PDA

View Full Version : Helwith Bridge Yorkshire Dales

Gopricey
08-07-2009, 07:49
Fantastic little site attached to the pub - only 2.50 per night or free if eating in the pub

lenny
08-07-2009, 21:29
Fantastic little site attached to the pub - only 2.50 per night or free if eating in the pub

Hiya and welcome, thanks for this one ,will definitely give it a go;):)

tomboy352
19-09-2009, 12:40
This site is local to us and although we use the pub, I have neverneeded to stay and it has a large following. MH go there for the weekend to walk the Dales. The pub is quirky and friendly

samfromcas
19-09-2009, 19:45
hi gopricey whats the name of the pub,might give it a go next time i am out walking in that area thanks

John Thompson
19-09-2009, 21:13
hi gopricey whats the name of the pub,might give it a go next time i am out walking in that area thanks

Its called the Helwith Bridge.

I spent my mispent youth (1960s) caving and potholing in the dale and stayed in the row of cottages you can see near the top of the hill behind the pub. My cousin still has the cottage.

At that time the landlord would put a plate of pie and peas infront of every customer at 10:30

John Thompson
19-09-2009, 21:16

It's called the Helwith Bridge.

I spent my misspent youth (1960s) caving and potholing most weekends in the dale and stayed in the row of cottages you can see near the top of the hill behind the pub. My cousin still has the cottage.

At that time the landlord would put a plate of pie and peas infront of every customer at 10:30

ajs
28-09-2009, 17:44

reeeet...i'm a foregner te the youkshire ways...:confused:
and i'm lookin fer 2 maybe 3 different stopovers this weekend
and this may be 1 of em... but...:o

where the poke is this and tothers listed in the up norrrfff section :confused::confused:
... anyone... a jpeg of the google earth location, a friggin A road/intersection.. a google map... anyffink...:eek::rolleyes:

as believe it or not... i've never heard of the place...:o

i fank you...:D

regards;)
aj

John Thompson
28-09-2009, 19:34
Helwith Bridge is on the Austwick Road from the junction with the B6479 Ribble Head to Settle road. Between Horton in Ribblesdale and Stainforth.

54 7.273N 2 17.449W

zeezee16
28-09-2009, 19:38
reeeet...i'm a foregner te the youkshire ways...:confused:
and i'm lookin fer 2 maybe 3 different stopovers this weekend
and this may be 1 of em... but...:o

where the poke is this and tothers listed in the up norrrfff section :confused::confused:
... anyone... a jpeg of the google earth location, a friggin A road/intersection.. a google map... anyffink...:eek::rolleyes:

as believe it or not... i've never heard of the place...:o

i fank you...:D

regards;)
aj
Buy a map, you tight git.
Love Zeezee

ajs
28-09-2009, 20:27
Helwith Bridge is on the Austwick Road from the junction with the B6479 Ribble Head to Settle road. Between Horton in Ribblesdale and Stainforth.

54 7.273N 2 17.449W

ahhhha... there it is:rolleyes:....now why didn't yer all say earlier :D

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=756&stc=1&d=1254169403

wrong side fe me.. want te be whitby way...:mad:

regards;)
aj

ajs
28-09-2009, 20:29
Buy a map, you tight git.
Love Zeezee

gota piece of sofware that coat more than a map book :p...so there shirley temple :p

regards:D
aj

zeezee16
29-09-2009, 15:17
gota piece of sofware that coat more than a map book :p...so there shirley temple :p

regards:D
aj
Well use it then.
Dont know how you manage to do 350 miles on a sunday, AND find your way back......
Bye Bye Dear.

dogseal
14-10-2009, 20:52

Nice one Gopricey, we stayed there last week en route to Leyburn. Got there late so no grub,
but the ale made up for it! Thanks for the recomendation,
dogseal.

Romahomepete
21-02-2010, 17:24
Like John Thompson I used to go there in the late 60s to go potholing but we used to camp in the field but never got charged. The pie and peas used to be a real treat

Full Bob
03-01-2011, 14:37
Hi all

Just to confirm, we stayed here last month for a night.

Lovely people, great pub and beers.

No problem parking the van for the night for free. Highly recommended.

I also noticed there was plenty of space to park up under the arches of the Ribblehead viaduct, although we didn't on this occasion.

helwith boy
12-07-2011, 09:06

Hello All
I have joined this Forum to specifically comment on this thread entry which is causing me some problems.
You see, I own and run the campsite at Helwith Bridge which is next to the pub and for tents only. I have no problem with camper vans, it's just that my field is too bumpy/boggy to let them on.
We are getting an increasing number of tented campers turning up claiming that they can camp for free because they are going to eat in the pub. Now I don't own the pub, or get any benefit from the people that eat there, and my campsite is really cheap - 2.50 per person per night - because it is very basic.
No-one could tell me where on the internet this marvellous statement of freedom was to be found, they just have a rant to save 2.50. So in desperation I have done a quick search, and Googling "Helwith Bridge Camping" brings up this thread as the third entry on the list. Now I can see what is happening, because the entry is quoted in full people are reading it out of context and making assumptions.
I do not know if anything could, or should, be done to alter this thread to avoid the issue, Google can be a pretty blunt tool, and I hope no one minds me making the comment but you can see how frustrating it is for me.
I also feel it worth pointing out that a conversation with the pub landlord reveals that he has never promoted the concept of staying for free in exchange for a meal. I think within the spirit of this group he wouldn't mind you overnighting in the car park in return for patronising the pub for meals or drinks, but I can't speak for him.
Thanks for your patience in getting to the end of this reply , and if anyone has any useful advice I'll be glad to receive it.

maingate
12-07-2011, 11:32
Good afternoon helwith boy and welcome to the site.

I can understand your frustration as we often get tent campers posting on here. They are not aware that it is for motorhomes and campervans. It is no problem to us to help them if we can but we never thought it could backfire on to someone like yourself.

So....what is the solution?

I am not sure really, unless you can put up a sign to say that you have no connection with the pub and there is no free camping. Would it not be cost effective to drain your land and charge a few quid for us to have the benefit as well.

I hope we can find a solution to your problem and if you are in the pub when a camper is in, demand a pint off him/her as compensation for your troubles.

Best regards.

helwith boy
15-07-2011, 20:05
Thanks for that maingate.

More signs is something that is moving up my to do list, and would help in all sorts of ways. I work hand in glove with the pub, as they have the toilets and it is often easier for money collection for campers to go in there.

But this may change in September as the landlord is planning to lease the pub to someone else, and at the moment I do not know how they feel about campers in general.

As for draining the field, it drains quite well when it actually stops raining, but we do get a lot of rain round here ! All is not lost for vans however, as there is a large picnic area across the road from the pub in which there always seems to be vans of some sort most weekends.

So Helwith Bridge is quite van friendly, all year round. Just avoid the last weekend in September when there is the annual bike race and we get more than a bit crowded out. ( THREE PEAKS CYCLO-CROSS (http://www.3peakscyclocross.org.uk/) )

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS