy
11-07-2006, 14:39
There are loads of vans that park on the shore of loch doon. Loch Doon is on the A713 south of Dalmellington. There are toilets next to the dam and a small cafe. There is also a second cafe half way up the loch next to the castle. I have used this are on many occassions good for fishing.

jann
07-08-2006, 20:15
Last time we were at Loch Doon, a lot of the caravans appeared to be 'travellers' rather than tourists
If you follow the road past the castle it becomes a forest track,but still passable ,this is quiter than the road. It eventually comes out on another unclassified road, south of Tallaminock.

knoxy
16-08-2006, 16:33
The caravans are all owned by local people and are there almost all year. The owners of the land (scottish water i think) have tried to stop this but have failed every year. It is a lovely area well worth a look. There is a forrestry road at the top end of the loch with some picnic areas. I have never been up there yet. Might try in the next few weeks.

blackhogman
11-11-2006, 11:09
At the end of the tar road , the road becomes a bit rougher , but worth going along .A few miles along the road there are several picnic tables etc .One has a kidz play-area ,with great views over loch.

mikejay
20-10-2007, 19:30
Parked there now someone has burnt all the caravans a woman spoke 2 us today ln tears she came 2 her van that was just ash.great place tho. mike

merlin wanderer
21-10-2007, 07:50
Parked there now someone has burnt all the caravans a woman spoke 2 us today ln tears she came 2 her van that was just ash.great place tho. mike

That's sad news I visit loch doon often, as some one said most of
the vans belong to locals who use them there all summer
Its there beach if you know what I mean but I do know there were
some *****'s moved on but the locals retaliated due to some thefts ect
this might be an ongoing revenge issue mind you having said that there
are individuals who leave there caravans for the factor to clear up
It is split ground some belongs to scottish power some to the Graigangillin estate and also the the water board

hillwalker
21-10-2007, 09:20
i've never had a problem at loch doon, as long as u keep ur self to ur self u'll be fine. i've some cracken nites there. u r better goin after all the school holidays . it's much better then..:D :D

mikejay
21-10-2007, 11:22
Had a good night there parked right on the edge of the loch were it looked like there had been caravans.woke up with rams all around the van.just past the bridge on the left was a horse box and then a car park right down on a bit of land with a yellow t3 camping dont know how it got there but looked a good spot.

mikejay
27-10-2007, 18:58
Stopped at the loch again last night on the way home.A few more people turned up looking for there caravans to find ash were they had stood they were well upset.When we went for a walk i found a letter that said the cragengillian estates were going to dispose of the caravans mid october (have the letter if anyone knows people who had a caravan destroyed).Its a real shame that such a loverly place is like a rubbish tip now we even spotted a load of hypodermic needles down near the water:eek:

Mike

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc172/mikejay38/scotland%2007/lochdoon.jpg

boby350golf
24-02-2009, 23:18
Hi
The scum bags and filth merchants have at last ruined it for the people who loved Loch Doon, who stayed a few nights then moved on leaving it clean and tidy for everybody to enjoy.Not any more NO CAMPING SIGNS have been erected and any place to stop has been blocked off. The only plus is the people who thought they had a god given right to park all summer on private land will now have to find somewhere else ,but that does not make the loss of this wonderful area any less hard to suffer.You can still drive along the loch but places to overnight are very few.:

merlin wanderer
26-02-2009, 07:56
Hi
The scum bags and filth merchants have at last ruined it for the people who loved Loch Doon, who stayed a few nights then moved on leaving it clean and tidy for everybody to enjoy.Not any more NO CAMPING SIGNS have been erected and any place to stop has been blocked off. The only plus is the people who thought they had a god given right to park all summer on private land will now have to find somewhere else ,but that does not make the loss of this wonderful area any less hard to suffer.You can still drive along the loch but places to overnight are very few.:
The locals will remove the signs and the barriers they've been doing it for
years they regard this area as their cheap holiday haven
there are some caravaners who clean up the site removing and scrapping
abandoned units every year left by a mindless few (outsiders)

dont forget the good people and not very well off who use this area
for magical holidays for their young kin

rainmaster
13-04-2009, 10:44
Just come backfrom the Lock, all the paths down to the Loch have now had boulders placed there and they have even dug troughs so you could not drive down even if you manage to move the boulders. Spoke withBrian who runs the cafe, he said that tey are going to build a caravan site near to the shower block.

We spent a week at the Loch last year and had a really great time, shame its has now come to this.

bodgerndog
25-04-2009, 09:56
Isn't it tragic when it comes to this? We used to love Loch Doon-side, launch the canoe, chat to the regulars and really enjoy it. For some folks it was the highlight of their year going there...some were getting on a bit and had been going for donkeys years, it was a great community.

I don't know how you can stop the rowdy, mindless few spoiling it for the many...places like the Mennock Pass, some of the Perthshire lochs and even Killin are threatened by them now. :(

Samtheman13
24-06-2009, 14:32
;) Was along there on the 13th June 2009 -- no problems.There are signs up saying no overnight caravan parking but a few people were camping (in tents) and we were in our motorhome . The police and park ranger type folk were going about on their bikes but there seemed to be no problems they never batted an eyelid . Therefore I assume it must be still ok for motorhomes. The place looks lovely without the eyesore of the old caravans.

laurascottie09
03-07-2009, 12:24
just thought i would leave a little note to say we have just came back from loch doon and had a fab time. we were however in a tent and were informed this is still legal but campervans etc aren't. while we were there the new security firm assigned to look after the loch moved on a young german couple in a van so not sure if maybe it just depends how they feel at the time!! i personally feel as tho the security firm is a gr8 idea to keep away the a**holes but why chase the decent ppl away too????:mad:

dylins
03-06-2011, 22:40
We've stayed at Loch Doon a couple of times now, the spots for motorhomes are limited (big boulders blocking access routes to the lochside), however there are a couple of ok stops with fantastic views of the loch. When we got up the following morning the rangers had put a notice on other vehicles (who were camping) informing them to take thier rubbish home etc. The spot that we were at was covered in litter and we filled a bag or two and cleared the area while we were there.

Carpermark
20-10-2011, 10:49
iv been going to loch doon now for the past 15 years.it started as once a year which turned into twice a year since 2008 due to the fact that we love it so much.it has been the same group of friends that have known each other since childhood.all grown up now and some married with kids we still get together each year and go on our twice annual loch doon camping trip.it all started with a batterd old car loaded with a few sleeping bags and a tent in 1999 and last year we took a 9 seater minibus packed with a chainsaw for for the firewood,bbq food,stove for cuppa,axe,fold away chairs,and an unholy amount of alcohol :) we do however always respect the stunning scenery and the environment,aswell as the local wildlife.we always clean up any mess left at the camp and take all our rubbish bags (dropped off by the ranger) with us and drop them at the compound near the dam.we venture into dalmellington on many occassions and if for anything a social with the locals.Loch doon is the most amazing place ever with the nearby castle,carrick falls and the river doon.I even signed the petition save the river doon.

monts
14-04-2014, 10:24
Just been reading this thread and I thought I would update you guys a little. A new area for caravans and motorhomes has been built near the roundhouse café at Loch Doon. It appears to be open now as I seen around 4 motorhomes parked that area when I went past last Friday.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/LOCH-DOON-CARAVAN-CLUB/104042599644057

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS