PDA

View Full Version : Age?

Wez
22-06-2009, 12:31
Just wondering what the average age of you happy campers is?

I'm 28, when i first bought my van and told my friends of my plans to make a small camper - a few of them laughed and thought i was going through an early mid life crisis :confused:

Of course the last laugh is on me, now the vans useable and they've been in it, they all want one!

Just thinking if I wild camp, am i more likely to be moved on than someone 30yrs older than me?

Wez

ajs
22-06-2009, 12:39
Just thinking if I wild camp, am i more likely to be moved on than someone 30yrs older than me?

Wez

:rolleyes:... depends what yer smokin...:D

as fer average age... well... judging by the members i've met it's probably around the 45- 50 mark:confused:

i'm an exception at 60 :eek:.. maybe :confused:

regards;)
aj

simong
22-06-2009, 12:46
36 years of age most of the time lol

Wez
22-06-2009, 12:47

:D those days are long gone now ;)

Age is a strange one though, like when i turn up on a campsite, I always get the lecture about loud music, big fires, not to thrash the van about the field at 2am etc...

i doubt a 60yr old would get the same talking to :rolleyes:

Yogihughes
22-06-2009, 12:51
Like AJS I'm another exception.

Also 60.

ajs
22-06-2009, 13:04
i doubt a 60yr old would get the same talking to :rolleyes:

:confused:.... i do...:rolleyes::o

regards:D
aj

Wintermute
22-06-2009, 13:15
i'm going to be 29 tomorrow. No van (yet) but I also tend to agree with you, when I go to camp I get the third degree about behaving. My pals also think I'm crackers to be wanting a camper, here's hoping they'll change their tune soon enough!

wildweekend
22-06-2009, 14:28
How times change I guess. When I was 21( 26 years ago, GULP!!:eek:) me and my girl took my Dads tranny pop up top camper down to Devon and stayed on about 8 different sites and never experienced any age discrimination.

Chrissy
22-06-2009, 14:37
as fer average age... well... judging by the members i've met it's probably around the 45- 50 mark:confused:

regards;)
aj

Yep, we're in that bracket - well hubby only a pup at 41 and me I'm only 47 - they do say your only as young as the man you feel :D :p :D :eek:

Admin
22-06-2009, 14:40
Actual age 39
Mental Age .....

robert b
22-06-2009, 14:53
i am almost 61 but still feel 50 well sort ove

Baggins
22-06-2009, 15:01
66 and counting................

BW

Old_Arthur
22-06-2009, 15:08
60 same as most people my age :eek::D but the good thing about it is we've looked at the weather forcast and decided to shut the workshop doors and go away again till it gets bad enough to work again wheres mi map

888dee
22-06-2009, 15:31
well I'm 35 and only recently bought a MH but had a caravan before, never had anything age-ist but then always fronted up as a family of 5 so I guess the stereo type is slighty different

nichodia
22-06-2009, 15:38
52, going on 18!

Dezi
22-06-2009, 15:55
Oh God this is painful, I had my own gas mask in 1944, a 600 twin matchless, none of that AJS rubbish !!!,in 1960, no crash hat needed, saw Gene Vincent & little Richard live
& did a season at Butlins Skegness on security when Ringo Starr was a drummer with Rory Storm & The Hurricanes in 1962. So 66 is the answer

Dezi

ajs
22-06-2009, 15:56
me I'm only 47 - they do say your only as young as the man you feel :D :p :D :eek:

let me know when you want to feel older :D

regards:rolleyes:
aj

Chrissy
22-06-2009, 16:00
let me know when you want to feel older :D

aj

:eek: tee hee hee :D :p :D :p :p cheeky :D

kimbowbill
22-06-2009, 16:29
not telling xx

LaughingHeart
22-06-2009, 16:48
I am of the opinion that you are as old as you act! I was born in 1947 but to watch me behave you would think I was a 20 year old in a wrinkly suit!
If you take an average on this basis, then I am 41????
I don't think age really matters when you have a common interest as long as you can personally mix with and tolerate all others. At my upcoming meet we will have all ages and all types of folk joining in the games and party etc and it will be good! Old or young, we can all learn and benefit from each other.
This, to my way of thinking, makes the average age around 35.
Paol.

ajs
22-06-2009, 16:50
not telling xx

no need to slimbo.. already know..:D

aj

ajs
22-06-2009, 16:54
I don't think age really matters when you have a common interest as long as you can personally mix with and tolerate all others. At my upcoming meet we will have all ages and all types of folk joining in the and party etc and it will be good! Old or young, we can all learn and benefit from each other.
This, to my way of thinking, makes the average age around 35.
Paol.

:eek:.. games... :eek:....that's me out...was bankin on sex, drugs and rock and roll at my age :D

aj

rebbyvid
22-06-2009, 16:59

i'm an exception at 60 :eek:.. maybe :confused:

regards;)
aj
And yer met me:D:D

ajs
22-06-2009, 17:52
And yer met me:D:D

yes... your the 1 responsible fer bringing down the average age....:mad:

regards :D
aj

Hirohito
22-06-2009, 18:17
I think the Missus & I beat you all ? we are both over 72 ! In May, wildcamped from Campbeltown down to Cheltenham to see the son. Stayed 4 days in a pub car park. Wildcamped up to Cairnryan & took the ferry to Larne in N.I. Went to Carrickfergus to see the daughter & stayed for a week in an area to the rear of their property.Travelled back to Larne, back to Cairnryan & headed for Berwick-on-Tweed. Wildcamped via the east coast, over the Forth Road Bridge up to & over the Kincardine Bridge to Crianlarich. Headed for Oban but took the back road down to Inverary. From there, headed home via Lochgilphead & Tarbert. Past Tarbert on the A83 we headed east to a lovely site called Grogport (between Carradale & Crossaig) & wildcamped there because we didn't want to take the 30 miles home ! Roughly 2 weeks & 1300 miles. Not bad for our age & a Ford Transit MK 4 with no power steering. Regards.

Polly
22-06-2009, 18:52
Hia
Age now let me see if i can remember oh yes thats it think of a number add 5 multiply by 8 divide by 3 and yes you should have your age

58 rising to 59 in August
:D:D:D:D

Belgian
22-06-2009, 18:58
Ages don't matter anymore at a certain age (this begins when a birthday becomes a burden) :o
We both are retired now, and enjoying the years left. :p
As long as we could get into bed in the overcab it's OK.:rolleyes: (otherwise we put the table down ;))
'Wilders don't die, they just fade away" :cool:

Belgian
22-06-2009, 19:07
Hia
Age now let me see if i can remember oh yes thats it think of a number add 5 multiply by 8 divide by 3 and yes you should have your age

58 rising to 59 in August
:D:D:D:D

Hi Polly,
You're still be among the playfull lambs in the field :cool::p
Leo

wormold
22-06-2009, 19:22
interesting post

I am now 56 and have a 13 year old talbot m home. I have been motor caravaning off and on since I was 19 - first van A35 van whilst at college in London - mattress in the back and college showers. Saved a fortune and lived in all the best places, Barnes, Twickenham etc. several VWs later and love my little petrol Talbot Autohome - brilliant conversion with shower and toliet.

I am intending to some serious travel in it next year - South Africa or Mongolia. Would be interested in convoying up with ANO if they fancy it. ETD Easter 2010

grath
22-06-2009, 19:24
My first M/H trip was when I was about 6 months of age and my dad had a 5 ton truck and he built a frame and put a sheet over it and a double bed inside and we went to Cornwall. (money was tight) but at least we had a holiday every year:cool:
I have the photographs to confirm this:cool:

knollgardener1
22-06-2009, 19:24
Congrats to you both! If I can do similar trips at your age I`ll be a happy camper, lol.
What do they say? If you don`t use it you lose it. If you keep doing what you love doing you`ll stay forever young at heart. Hope you have many more happy trips together!

Sarina.

Polly
22-06-2009, 19:27
Hia
Overhead cab
don't ask ok I will tell you
I thought i might try it . I was at home and climbed up the ladder and onto the bed. No probs Plenty of room untill i tried to get down.
Good job no cameras were about. This was not easy legs dangling in mid air not being able to find the ladder. If anyone could see me they would have had a great laugh I should have had the video camera running and then you all could have wet yourselves laughing :eek::eek::D:D:D
I can laugh abut it as there were no witnessess:D:D:D
it was funny though once i was down :D:D

knollgardener1
22-06-2009, 19:32
Ages don't matter anymore at a certain age (this begins when a birthday becomes a burden) :o
As long as we could get into bed in the overcab it's OK.:rolleyes: (otherwise we put the table down ;))

I certainly agree with your sentiments. I`ve stopped counting years already (was 45 in Feb.) and will grow old disgracefully, lol!

Sarina

Belgian
22-06-2009, 19:53
Hia
Overhead cab
don't ask ok I will tell you
I thought i might try it . I was at home and climbed up the ladder and onto the bed. No probs Plenty of room untill i tried to get down.
Good job no cameras were about. This was not easy legs dangling in mid air not being able to find the ladder. If anyone could see me they would have had a great laugh I should have had the video camera running and then you all could have wet yourselves laughing :eek::eek::D:
I can laugh abut it as there were no witnessess:D:
it was funny though once i was down :D:D

I know Polly,I had the same feeling when my ladder was on lying the floor and me upthere.:D
But: what went down doesn't come up again :eek::cool:
Polly put the ladder on ?:cool:

DRS
22-06-2009, 19:54
51 in body about 15 in spirit.

frogdude
22-06-2009, 20:21
I'm 2 years older than my 'van, which makes me 33, and I have experienced some age discrimination. Most has been from more mature drivers of large expensive motorhomes though, rather than site owners or police.

Baggins
22-06-2009, 20:37
Well done Hirohito & wife.

Keep on truckin'

BW

channa
22-06-2009, 20:55
Actual age 39
Mental Age .....

Exactly, I have a 40 something carcass with a 15 year old mindset :)

Has for my age ...well 40 plus VAT !!!:p

Channa

Janeyjane
22-06-2009, 21:01
42 and therefore trying to find the question to life, the universe and everything, through motorhoming......

Magmez13
22-06-2009, 21:04
I'm 42 and her indoors is 43....don't tell her I told you that ;) Van is 21 and still going strong. WE enjoy our van more as we get older and can't wait for this year's expidition in 5 weeks time!!!!

rattusnq
23-06-2009, 08:55
I'm 47 and my good lady is 42, both of us act about 25 as we are always out at the weekends to some sort of event, which leads me into an event that is happening on the 24th,25th,26th july in sheffield its a scooter convention with mod music, ska -two tone and nothern soul, 4 bands and karaoke but singing with live band! This is at the Davy's sports centre(info on the net)for the whole weekend its only a TENNER!!!!! MOTORHOMES MORE THAN WELCOME(no hook up) there are wc facilities ,showers ,beer tent ,food....all we need is the weather, apparantley they held one last year and expected 500 people but ended up with 1200 and all proceeds go to charity. If this is
your kinda thing,for a tenner you can't go wrong

chopper
23-06-2009, 17:19
35 here and love the wild camping
always away in the unfinished van and found some great places :D if i didnt have a daughter at school i think me and the misses would be full timing

watchthis
23-06-2009, 18:32
I'm sixty and very FEW:D:D:confused:
Bye for now
Feddie

Kontiki
23-06-2009, 18:43

I would say it's "Wilders don't die, they just get moved on"

I'm 63 but don't think any different to when I was 16 (just wish I was)

chigman
23-06-2009, 19:17
Bought my first and only van two years ago when I was 43.:) She's the same age.

steve

petercheason
23-06-2009, 19:24
I am 62 ...usually act about 12 and half and I must say pretty fit , apart from a large loss of intellect (which was low to start with ) and even more of hair ...age only matters to the Young

wilthebeast
23-06-2009, 20:27
Had a giggle at this - have done the same! However, a better way: have BBQ, drink half bottle of vodka, go to bed up in raised bed above garage (696G SE), next - wake up on the floor, 4'6" below in a 'sat upright position' , having fallen through a 2 foot gap!! And you thought that was that 4.6 on the richter scale earthquake!! (Mrs Wilthebeast!)
This was responding to Polly's events in the overhead cab!

lenny
23-06-2009, 20:40
Had a giggle at this - have done the same! However, a better way: have BBQ, drink half bottle of vodka, go to bed up in raised bed above garage (696G SE), next - wake up on the floor, 4'6" below in a 'sat upright position' , having fallen through a 2 foot gap!! And you thought that was that 4.6 on the richter scale earthquake!! (Mrs Wilthebeast!)
This was responding to Polly's events in the overhead cab!

The wife(Christine) did the same last weekend at Croft Park, got up through the night and stepped out of bed (overcab bed) thought she was at home:o:D, one almighty thud:eek: ended up on her butt ,looked up at me a little dazed to say the least.
Amazingly ,no injuries so laughed myself back to sleep.

BTW I,m 50 + V.A.T.:p

Telstar
23-06-2009, 20:59
Well its no good me posting that we are both still in our 30s. With all you older folk on here, our ages are not going to bring the average down.

Jon

kangooroo
24-06-2009, 00:16
I'm 44 in years but about 14 in my mind...

nomogram
24-06-2009, 08:22
we're of the tick-box option '30 - 37', but definitely believe camping and the the general outdoor pursuits associated if more of a lifestyle thing than it is an age thing :)

Chrissy
24-06-2009, 10:32
we're of the tick-box option '30 - 37', but definitely believe camping and the the general outdoor pursuits associated if more of a lifestyle thing than it is an age thing :)

Well said, I couldn't agree more, it feels like because we have made this lifestyle choice we feel a connection with other MH's and wilders who have made the same sort of lifestyle choice as "like attracts like", regardless of age and money.

Chrissy

Pioneer
24-06-2009, 12:25
Originally Posted by nomogram
we're of the tick-box option '30 - 37', but definitely believe camping and the the general outdoor pursuits associated if more of a lifestyle thing than it is an age thing

nomogram, I agree, even though I must be getting into the last tick box, and still loving the great outdoors.

Well said, I couldn't agree more, it feels like because we have made this lifestyle choice we feel a connection with other MH's and wilders who have made the same sort of lifestyle choice as "like attracts like", regardless of age and money.

Chrissy

And well said Chrissy, age and money does'nt come into play, within the Motorhome fraternity, or it should'nt do.

Happy Camping:) for all.

coventrycraig
24-06-2009, 20:12
34 years old!

hard work isnt it?
Craig

kimbowbill
24-06-2009, 21:07
no need to slimbo.. already know..:D

aj

no ya dont so ner ner, could be fibbing:)

ajs
25-06-2009, 09:25
no ya dont so ner ner, could be fibbing:)

nehh... easy... yer 21 ... they all tell me this so yer probably no exception:D

regards;)
aj

Wee-z
25-06-2009, 17:24
How about 21 and a bit and a bit and a bit and a bit more:D:D

weez
Tony

burpysmurf
25-06-2009, 20:13
I'm 38, hubby 46 with a toddler of 15 months - colleagues took the p*** at first but are now most envious of our weekend tales!! First motorhome for us, although we had previously hired in Oz and NZ and caught "the bug"!!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS