PDA

View Full Version : the buggers are after my ass ! [beach donkey rant ]

n brown
03-09-2017, 14:40
petition to ban beach donkeys has been signed by over 100,000 people
reasons given
''imagine if you had to carry a child on your back up and down in the blazing sun !''
'' the hot sand burns our feet, it must be terrible for them standing in it all day''
''wearing a fur coat in that heat and having to work ''

any comments ?

Lee
03-09-2017, 14:55
It's just another one of those crazy things that people are wanting do in this modern world, which makes me think more and more about opting out and just let it all go by.
I don't understand how civilization has made it this far without all these crazy ideas being implemented.

runnach
03-09-2017, 15:04
They're not complaining in France. :D

izwozral
03-09-2017, 15:14
What next? Give horses, cows, sheep, donkeys, goats, llamas et al parasols to protect them from the sun all day in the field? A small child on a donkeys back is no comparison to some of the fatties I have seen on horses.

n brown
03-09-2017, 15:33
what these dimwits fail to grasp is that walking kids up and down a beach for about 6 weeks a year , is not just a cushy number, but pretty much the only use we in the west have for donkeys and from experience with the stubborn buggers,if they didn't want to do it, they wouldn't !. take that job away and nobody will want to keep them so they'll die out. after all,they make lousy pets and nobody seems keen to eat them.

Wully
03-09-2017, 15:39
I can remember 😜 when they were skinned to make work jackets

janner
03-09-2017, 15:58
they are still used in salami

Haaamster
03-09-2017, 16:00
Donkey kebabs. :idea:

Haaamster
03-09-2017, 16:01
they are still used in salami

Which part? :scared:

Byronic
03-09-2017, 16:14
what these dimwits fail to grasp is that walking kids up and down a beach for about 6 weeks a year , is not just a cushy number, but pretty much the only use we in the west have for POLITICIANS and from experience with the stubborn buggers,if they didn't want to do it, they wouldn't !. take that job away and nobody will want to keep them so they'll die out. after all,they make lousy pets and nobody seems keen to eat them.

I'm sure that's what you really meant?

yeoblade
03-09-2017, 19:32
Don't see the problem :p

rugbyken
03-09-2017, 19:44
only work six weeks where do you find more than four days of sun we used it all up at henley

trevskoda
03-09-2017, 20:51
what these dimwits fail to grasp is that walking kids up and down a beach for about 6 weeks a year , is not just a cushy number, but pretty much the only use we in the west have for donkeys and from experience with the stubborn buggers,if they didn't want to do it, they wouldn't !. take that job away and nobody will want to keep them so they'll die out. after all,they make lousy pets and nobody seems keen to eat them.

Naaaay donkeys make good pets,they are respected in ireland and have right of way on roads,they think your the ASS:lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-053:

Wully
03-09-2017, 21:34
If you go to Ibrox stadium they've got eleven of them on the grass every Saturday.

jeanette
03-09-2017, 23:49
I have seen how well they are looked after both at Blackpool and Scarborough and I would think other places which is very well!! As the RSPCA keeps checking on them!! They will not be able to find homes for them I would imagine! (Noisy buggers)!!

Minisorella
04-09-2017, 11:08
There are lots of donkeys at Clovelly in Devon. The streets are very steep and cobbled and cars are banned, so the donkeys pull little sleds to deliver the mail and the milk, etc. They all seem very happy and healthy and get lots of attention and love from their carers and all the tourists. I do have a problem with zoos and old-school circuses and 'performing' animals in general but I have far too many happy memories of donkey and pony rides on the beach as a child to want to see it banned. Head vs heart vs nostalgia.

caledonia
04-09-2017, 11:18
They do alright those donkeys. I had a friend who was from a wealthy family but fell out with his parents. He was shocked when they died and left thier or his fortune to a donkey sanctuary. :scared:

channa
04-09-2017, 11:24
The problem with a lot of these animals isn't so much what happens when they are useful, normally cared for ,( someones living) it is what happens when they reach retirement ,then it becomes a precarious future. Zoos I have mixed feelings ( remember I was a rep keeper in a zoo) a lot of good work is done with breeding programmes to re introduce to the wild, Wolves were reintodruced in a part of the states the area has flourished by re installing a primary predator,,,,that wouldn't have happened without zoological work. We all benefit an eco system back in kilter.Equally many times I felt the inmates be better off in nature...then there is the question of educational value ....raises some interesting questions

I looked after snakes and keep my own, they offer so many answers to our woes , it is only a matter of time it is believed that they hold the answers to cancer and heart disease as example and studies have already proved that..( not theory proved it).what is frustrating is they will be preserved because something in it for man not the fact they are part of the earths fauna and flora.

Biggest threat to all of it has two legs Homo Sapien

Channa

st3v3
04-09-2017, 11:41
Ah, the Facebook freaks strike again....

n brown
04-09-2017, 12:10
after some firemen saved some piglets,the owner later .gave a load of bangers , made from the pigs, to the station , to say thanks. nice story i thought
apparently not ! the firemen had to delete their delighted thanks as some people thought it was cruel and nasty.
we used to keep rare breed pigs and more than once i have been asked how i could kill them and why couldn't i buy my meat from a supermarket like 'normal' people.
trying to explain that if people didn't eat these animals then they'd be of no use, couldn't be allowed to roam free and would be killed off or die out is actually too hard for some to grasp

jeanette
04-09-2017, 12:48
I know the donkeys at Blackpool come off the beach at lunch time and they don't even let people take photos of them you have to wait until they come back!(well they used to)!

channa
04-09-2017, 12:57
after some firemen saved some piglets,the owner later .gave a load of bangers , made from the pigs, to the station , to say thanks. nice story i thought
apparently not ! the firemen had to delete their delighted thanks as some people thought it was cruel and nasty.
we used to keep rare breed pigs and more than once i have been asked how i could kill them and why couldn't i buy my meat from a supermarket like 'normal' people.
trying to explain that if people didn't eat these animals then they'd be of no use, couldn't be allowed to roam free and would be killed off or die out is actually too hard for some to grasp

I agree with you ( not ready for hugging a tree just yet) ..we are a sanitised society , sausages originate in Asda dontcha know if but by magic. We have seriously lost the plot IMO.

My own thoughts are the animal has forsaken its life to feed you therefore treat it with respect and cook to the best of your ability...people that have worked with me in kitchens would quote that as my maxim. I do have a problem with waste and irreverence.

My issue is welfare standards whilst running about, life should be good for as long as it lasts I have no problem animals used for slaughter to feed us. I think there is a bit of a moral duty rather than see a commodity.

In the wider scale we are destroying habitats , quite frankly making a Horlicks of it all ..that is the part I am uncomfortable with we are so bright that we are upsetting balances of equilibrium and we suffer in the end...Man is not as bright as people like to think

Channa

channa
04-09-2017, 13:14
I know the donkeys at Blackpool come off the beach at lunch time and they don't even let people take photos of them you have to wait until they come back!(well they used to)! My time rep keeping, kids banging on glasses, no respect I blame parents ...people moaning they couldn't see our carpet python ,,,a crepuscular species they do hole up in the day, they had paid 19.50 to get in ...so what do you do ? ..I had a reindeer calf ...when little one arrived people moaning left right and centre , because her maternal instinct was to keep out the way for a day or so..( predatory protection an inbuilt nature) When she was ready she came out with her calf and introduced him to the world...I tell you had to be brave going anywhere close dad carried on munching lichen ..their has to be balance...I had to think of the animal and make no apology for that .

It is very hard to get the balance right .

I had a 9 ft boa constrictor called Millificent, ( humanising) anyway she has a respiratory infection,,,,so we had to give her anti biotics daily ...suffice to say she didn't enjoy the experience ...people moaning we weren't answering questions, believe me a 9 ft boa in a bad mood you watch closely,,questions last thing on your mind ...she bit a collegue straight through her trousers...hospital visit etc is it worth it ...? entertainment value v conservation I don't know to be honest...Millificent all the noise I brought her home a few days and looked after her ...she is fine now

Channa

janner
04-09-2017, 13:37
one of the men who has the donkeys at Blackpool is a full time motorhomer in the off season,travelling the country while the donkeys are in pasture.
sounds a nice way to spend one's autumn years,

n brown
04-09-2017, 14:04
used to be you could look after a Weston super Mare donkey in the off season,owners paid all the bills of course. great for the kids we thought
donkey gets delivered, so ,kids all excited, we got it saddled up, put the youngest aboard, and set off for a nice walk across the fields.
after about 50 yds donkey stops, turns round and faced the other way,and nothing we could do would persuade him to continue.
kids had a couple of goes up and down the track and soon got bored.
so for a few months it just stood pretty much in one place then got taken away, none of the kids missed it

izwozral
04-09-2017, 16:28
Louise, our daughter, screamed blue murder when we sat her on a donkey, she just didn't want to be on it. Next thing it starts to slowly amble, hundred yards on it turns round and slowly ambles back. I lifted her off the back and that was the one and only time she has thrown a tantrum, and I really mean a tantrum, of ballistic missile proportions. It didn't help that there were about a dozen adults corpsing with laughter at her.

I even remember the donkeys name, Sparkle!

Byronic
04-09-2017, 16:36
A donkey that refuses to carry kids around, hmmm I'd say that would be one smart donkey.

Only fools and horses work! Now where have I heard that said/sung :)

korky
04-09-2017, 17:19
Anyone got a link to this petition that everyone is pontificating about.

I can't find it anywhere.

Only reference is to a Bristol newspaper citing 100k signatures against donkeys at Cleveland beach.

When allegedly said petition is an international one about donkey welfare in tourist areas. Bit different.

Quite a bit about welfare issues in U.K. on Google,mostly in the past, thankfully.

Nothing wrong with beach rides on donkeys as long as they're not old,ill, or wearing ill fitting tack causing sores.

They must be fed and watered correctly, have rest days and can carry up to 8 stone I believe.

As with all animals there will be those who treat them badly, merely a resource to be used for profit and not sentient beings.

Korky.

Deleted user 21925
04-09-2017, 17:31
My next door neighbours like to rescue Donkeys. There are currently 3 of them in a paddock at the end of our garden.

They are actually quite friendly creatures, unlike the goats they keep as well, they are just weird!

jeanette
04-09-2017, 22:55
My next door neighbours like to rescue Donkeys. There are currently 3 of them in a paddock at the end of our garden.

They are actually quite friendly creatures, unlike the goats they keep as well, they are just weird!

I'm with you on the goats been weird Rob I personally hate the smelly things!! We knew a man a few years ago and honestly he had the biggest and smelliest Billy goat,it looked like Satan bliddy awful!!! Always wanted a donkey!

channa
04-09-2017, 23:52

They are actually quite friendly creatures, unlike the goats they keep as well, they are just weird!Once had a goat try and eat my jacket ....issue was I was still wearing it ....bloody thing

Channa

PS love em really full of character and stubborn do the opposite of what you expect...

jeanette
04-09-2017, 23:57
Once had a goat try and eat my jacket ....issue was I was still wearing it ....bloody thing

Channa

PS love em really full of character and stubborn do the opposite of what you expect...

Well that's me to a tee then Andrew because I'm a Capricorn!! Malcolm keeps say I'm stubborn!! :lol-061:

ricc
05-09-2017, 14:44
according to the daily wail today only 18k of the signitaries were from the uk

highlandron
05-09-2017, 19:39
Some years ago when I was backpacking out of Sagres, I spotted this character on my way into town for a beer. Can't remember seeing him in the carnival! Anyone for salami?

jeanette
05-09-2017, 23:21
:scared::rabbit::lol-061:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS