PDA

View Full Version : Dunkeld

kimbowbill
24-06-2009, 21:11
hi yall

has anyone visited Dunkeld recently? i've seen the posts on here but they are a couple of years old, twas wondering if anything had change,

J

Yogihughes
25-06-2009, 17:18
Didn't get to Dunkeld this trip J but got MIDGED at Loch Rannoch Tues and Wed nights.

Wee-z
25-06-2009, 17:28
Hi New Rover

did you wild at the sandy beach

Last time I was there I had to clear up lots of broken glass

but it is great up there

did you stop to feed the rocking frog?

weez
Tony

Wee-z
25-06-2009, 17:46
Have never used the SWT site ourselves but have seen vans overnighting there this year. Well worth a visit to see all the wild life.

We use the Hermitage quite often, It has always been quiet for us. Once heard boy racers going up past the wee car park but police came by soon after and all went quiet again. Husband was out for a walk at time but still near van. Just asked if we were staying overnight and when we said yes said fine

dippingatoe
18-01-2014, 18:23
Hi I was thinking of spending a night at Dunkeld in the next couple of weeks. I am not only new to the area but a total novice to motorhoming. Any tips anyone? Many thanks

runnach
18-01-2014, 18:44
If I want a break from driving and a bite to eat, I stop at the Hermitage. Although I have never spent the night there, I would have no hesitation to do so. If you do decide to overnight, drive down to bottom car park, it is further from A9, so should be quieter.

dippingatoe
18-01-2014, 18:47
Thats great thanks. Are the approach roads very narrow, I dont have much confidence yet, though of course I may have when I have driven up there (currently in Wolverhampton!)

caledonia
18-01-2014, 19:08
There is a forestry commision car park along the end of the main street and turn right up the hill. Its nice and quiet and not to far to walk into the village for dram in the Tay bank hotel bar {owned by Dougie Mclean who wrote Caledonia, scotlands favoured national anthem].

runnach
18-01-2014, 19:59
Thats great thanks. Are the approach roads very narrow, I dont have much confidence yet, though of course I may have when I have driven up there (currently in Wolverhampton!)

Here it is on Google Maps http://goo.gl/maps/p9ygE if you can cyber drive in street view mode down he road, you'll be fine in real time :D

Caledonia, can you post G map link of forestry park location, please.

Btw, I see you're just up the road at the rigg......

caledonia
18-01-2014, 20:32
Hi Runnach ,fc car park is over the tay bridge, along the main street, turn right onto Blairgowrie road and first left. Not very good with computer malarky so posting location coordinates is beyond me sorry. Aye been a B.rigg lad all my days. I take it your not to far me?

kernewek
18-01-2014, 21:42
Hi Dippingatoe! Hermitage is lovely for a visit, roads in to both car parks are fine. I was there for a day early November, and there was a fair size of traveller camp in the top car park. Not sure if they are still there. I know some folk have different opinions about traveller folk but just FYI.

Luckheart
18-01-2014, 23:01
hi yall

has anyone visited Dunkeld recently? i've seen the posts on here but they are a couple of years old, twas wondering if anything had change,

J

Well I ain't been there either Kimbowbill but congrats on starting the most mercilessly hijacked thread I've seen for a long time!!:D

runnach
19-01-2014, 08:07
Well I ain't been there either Kimbowbill but congrats on starting the most mercilessly hijacked thread I've seen for a long time!!:mad2:

Eh! How do you work that out?

caledonia
19-01-2014, 08:26
Seems i have a knack off p1ssin folks off!

maingate
19-01-2014, 09:04
Seems i have a knack off p1ssin folks off!

Naah, take no notice of him.

He's depressed ...... sadly, he has just lost his belly button. :cry:

Luckheart
19-01-2014, 09:09
Posted with a smile.

Sorry if I offended, its just Kimbo asked if anyone had been to Dunkeld and everyone had been somewhere else nearby

Just made me laugh after reading Kimbo's post "18th 19th April, themed meet, fancy dress "

I have learned not to be abrasive round here, I just want to go camping!

Am I forgiven or must I use a CC site for a week as penance:D

Luckheart
19-01-2014, 09:12
Naah, take no notice of him.

He's depressed ...... sadly, he has just lost his belly button. :cry:
Still clinging to the Holly Willoughby's dimple straw.

runnach
19-01-2014, 09:16
Posted with a smile.

Sorry if I offended, its just Kimbo asked if anyone had been to Dunkeld and everyone had been somewhere else nearby

Just made me laugh after reading Kimbo's post "18th 19th April, themed meet, fancy dress "

I have learned not to be abrasive round here, I just want to go camping!

Am I forgiven or must I use a CC site for a week as penance:D

That was the point of mentioning nearby WC locations, although Dunkeld is a small town, like other towns, WC-ing within would be frowned on, hence our the words of wisdom from those who know area.

You will be forgiven when you write a hundreds lines along with maingate. ;)

runnach
19-01-2014, 12:20
Must be 2nd left, 1st takes you into an industrial estate. http://goo.gl/maps/faKNJ

Aye, I'm down DK not far from where the idiots run the asylum :)

magbrin
19-01-2014, 15:06
We have regularly wild parked in the town car park almost opposite the Taybank. In fact it was the relatively new owner, of the Taybank, not Dougie McLean (who sold it a while ago) who said we could park there - because we asked if we could park in his CP! We have sometimes seen others there, too.
It is free overnight and on Sundays. I can't remember what the day rate is, as we are rarely there for long, unless it is a Sunday, as we are usually just passing up or down A9.
Directions - take South exit of A9 to Dunkeld, go over the bridge and immediately turn right. CP 100 yards or so on RHS.

caledonia
19-01-2014, 17:19
Yes runnach, second left up the forest road then left into carpark, some nice walks there also. Dougie Mclean sold the tay bank in 2003. Had a good night there a couple of years ago. Was heading for Aviemore and they shut the snow gates. Stayed in the carpark magbrin mentioned. Lovely stovies and real ale in the tay bank with a wee impromtu music session and sing song in the bar.:cheers:

runnach
19-01-2014, 17:55
Cheers for this, keep this spot (with ales) in mind next time we're up there!!

mike9jr
05-07-2014, 18:20
Stayed in Dunkeld the other night. I climb up there so knew of a car park below upper cave crag. Its about 50 yards up the A923 Blairgowrie road (2nd left i think), up a dirt track for a couple of mins (house on the corner), which I took in 1st gear, bit bouncy! Up to the top then left into the car park. It was a super quiet and peaceful night. Not sure if its on the POI database or not (dont have it.)

Mike

POI Admin
07-07-2014, 13:23
Thanks for the suggestion ...

Yes this is in the Wild Camp POIs, listed as CR Cally Hill :D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS