PDA

View Full Version : Red Wharf Bay

steveashall
17-06-2009, 15:15
Lovely spot - actually on the beach (care required - I got stuck in soft sand)
No anti capervan signs or other obvious issues with parking (apart from high tide!!!)

See this link for map -

http://www.multimap.com/s/OA7c0UTG

Wee-z
17-06-2009, 16:28
welcome to the wildys

weez
Tony

caspar
18-08-2010, 21:08
I would seriously NOT recommend staying on the beach here - it is known locally for its sinking sand, you were lucky. There may be places along the front or up towards the quarries if you can get to them, but I'd hate anyone to lose their camper in the sand - the tide comes in fast there as well due to the rivers.

jms spanner
19-08-2010, 08:23
The sands here are to be avoided at all times with an vehicle, unless you drive a tractor!....

Until recently I had a mooring here and sailed out of R.W. for over 15yrs so I know the bay very well. On spring tides the water rockets in, but goes right out leaving what looks like a wonderful vast stretch of flat inviting sands, great for walking on but when a car did go on, folks in the know would shout at the driver to get off, the driver would respond in much the same manner!!!
The car gets stuck, the driver gets his coat off and sticks it under the wheels, no good....In comes the tide and the panic on the poor person's face is very upsetting. There is nothing that can be done and the vehicle vanishes for 4/5 hours.

I have even seen a 4x4 go under with just the roof showing,and sea gulls standing on the top. Sounds funny, but to see the distress of the owner and his family sitting outside the shore line pub is not nice.

So keep well away, please.

There is only one safe place that I am aware of to over night at R.W:-

Head for R.W. on the A5025, when you reach Pentraeth turn right at the T. lights then bear 1st L, follow this lane all the way down, over the little bridge and there you have probably the best view of the bay money doesn't buy!!.

Trust me, anywhere else and you will loose your motor, be warned....

jms s

caspar
19-08-2010, 08:46
Glad you agree with me JMS - I've seen the same and even got stuck myself walking on foot from there to Pentraeth - if walking head the other way towards Benllech - it's safe then.

I also agree about you with the car park at Pentraeth being the only place IMMEDIATELY round here to stay, but even then as I'm sure you know, on a high tide the car park floods.

Guess the lesson here follows the old adage if it looks too good to be true it probably is!

jms spanner
19-08-2010, 12:15
Casper,you are quite right to mention the high spring tides encroaching on the car park, it was very remiss and possibly dangerous to prospective users for me not to have mention it, thank you.
So I am sure you will agree, the best thing is to get some tide tables or ask about the tide state from the locals.( Preferably at the bar in the Ship Inn!!)

I hope Casper and I are not putting anyone off visiting Red Wharf, it is a lovely part of the world....Just use a bit of common sense and rewards will be yours!

jms s

brian's mum
26-08-2010, 16:50
We Stayed here in August. Beautiful spot but you do have to be careful of sands and tides. As long as you stay close to the entrance of the beach access there where it is a bit more rocky you should be fine - we were. We were the only ones there...watch the tide though - it does come in from nowhere fast!

caspar
26-08-2010, 19:23
We Stayed here in August. Beautiful spot but you do have to be careful of sands and tides. As long as you stay close to the entrance of the beach access there where it is a bit more rocky you should be fine - we were. We were the only ones there...watch the tide though - it does come in from nowhere fast!

Don't take that for granted! The tides change the sands all the time and what was safe one day can be sinky the next, and vice versa. Up to you, but I wouldn't risk it!

Canalsman
17-07-2011, 15:37
There is only one safe place that I am aware of to over night at R.W:-

Head for R.W. on the A5025, when you reach Pentraeth turn right at the T. lights then bear 1st L, follow this lane all the way down, over the little bridge and there you have probably the best view of the bay money doesn't buy!!.

Trust me, anywhere else and you will loose your motor, be warned....

jms s

Stopped at this place last night - which is in the POI file - and so long as you park immediately after the bridge, you should be fine. Local advice confirmed this.

Lovely views and peaceful - apart from some youngsters who decided to wake us up by banging on the van well after midnight. Can't they play another game somewhere else?

Met up with two wildcamping members, Lee and Anne-Marie, who have recently joined and are enjoying using the POI download files :)

Nearby there is a possible water filling point - there's a sports field and changing rooms on the right as you turn off onto the Beaumaris road and before turning off to the beach.

There was football under way this morning, so I used a tap inside the building to fill up my tank :)

caspar
08-06-2012, 16:47
Guess you missed the sign in the car park that clearly states No Overnight Camping then lol. It is a lovely spot, and chances are you'll be OK there, BUT it does have a sign there, it was the reason I moved away from there only last weekend. ;)

Canalsman
08-06-2012, 17:00
Guess you missed the sign in the car park that clearly states No Overnight Camping then lol. It is a lovely spot, and chances are you'll be OK there, BUT it does have a sign there, it was the reason I moved away from there only last weekend. ;)

It's a new sign - another one - definitely no sign last year ...

DRoader
08-06-2012, 17:25
I was going to have a little rant here about signs that mean nothing. I mean really I'm working on a mobile sign that warns off temporary/seasonal middle class dickheads without getting too confrontational for their like.

:cool:

caspar
08-06-2012, 18:28
It's a new sign - another one - definitely no sign last year ...

Annoying isn't it! And what harm was anyone doing there? Lovely spot, away from houses, perfect. Frustratingly for me I got there at well gone midnight, and it was only while trying to find the dog in the pitch dark I found the sign. After a certain amount of deliberation, I did the honourable thing and moved on.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS