PDA

View Full Version : Robin Hood's Bay

yozz
05-07-2009, 18:09
Overnighted in the the Station car park in Robin Hood's Bay last week. As you head down into the village it's on the right opposite the Grosvenor Hotel. It's the overflow car park with coach spaces. You need a ticket between 9am and 6pm, but free outside those hours, and best of all nothing on their signs about overnight parking :)

The Hotel has live music on Tuesday and Saturday night. I was there on Tuesday and didn't know this. I had the rooflights open cos it was a warm one and eventually curiosity got the better of me and I wandered over to see what what was going on ;) Ended up having a few pints and enjoying the atmosphere before heading back to the van and getting me head down.

After egg and bacon sarnies in the morning I spent an hour exploring the place. It's an old smugglers cove and to be fair an hour in no way does does it justice, but I needed to get back on the road and up to the Northumberland coast.

shardav
14-07-2009, 18:46
went to the station carpark on tuesday and saw opposite the toilet block a sign attached to the payment machine stating no overnight parking so left and went back to bluebank

yozz
15-07-2009, 17:22
What kind of sign was it. Official or not?

I was there a couple of weeks ago and there was nothing about overnighting.

I'll take a look next time I'm passing that way :)

shardav
15-07-2009, 18:07
yes it did look Official it was as you drive in about 50 yards on the left just where the overflow carpark is it stopped me from overnighting didn't fancy a fine

yozz
15-07-2009, 19:12
The sign for the overflow car park you are describing isn't opposite the toilet block. Sounds like you're getting things a bit muddled up.

These kinds of things have to go through committees, and then be rubber-stamped, before they are implemented legally without leaving the authorities open to legal challenge.

It might well be that I wildcamped there a week or two before this legal process resulted in signs saying no overnight parking. :cool:

You're making me want to wildcamp in Robin Hood's Bay again shardav :D

Sandie
02-08-2011, 20:19
Hi,
I know it's a while since this thread was running, but I wonder if anyone knows the current status regarding overnight stays at the RHB station car park? I knew a couple about a year ago who regularly stayed there, they were not the type to take chances and seemed to be happy that it was allowed, although a ticket was required. As I said, though, that was a while ago AND was out of peak season. Does anyone know the latest situation and whether there are seasonal differences in what is allowed, as in many such places?

Sandie

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS