PDA

View Full Version : Does App (Android) Work Offline?

deckboy
16-07-2017, 11:53
Possibly covered already, but will the App (Android) work WITHOUT internet connection?

bazzybabes
16-07-2017, 12:02
No sir, it doesn't work without internet connection.

But Osmand does, thanks to Morphology. See this post:

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-and-support/46949-import-wild-camping-poi-files-osmand.html?highlight=

Regards, Barry

Admin
16-07-2017, 12:55
Possibly covered already, but will the App (Android) work WITHOUT internet connection?

Our new app will work offline. It will be released in the next 6-8 weeks.

phillybarbour
16-07-2017, 12:59
Looking forward to new off line app, great move for many who struggle importing files into other devices. Thanks for this brill development.

deckboy
16-07-2017, 18:36
No sir, it doesn't work without internet connection.

But Osmand does, thanks to Morphology. See this post:

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/poi-file-help-and-support/46949-import-wild-camping-poi-files-osmand.html?highlight=

Regards, Barry

Thanks.
Already got all the POIs on Maps.me and Sygic which are my main navigation tools on a Samsung TAB A, but thought the app would be handy.
I see further down Admin says there is an offline version on the way :)

OldAgeTravellers
18-09-2017, 15:34
Our new app will work offline. It will be released in the next 6-8 weeks.

I read somewhere that the new app would be using "Open Street Maps" for offline use and today spotted the Android app version 2 and downloaded it. But it seems to be using Google Maps so requires internet for any detail. Or have I configured it wrong. Do I have to download Open Street Maps first. Unfortunately even at home I only have Satellite internet so very low bandwidth and a very limited data allowance.

I already have Maps.me, Camperstop and now Wild Camping installed on my tablet, all use different maps, most frustrating.

I used to use Autoroute which was perfect ran an a solid state Eee-PC on the dashboard, showed a constant moving map and speedo and all the Wild camping poi's as we approached them. Unfortunately it became very unreliable after the move to Win10. It could also show a GPS track which was great for checking routes.

Maps.me has a track feature but only lasts for 12 hours before automatically deleting.

So how do I get the offline version of WildCamping.
Thanks,
Steve

POI Admin
18-09-2017, 15:51
The new version of the app has yet to be released. It will be numbered version 3 when it becomes available. Keep an eye open for the release date announcement.

The version you have installed uses Google Maps as you have discovered and requires an internet connection.

OpenStreetMap will be the basis of the new app. Many apps use OSM but they may look very different since the representation is highly customisable. Only the base data is constant.

Autoroute did indeed provide a good solution. But it is now a long time since Microsoft dropped the product so the map data is very out of date.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS