PDA

View Full Version : Loch Lomond

Magmez13
17-06-2009, 20:04
Fairly new to wild camping and off to Scotland in six weeks for our treck to Ullapool. Going for longer this year and would appreciate any good safe sites near Loch Lomond....Much appreciated
Martin and Helen

kalamitty
17-06-2009, 21:29
look out for a sign on right that says duck bay hotel near the start of the loch,on the A82 turn right here and just before hotel bear left at mini roundabout takes you along side loch it's a long layby, no probs parking here, or carry on the A82 at tabert bear right loch on your right about 1 mile on left there is a small forestry carpark we stopped here no probs. opposite there is a place where you can get your van down to the lochside if no one camping there. hope this helps was up there last week of may. if your other half not sure of wilding then there is a camp site at crainlarch signs for wigwams 15 per night.

Alf
18-06-2009, 15:51
Magmez13,
just returned from the highlands if you wish to overnight at loch lomond.

At Luss keep on A82 1 mile past the second luss turn off ie the east one there is an off the road layby on the left, drive up the layby and there are about 7 or 8 bays each will hold at least 2 large coach builts or 3 small ones the bays on the right have a limited loch view. We stayed here one the way to the highlands and on our return it is busy Saturdays

We wild camped 14 nights all but one by the sea or a sea loch the odd one out was in the torridon mountains.We stayed on 1 site only at John of Groats.

There is a good site at sheildaig with a fresh water tap and a toilet block nearby with hot and cold water please leave a donation in the red box on the site just down the road at torridon there is a new toilet block at the side of the camping ground there are free electric showers and hot and cold water.
a free water tap at the junction of the B869 with the A847 this is at a Highways depot and is at the side of the sand bays we have used this for 30 years or so should you wish more sites or info send a pm.

Regards Alf

avantegarde
08-07-2009, 12:56
Any info on wild camp at Inverarnan on West Highland Way above Loch Lomond?

grath
08-07-2009, 17:21
Any info on wild camp at Inverarnan on West Highland Way above Loch Lomond?

Welcome to the wildside
Maybe in this present climate of not giving away wild locations to people that we don't know you could maybe introduce yourself prior to posting a request for information as a first post:)

Telstar
08-07-2009, 18:16
When we were up there last month, I turned off into Lush at I think was the first sign going North. Went through Luss looking for the laybys, but they are on the A82. Silly me. Anyway just before we rejoined A82 at the top end of Luss there was a massive carpark on the right. Some sort of TIC. So we spent the night here along with a few other vans. No problems but we arrived very late and left early in the morning. If you get to the Luss C&CC site you've gone too far.

Jon

kangooroo
08-07-2009, 20:35
I've also spent a quiet night there. There are 'No Overnight Parking' signs but I was very discreet - arrived after dark, parked at the far end beneath the overhanging trees, and left early in the morning unseen.

Alf
09-07-2009, 10:10
There is now talk of putting height bars on the car park at Luss due to motor caravans ignoring the signs No Overnight Parking.

This is going to be another car park lost due to the few ignorant parkers.
One motor caravan stops and more follow someone puts on this site or similar and more go.
This then spoils it for everyone.

Alf

Telstar
09-07-2009, 19:11
Ignorant maybe. But after many hours driving, delayed because of motorway closures, I for one am not was not prepared to keep going. Arriving at around midnight and leaving at daybreak, I'm not that convinced anyone saw us.

Also I didn't see any signs. Perhaps my eyes were so tired at this stage. If I had I would have ignored them at that time of night anyway. Safety first and last.

Plus I view it safer that a layby.

Jon

kangooroo
09-07-2009, 19:36
The 'No Overnight Parking' was in relatively small print on the signs but, like you, there was nowhere else for me to park. It was in the torrential rain in early May and even the C&C was flooded with no pitches available.

The car park was deserted and nobody saw me there between midnight and 6am. Even if they had, my Kangoo doesn't look like a camper but just an ordinary car.

It might not be strictly legal and I confess to often having parked in places I shouldn't. I've occasionally been seen by the police and Council staff but never had any trouble - on the contrary, they've wished me 'Good morning!' and passed on weather forecasts, and locals have even offered me cups of tea!

A quiet, respectable, discreet and unobtrusive solo camper is generally seen as harmless and no threat and it's very different to turning a public car park into an unofficial camp site or deluge of New Age Travellers!

avantegarde
09-07-2009, 19:45
Grath ,Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was under the misapprehension it was an information sharing forum. Since I dont " know" anyone on the site,and bearing in mind the "present climate" you refer to, I will keep my own locations to myself. As long as you keep punting your Hymer for sale I suppose you will be getting what you want out of the site.

grath
09-07-2009, 19:52
Grath ,Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was under the misapprehension it was an information sharing forum. Since I dont " know" anyone on the site,and bearing in mind the "present climate" you refer to, I will keep my own locations to myself. As long as you keep punting your Hymer for sale I suppose you will be getting what you want out of the site.

The point that I was making was that it would have been NICE had you taken the time to introduce yourself and participated in the forum prior to asking for help.:)
You have made your decision to keep YOUR locations to your self.
Point proved:eek:

Alf
09-07-2009, 20:59
Parking on a car park with No Overnight Parking that is at the side of a CCC campsite is all that is required to cause the no parking people to arrive in droves if you had stayed on the A82 within 2miles of Luss there are at least 50 legitimate overnight parking bays yes proper parking spots.
one lone camper atracts another and then to advertise the cark park as well.

Alf

Alf
09-07-2009, 21:01
The point that I was making was that it would have been NICE had you taken the time to introduce yourself and participated in the forum prior to asking for help.:)
You have made your decision to keep YOUR locations to your self.
Point proved:eek:

Why is this in the rules.
Alf

grath
09-07-2009, 21:10
This is part of the reason why Admin is about to introduce a way of showing our cherished locations to people that we may know or trust will not abuse them. This has been talked about in a few threads over the last few months and Admin posted about it the other day.

Not saying that Avantegarde would abuse any but as I said earlier it would have been NICE to get to know a member prior to releasing information.

Other members gave information and that is up to them.
I just pointed this out:)

Alf
09-07-2009, 21:35
Grath we have wild camped since 1969 the last few years the problems of overcamping are getting worse we have just returned from the Highlands wildcamping 14 nights twice we got vans parking so close we could not open the rear doors we normally look for a spot just for one or two one off road old layby attracted 12 vans

look at this thread prople staying on car parks with No Overnight Parking at the sie of a CCC site then they wonder why height barriers are fitted when good legal off road laybys are within 2 miles.

Regards
Alf

grath
09-07-2009, 21:41
Grath we have wild camped since 1969 the last few years the problems of overcamping are getting worse we have just returned from the Highlands wildcamping 14 nights twice we got vans parking so close we could not open the rear doors we normally look for a spot just for one or two one off road old layby attracted 12 vans

look at this thread prople staying on car parks with No Overnight Parking at the sie of a CCC site then they wonder why height barriers are fitted when good legal off road laybys are within 2 miles.

Regards
Alf

I agree with what you are saying and we recently returned from 9 wild nights in Scotland and on some occasions we did have difficulty in finding nice overnight locations as the dreaded signs seemed to be everywhere.
We managed in the end:)

kangooroo
09-07-2009, 21:43
Regards
Alf

As I said in my post, when I parked there, the C&CC site was flooded. I'd already enquired re pitches but there were none available due to the ground being saturated. The warden was sympathetic and apologetic but there was nothing he could do. It was dark, late at night in driving rain and I didn't have the local knowledge of the legal off-road laybys in an unfamiliar area. I certainly didn't pass any when I drove through Luss but would also have a few safety concerns re parking in laybys.

grath
09-07-2009, 21:47
As I said in my post, when I parked there, the C&CC site was flooded. I'd already enquired re pitches but there were none available due to the ground being saturated. The warden was sympathetic and apologetic but there was nothing he could do. It was dark, late at night in driving rain and I didn't have the local knowledge of the legal off-road laybys in an unfamiliar area. I certainly didn't pass any when I drove through Luss but would also have a few safety concerns re parking in laybys.

I must admit, that I am not particularly a lay by person unless it is a picnic area by the water:)

Alf
10-07-2009, 09:15
Grath,
The laybys in question are off road the one on the left has 9 or so bays each will hold 3 coachbuilts or 4 van conversions on the right there are 4 and are off road again but suilable for 5
the A82 is a busy road so traffic starts early and is a bit noisey but not unduely so it is a good stop off for the west coast or highlands.
If you are unsure of a pitch on a site or a place to stop you should not travel till tired or late at night in the dark, this is unsafe to do and is asking for trouble.

Alf

grath
10-07-2009, 14:27
Hi Alf,
I think as a trucker that I do know more about lay bys than I want to and I do really hate them.:eek::eek:
I would never except in an emergency:eek: over night in a lay by, however if it were a sort of picnic area by the water:cool: that would be a different matter:D
Each to their own and overnight where ever you feel comfortable and safe:):)

grath
11-07-2009, 11:52
Hi Alf,
I think as a trucker that I do know more about lay bys than I want to and I do really hate them.:eek::eek:
I would never except in an emergency:eek: over night in a lay by, however if it were a sort of picnic area by the water:cool: that would be a different matter:D
Each to their own and overnight where ever you feel comfortable and safe:):)

This is the only sort of lay-by that I like :)

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_2485.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_2477.jpg

champstar
11-07-2009, 19:38
That layby wouldnt happen to be at Loch Lubnaig?
One of my favourite spots...not so good at weekends
In fact you are parked in my favourite bit to park up on!!!!!

grath
11-07-2009, 20:40
That layby wouldnt happen to be at Loch Lubnaig?
One of my favourite spots...not so good at weekends
In fact you are parked in my favourite bit to park up on!!!!!

Hi Champstar,
Well spotted you have it in one:)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS