PDA

View Full Version : Update on our Stolen Motorhome

maureenandtom
01-08-2017, 15:25
I want a motorhome. Mine. I want it back, please.

Stolen overnight from the front door. There at bedtime, gone this morning. Done soundlessly. Fiat Ducato base though 03 registration. How do they bypass the ignition system? I thought they had to steal the keys to get these modern systems away?

No debris left behind. No broken glass or any such thing though I suppose campervans are easy to get into. I'd drill holes in a plastic window and just slip the catches - but the modern ignition system? Reported to the police (101) who will get back to me. They hope today but their "information systems are down" so they will get back to me as soon as possible.

So I have no van and now personal transport either. Just the pushbike and a bus pass. Not happy.

Have you seen the price of vans nowadays? You'd wonder why they're so popular.

My insurers are Axa through Adrian Flux. I anticipated a lot of hard work but Adrian Flux took details and then transferred me to Axa who also took details. Both places calm, friendly and confident. Me in some turmoil and them matter of fact; you'd think campervans are stolen every day. Nobody blamed me. Axa wanted a load of documentation and sent me a list of things to send in. Wasn't all that big a load

Got news they are stolen every day. I asked if my policy was still alive, that is, could I go and buy a replacement van or a cheap runaround motor car and use the same policy and, yes, I can. Axa have a website where you can watch the progress being made on your claim. I read on some website or other the Financial Services Ombudsman, I think, but haven't been able to find it again that the Fiat ignition system is, maybe was, supposed to be impregnable and a few years ago claims were turned down because it was felt the owner must be implicated. Worrisome.

But, after a fairly shaky start the initial response from Axa didn't arrive as quickly as they said things moved smoothly. There were two or three calls from Axa for information but always the same guy who knew what was wanted and what we'd already talked about. No going over the same thing time after time with somebody new.

Then, yesterday afternoon, the same guy rang and we agreed a valuation for the van and then, surprise, we went through a list of contents and agreed a valuation there too. He promised the settlement would be in my bank account within 48 hours and I checked my account this morning and there it was - about 18 hours.

The policy has paid out and the money is in my account. The whole process was painless and friendly and took just five weeks from report to settlement.

I'd rather have had the van still but I'm now a fan of Axa.

I've been looking at vans I have no other personal transport and I miss it dreadfully but we're going to take our time. Our stolen van fitted our needs just about exactly and we'd like to make sure we get another that fits our needs too. We've been lucky - we've had four vans over the years and always they've been just right; we hope to make sure the next one is too.

But ... we'll be paying even more attention to security while parked unoccupied, even outside the house, maybe especially outside the house; I have some ideas and I'll share them when I've developed them.

carol
01-08-2017, 15:31
Glad to hear you sounding so positive about what must be a sad and devastating event. I know it's only metal and things but it's natural to get attached to things we know and love, that bring us pleasure and good memories. Good luck with your search for a replacement. Btw, what happens if it is recovered?

Fazerloz
01-08-2017, 15:32
Good to hear a positive about insurance and glad you seem happy with the outcome.

channa
01-08-2017, 15:40
If it is recovered Carol it belongs the insurance company, they may however sell it to Maureen and Tom salvage value if it is ever recovered.

Hopefully you guys can move on.

One final thought now the insurers have paid out please double check you are still covered on a vehicle normally YOU ARENT...the policy has paid out so in effect terminates.

Years ago I had a trooper an total loss claim and the policy died when the insurers paid out and was told normal practice. It is worth double checking you do not want an IN10 endorsement on your licence, has the same effect as a drunk driving conviction

Channa

maja07
01-08-2017, 15:47
We have just fitted maplin tracker but wonder if we'd prefer the insurance payout LOL....as mentioned above if the van ticks all you really miss it. Hope Channa n MaureenTom have good outcomes....Maja

yorkslass
01-08-2017, 17:32
A good result from a bad situation. Hope you find a new van really soon.

wildebus
01-08-2017, 18:17

I'd rather have had the van still but I'm now a fan of Axa.

I had my workshop broken into, thousands of pounds of tools stolen, as well as my 18 month old top spec RAV4

Insured with AXA and they processed the claim without any dramas, and I got my payouts from them within a couple of weeks.
Found them a totally excellent company :dance:

tranivanman
21-08-2017, 14:27
sorry to hear of your problems but hopefully you got the value you needed in order to get a replacement van, good hunting.

I have moved my odb ports on my 3 vans, Transits, and just bought a Clutch Lock, its a thing thats fits over the clutch pedal with a H/Duty lock to stop the pedal being pushed down, so you cant change gear, it can also be fitted to the Brake pedal too , cheap thing of Fle bay but it seems to do what its supposed to do and it might just deter someone from steeling the van if they see it, plus if they get in and find the odb port is not there were its supposed to be that to might make them think twice.

tranivanman

maureenandtom
21-08-2017, 19:25
I'm finding it more difficult than I'd thought to buy a replacement van. The insurance settlement was generous and there are plenty of vans about in my price range. We've seen two or three that we really thought might be suitable but all but one, so far, have fallen for one reason or antother a poor MoT history and doubts about whether faults had been fixed; or seemingly trivial stuff. We liked a rear lounge, we thought, and then we found that what goes with a comfortable rear lounge is a stupidly awkward kitchen. Nowhere to chop carrots or knead bread or keep a small waste bin or keep potatoes . and so it goes on. We both seem to be very picky which we never were in the past.

What sticks in both our minds though is that if the van is stolen again we can't really expect that the insurance company to be so reasonable again and it's truly a brake on every van we look at. We like something and then . how can we protect it.

We may well take very much time over it. But we're not ex-motorhomers yet.

didds
21-08-2017, 19:32
I'd say that should you be so unfortunate as to have your next MH stolen the insurance company would still have to pay out - that is their contractural agreement (assuming you met all requirements of the policy etc naturally ).

The "issue" maybe your next premium. But once the premium is paid they are in it for whatevr it does or does not bring them. They can't just say "we ain't paying" etc.

didds

blights
12-09-2017, 20:12
Good luck with your search it does not matter how long it takes the main thing is you are both happy and it meets all your needs. But look at it this way the more you look at the more you can help people on here who have a question about a certain one you may well have looked at it lol
ps I am the same no potato storage no deal

jagmanx
12-09-2017, 20:15
Disklok seems the best prevention.

Maybe an alarm as well,

Hope you find a suitable vehicle...and yes be picky

trevskoda
12-09-2017, 20:25
Put a pos wire from houst to body work,any t leaves will be found frazeled or next doors dog laying in garden with one leg cocked b-lls burst and eyes shot.:scared:

maureenandtom
13-09-2017, 07:18
We're going to look at this, this afternoon.

http://www.motorlands.co.uk/used-van/compass/avantgarde-130/peugeot-boxer-2-2-hdi-100/for-sale-in-lytham-st-annes-lancashire/aetv67539314/

It has a good MoT history but with a, possibly, a big drawback. What is the vehicle's registration number - MOT History (https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/) (The Reg is SF07 FMK if that link doesn't take you to the correct page.). There has been no MoT since April 2015 and I wonder why - though I will ask. Stood for a year? Things deteriorating because of that?

At 70 I let my licence downgrade so I'm restricted for that reason - but also because I've not had a car since 1990 and don't want one so the van has to be small enough to use for ordinary domestic transport.

We're not in a great hurry. This will probably be our last motorhome so we have to get it right.

Thanks for all the comments.

Tom

jagmanx
13-09-2017, 07:22
We're going to look at this, this afternoon.

http://www.motorlands.co.uk/used-van/compass/avantgarde-130/peugeot-boxer-2-2-hdi-100/for-sale-in-lytham-st-annes-lancashire/aetv67539314/

It has a good MoT history but with a, possibly, a big drawback. What is the vehicle's registration number - MOT History (https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/) (The Reg is SF07 FMK if that link doesn't take you to the correct page.). There has been no MoT since April 2015 and I wonder why - though I will ask. Stood for a year? Things deteriorating because of that?

At 70 I let my licence downgrade so I'm restricted for that reason - but also because I've not had a car since 1990 and don't want one so the van has to be small enough to use for ordinary domestic transport.

We're not in a great hurry. This will probably be our last motorhome so we have to get it right.

Thanks for all the comments.

Tom

Similar size to ours
Ok to live in and park in some carparks
Under 3500kg

maureenandtom
20-09-2017, 07:29

Higher authority says it won't do. The loo isn't up to standard. Apparently. The basin folds up (to use the loo) and down (to use the basin). It won't do. Apparently.

We have another two possibles to look at (same place) but we're still trying not to hurry.

http://www.motorlands.co.uk/used-motorhome/autocruise/starfire/peugeot-boxer-2-2-hdi/for-sale-in-lytham-st-annes-lancashire/aetv50554960/

http://www.motorlands.co.uk/used-motorhome/ace/capri/fiat-ducato-2-0-jtd/for-sale-in-lytham-st-annes-lancashire/aetv36179169/

They're more like the one stolen.

blights
20-09-2017, 08:21
I think the Ace is a lot of buck for what it is the auto one looks a lot nice to look at but is the sink standard as a different colour if not I would question the replacement both nice vans though but me I would sway to the autocruise. That is just my opinion mind you it is good fun hunting though keep looking

AllanD
20-09-2017, 08:44

Higher authority says it won't do. The loo isn't up to standard. Apparently. The basin folds up (to use the loo) and down (to use the basin). It won't do. Apparently.

We have another two possibles to look at (same place) but we're still trying not to hurry.

http://www.motorlands.co.uk/used-motorhome/autocruise/starfire/peugeot-boxer-2-2-hdi/for-sale-in-lytham-st-annes-lancashire/aetv50554960/

http://www.motorlands.co.uk/used-motorhome/ace/capri/fiat-ducato-2-0-jtd/for-sale-in-lytham-st-annes-lancashire/aetv36179169/

They're more like the one stolen.

If you (or the higher authority) still like the Compass apart from the sink perhaps don't rule it out yet? We have such a sink in our van, I was concerned about it before buying but needn't have been, it's easy to use and quickly became second nature. It's also great for cleaning because it lifts out. We like the efficiency of it.

maureenandtom
20-09-2017, 09:20
If you (or the higher authority) still like the Compass apart from the sink perhaps don't rule it out yet? We have such a sink in our van, I was concerned about it before buying but needn't have been, it's easy to use and quickly became second nature. It's also great for cleaning because it lifts out. We like the efficiency of it.

Thanks for that. I didn't know it lifted out - that's useful. It was just pointed out that it could, possibly, be easily damaged and not so easily repaired. We'll have another look. There were one or two other small issues too - damaged floor and bits and pieces but we'll have another look. Thanks.

Tom

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS