PDA

View Full Version : Portugal Touring

grath
08-05-2017, 08:07
Just a quick question as we have an imminent tour but still not decided where to go.
So Portugal comes up again, and we have done it a few times but would like up to date information about the Silver Coast, between Lisboa and Oporto. Been there but a few years ago, and last year we did the Algarve twice!
Have the Guarda clamped down on siting outside the van. I know we can, but don't want to be on guard all of the time watching for the Guarda?
Is the clampdown wide spread, or pretty well limited to the south?
Thanks in advance!

Fletch6
08-05-2017, 09:41

Pauljenny
08-05-2017, 13:08
You know the score,Graham

There's wildcamping and wild camping

Avoid the bleeding obvious and you'll be fine.
You'll come across many more Portuguese motorhomes, up north.
Go where they go ,do what they do.

vwalan
08-05-2017, 14:11
porto to figueira de foz by the coast through the forests is my favourite way . have fun.

grath
08-05-2017, 15:29
Done all the coast before and trucked many times to Portugal, but things do change!
Don't usually use toll roads, but thinking of getting one of these for the odd convenience.
Toll Card - Buy online (http://www.tollcard.pt/fetcwcm/wcmservlet/en/comprar/comprar-online.html)
Maybe from Villa Formosa
The joys of a M/H as only a couple of days ago we were going to Germany, but we fancy more sun. You can't just change like that if packages booked!

POI Admin
08-05-2017, 15:37
Don't usually use toll roads, but thinking of getting one of these for the odd convenience.
Toll Card - Buy online (http://www.tollcard.pt/fetcwcm/wcmservlet/en/comprar/comprar-online.html)

Why pre-pay when, as discussed in another thread, you can register your vehicle at the border and pay by credit card?

grath
08-05-2017, 15:40
Why pre-pay when, as discussed in another thread, you can register your vehicle at the border and pay by credit card?

Thanks, but I understand that only lasts for one month

grath
08-05-2017, 15:52
Thinking about it.
Maybe register at the border and then after the month, if required buy a pay as you go toll card.
Best of both worlds!

Stanski
08-05-2017, 18:08
This toll card is for Motorway use I guess, must you register at border?

grath
08-05-2017, 18:24
This toll card is for Motorway use I guess, must you register at border?

There are two different systems for foreigners.
The first is you register at the border with a credit card and a photo of the registration plate, but this expires after one month.
The second is a pre pay system, similar to mobile phones. You buy the card, register the vehicle, and your phone to the card, and they deduct the tolls as you go, and they send a text when your credit gets low.
This is how I have interpreted the system. Maybe somebody who has used it can confirm or clarify, but in the morning we are off and won't be on line much!

grath
08-05-2017, 18:31
Car and caravan is same price as a car.
Motorhome is nearly double (without splitting hairs:sad:
Car and caravan comes under C1
Camper is a C2
Toll Card - Main paths by Motorway (http://www.tollcard.pt/fetcwcm/wcmservlet/en/simular/trajetos-principais.html)

mygrassisblue
08-05-2017, 21:42
Probably best to buy the tollcard online.
I have tried at 2 post offices.
1st one was rural and after keying in my registration, told me as it was not Portugese they could not do the transaction.
2nd one said "we do not sell these" and that was a main branch in Sabugal!!
It would be so much easier if you could register your card for a year at the border instead of a month.
Haven't used a toll road for 2 months though but will buy online when required.

carol
09-05-2017, 08:56
There are two different systems for foreigners.
The first is you register at the border with a credit card and a photo of the registration plate, but this expires after one month.
The second is a pre pay system, similar to mobile phones. You buy the card, register the vehicle, and your phone to the card, and they deduct the tolls as you go, and they send a text when your credit gets low.
This is how I have interpreted the system. Maybe somebody who has used it can confirm or clarify, but in the morning we are off and won't be on line much!

When I accidentally used a toll road I hadn't done any of those things. As I said in another post, I incurred a fine because stupidly I couldn't find my ticket but my friend just paid the required amount.

gypo
09-05-2017, 10:19
As said in a previous post we are heading to Spain and Portugal in June, now don't get me wrong I don't mind paying to use a toll road if it gets me to where I want to go but what a palaver it all seems, having to register it go in the local post office.
It is enough to make some ppl avoid the area rather than worry about breaking the law.
D

Pauljenny
09-05-2017, 11:36
Car and caravan is same price as a car.
Motorhome is nearly double (without splitting hairs:sad:
Car and caravan comes under C1
Camper is a C2
Toll Card - Main paths by Motorway (http://www.tollcard.pt/fetcwcm/wcmservlet/en/simular/trajetos-principais.html)

If you go through Vila Formosa, avoid the nearby aire.
The shop there is a magic place for spending money. Drug or blindfold the Mrs.
No use creeping in on Sunday ... They are open.

grath
09-05-2017, 13:02
If you go through Vila Formosa, avoid the nearby aire.
The shop there is a magic place for spending money. Drug or blindfold the Mrs.
No use creeping in on Sunday ... They are open.

Thanks guys, I used to stop at villa formosa in my trucking dsys when it was a real frontier. It had a good feel and a good place to weekend. I bet it has grown and lost sll its charm. I expect i will see soon as on the way

Pauljenny
09-05-2017, 14:23
Not lost all of it's charm, still a frontier feel to it, but a good aire and a convenient stopping place.
If you go north from there, Almeida is an interesting stop. Check out the Tourist information for what's on. Aire there, I believe .

ScoTTyBEEE
11-11-2017, 12:06
Probably best to buy the tollcard online.
I have tried at 2 post offices.
1st one was rural and after keying in my registration, told me as it was not Portugese they could not do the transaction.
2nd one said "we do not sell these" and that was a main branch in Sabugal!!
It would be so much easier if you could register your card for a year at the border instead of a month.
Haven't used a toll road for 2 months though but will buy online when required.

Dragging this thread up a bit, but just to let you know I bought mine online and after a week and several electronic tolls it still hasn't debited anything from it. I'm guessing the cameras can't read my numberplate (nothing special about it). So I recommend this route as you have proof to show the police and it tallys with your numberplate so you might get lucky like me.

REC
12-11-2017, 23:20
Link for those interested in getting prepaid toll card
http://www.portugaltolls.com/en/web/portal-de-portagens/home
We have one but just got a via Verde device, as a light user you pay 70cents each month it is used, and can use it in Spain too. The pre pay adds a charge to each toll charge so looks like it will work out cheaper. But have to have Portuguese bank account and address to send it to, so Prepay best for most motorhomers

Back to the thread....The coastal resorts north of Nazere are really quiet. Had no problems parking there last week. Sao Martinho do Porto, Sao Pedro de Moel all great.

Robina
18-11-2017, 15:30
Does the weather on the Atlantic coast get a bit hairy in January/February?

Pauljenny
18-11-2017, 17:11
Depends on how far north you are.

Depends on the prevailing winds .. Westerlies quite often bring rain, but you can expect it to be warmer rain.

If you can get a sheltered situation, you should be OK.

Eastern Algarve is more sheltered.

We have been having a drought, the last two years... Don't really know what to expect.

We are in shorts ,tee shirts, sockless and have not had to put the heating on yet.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS