PDA

View Full Version : wireless computing

delicagirl
17-10-2017, 13:10
Hi - we all know i am a technophobe. i will be moving shortly and several houses i have looked at only have one incoming BT phone socket which is not necessarily near where i would use my computer. I have an old floor standing Tower PC (upgraded more than once for faster speeds and more memory etc) - which has masses of cables at the back from my PC to printer/phone socket/240v socket/scanner/router/speakers etc etc. i am used to all this and dont find it cumbersome.

i am told that most PCs these days are "wireless" - can someone explain to me how i could achieve this wireless status/useage if i dont want to pay BT a huge amount to install more phone sockets ...

preferably in non-tecchie language.... thank you

winks
17-10-2017, 13:19
I think the easiest way to go is to have your local genius fit a wireless card or dongle to your computer. When you get phone / broadband sorted the router will be wireless enabled and then you connect via the wireless. Can be problems with range if the construction of walls etc. get in the way but most up to date routers are pretty good these days. Our BT hub is in the cellar and we have complete coverage for the house.

Or how about looking at going down the mobile route, with no fixed line payment?

Cheers

H

jagmanx
17-10-2017, 13:22
Hi - we all know i am a technophobe. i will be moving shortly and several houses i have looked at only have one incoming BT phone socket which is not necessarily near where i would use my computer. I have an old floor standing Tower PC (upgraded more than once for faster speeds and more memory etc) - which has masses of cables at the back from my PC to printer/phone socket/240v socket/scanner/router/speakers etc etc. i am used to all this and dont find it cumbersome.

i am told that most PCs these days are "wireless" - can someone explain to me how i could achieve this wireless status/useage if i dont want to pay BT a huge amount to install more phone sockets ...

Yep keep your Tower
Get a usB wi-fi "dongle"

This will plug into a spare USB port and enable you to use either a mi-fi device or your smartphone
IF you smartphone has 2 simcard capability use giif gaff or three
You laptop can use the same connection and I suspect you are familiar with this for internet access whilst travelling !
With dataplans on offer this will be cheaper than a new fibre link... Only problem is data if you use youtube a lot
No problem for browsing email and updates
With mobile devices who need a landline ?

sasquatch
17-10-2017, 14:01
Or use a Power line adapter which uses the House wiring.Amazon.co.uk: powerline adapters (https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=powerline+adapters&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=3174907095&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_3b1gm4t671_e)

delicagirl
17-10-2017, 14:07
I think the easiest way to go is to have your local genius fit a wireless card or dongle to your computer. When you get phone / broadband sorted the router will be wireless enabled and then you connect via the wireless. Can be problems with range if the construction of walls etc. get in the way but most up to date routers are pretty good these days. Our BT hub is in the cellar and we have complete coverage for the house.

Or how about looking at going down the mobile route, with no fixed line payment?

Cheers

H

Thank you that sounds fairly easy. I want to stick with a landline (although i use it rarely) because i have all my utilities gas elec mobile landline broadband with Utility Warehouse and because i buy 5 services the savings are significant - it would be more expensive if i got rid of the landline. also their customer service and moving house services are fantastic!!! They are usually the cheapest on the market.

My local computer whizzkid has sold his business whist i was in France and its been bought by an idiot. i have been looking for a new computer support guy for the last week. But at least this thread has shown me what my options are.

delicagirl
17-10-2017, 14:14
Yep keep your Tower
Get a usB wi-fi "dongle"

This will plug into a spare USB port and enable you to use either a mi-fi device or your smartphone
IF you smartphone has 2 simcard capability use giif gaff or three
You laptop can use the same connection and I suspect you are familiar with this for internet access whilst travelling !
With dataplans on offer this will be cheaper than a new fibre link... Only problem is data if you use youtube a lot
No problem for browsing email and updates
With mobile devices who need a landline ?

up to now i have only used my phone once to get on to the internet when travelling !!! i have been to a costa once or twice and an internet cafe a couple of times. the www is a bit of a tyrant in my view and i love being without it when on my travels.... but i can see that i may need to alter that view and learn how to do it.

My smartphone is several years old and is a Samsung GTN7000 Galaxy note - how would i know if there is 2 simcard capacity.

My laptop is donkeys years old - i only use it for writing and playing the odd card-game for relaxation. i have never been on the internet with it.

jagmanx
17-10-2017, 14:21
Land line (probably) Fibre so good
Router near where the land line comes in
Router will broadcast wi-fi
So good for laptop and tower see below

I still suggest a "wireless dongle" for PC

I think (and only think) a powerline adapter will ONLY work if both "plugs/sockets" are on the same ring main
Sometimes upstairs and downstairs are on different ring mains and the cooker is certainly seperate
Wi-fi @100MB/sec is good enough for youtube/video
More flexible not using up house sockets wi-fi dongles are cheap just hope you have enought USB ports on your desktop
IF not get another usb card added in your tower (again cheap)

shawbags
17-10-2017, 14:54
Hi there , I rent my internet connection from my next door neighbour I give her 10 per month , it's great for me as I have no landline or cable / satellite connection, I think more people should do this and share the cost .

st3v3
17-10-2017, 15:24
Or use a Power line adapter which uses the House wiring.Amazon.co.uk: powerline adapters (https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=powerline+adapters&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=3174907095&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_3b1gm4t671_e)

These can be a quick easy fix. One connected to the router near the phone socket and one near the pc.

jagmanx
17-10-2017, 15:27
If the layout allows it, don't use wireless. A network cable will be cheaper, faster, more secure and more reliable. And far easier to set up. Just plug it in and it works!

I like wires but the OP seemed to suggest this was not possible/easy

ricc
17-10-2017, 15:36
we use wires .... even got one going out the living room window up over the roof and back in a bedroom window.
got the wireless dissabled on the bt router , just use a powerline adapter to send the signal into the house wiring and a second wireless enabled one to bring it out again, from a different ring main, just turned on to feed the offsprings ipads on the odd occasion they are home, otherwise were a wireless free zone.

harrow
17-10-2017, 15:51

1. You can move the phone socket to the computer
2. Put the computer by the phone socket
3. You can link both locations with a cable.
4. You will need a mains power point within about a yard of the phone socket.
5. Update your computer to a new laptop and wireless printer.
6. Don't move house
7. Are you going to manage moving your computer if your computer engineer has sold up and now the business is owned by a new person.
8. Choose option 6

delicagirl
17-10-2017, 17:23
1. You can move the phone socket to the computer
2. Put the computer by the phone socket
3. You can link both locations with a cable.
4. You will need a mains power point within about a yard of the phone socket.
5. Update your computer to a new laptop and wireless printer.
6. Don't move house
7. Are you going to manage moving your computer if your computer engineer has sold up and now the business is owned by a new person.
8. Choose option 6

5 - too many other expenses right now to consider that.

6 - i wish that was an option - its not.

7 - yes i know how to undo and re-connect the mass of cables behind the Tower, i have done it a few times (slowly !!) - so thats not a problem.

4 - Prior to posting this i didn't realise that the telephone socket had to be that close to the computer. i now know what to be looking for as a trawl round more properties.

i had also not realised that wireless systems reduced my computer's operating speed - and since i will probably be moving into a rural area the speed wont be huge to start with. - so i think i will discount a wireless system.

Thanks everyone

harrow
17-10-2017, 17:59
5 - too many other expenses right now to consider that.

6 - i wish that was an option - its not.

7 - yes i know how to undo and re-connect the mass of cables behind the Tower, i have done it a few times (slowly !!) - so thats not a problem.

4 - Prior to posting this i didn't realise that the telephone socket had to be that close to the computer. i now know what to be looking for as a trawl round more properties.

i had also not realised that wireless systems reduced my computer's operating speed - and since i will probably be moving into a rural area the speed wont be huge to start with. - so i think i will discount a wireless system.

Thanks everyone

Yes a rural property could be very challenging,

the property websites will give you an indication of the possible broadband speeds.

In a rural area mobile phone internet would be worth investigating, but you are going to have a steep learning curve, need a decent mobile phone and data bundle, as a rough guide for a new phone package be thinking of 25 a month.

Another thing to consider, get yourself very close to a bt telephone exchange for better internet speed,

virgin won't do rural, it's via bt or nothing.

:egg::egg::egg:

harrow
17-10-2017, 18:10

the property websites will give you an indication of the possible broadband speeds.

In a rural area mobile phone internet would be worth investigating, but you are going to have a steep learning curve, need a decent mobile phone and data bundle, as a rough guide for a new phone package be thinking of 25 a month.

Another thing to consider, get yourself very close to a bt telephone exchange for better internet speed,

SamKnows - Broadband Availability Checker (https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker)

delicagirl
17-10-2017, 18:19

i know that BT sub-let their lines to competitors - but at least because i am with Utility Warehouse one of their staff have to talk to BT and i dont....... UW were brilliant when i moved here 3 years ago - i had a landline and broadband in superquick time.

harrow
17-10-2017, 18:28
i know that BT sub-let their lines to competitors - but at least because i am with Utility Warehouse one of their staff have to talk to BT and i dont....... UW were brilliant when i moved here 3 years ago - i had a landline and broadband in superquick time.
Yes agreed you talk to UW,
But bt do everything on their behalf
:hammer:

trevskoda
17-10-2017, 19:26
Land line (probably) Fibre so good
Router near where the land line comes in
Router will broadcast wi-fi
So good for laptop and tower see below

I still suggest a "wireless dongle" for PC

I think (and only think) a powerline adapter will ONLY work if both "plugs/sockets" are on the same ring main
Sometimes upstairs and downstairs are on different ring mains and the cooker is certainly seperate
Wi-fi @100MB/sec is good enough for youtube/video
More flexible not using up house sockets wi-fi dongles are cheap just hope you have enought USB ports on your desktop
IF not get another usb card added in your tower (again cheap)

It will work on any part of house as wires all connect to main busbar throught the fuses.

trevskoda
17-10-2017, 19:38
Del move to n/ireland,houses are half the price & folk twice as nice,then you will have extra money to upgrade van to newer model.:camper::wave:

winks
17-10-2017, 19:41
If you wind up with no wireless go looking for this type of power line adapters with the ability to plug in the back so you don't loose a socket just for the adapter.

BT Broadband Extender Flex 500 Kit Pass Through Powerline Adapters - Twin Pack | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Broadband-Extender-Flex-500-Kit-Pass-Through-Powerline-Adapters-Twin-Pack-/122236222579?epid=1508097950&hash=item1c75d8bc73:g:kFsAAOSw~AVYps~x)

Cheers

H

trevskoda
17-10-2017, 20:02
If you wind up with no wireless go looking for this type of power line adapters with the ability to plug in the back so you don't loose a socket just for the adapter.

BT Broadband Extender Flex 500 Kit Pass Through Powerline Adapters - Twin Pack | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Broadband-Extender-Flex-500-Kit-Pass-Through-Powerline-Adapters-Twin-Pack-/122236222579?epid=1508097950&hash=item1c75d8bc73:g:kFsAAOSw~AVYps~x)

Cheers

H

If you look down add,dont post to uk,but others do.

delicagirl
17-10-2017, 20:06
winks and trev - it seems extraordinary that one day this item is worth nearly 90 and the next day its 25 ..... i rarely trust merchandise that has this sort of price deviations.......

colinmd
17-10-2017, 20:06

Thanks everyone

I'm in a rural property, the limiting factor for us is not the WiFi speed it's the line speed, and the various options posted by others will probably mean WiFi speed is not a problem. Also at work I've wired up cat5 to long distances with no problem.
To choose a house by it's line speed if it's important to you is one thing, to choose one by the position of master socket when there are several options to overcome any problems (if there are any) doesn't make much sense.

delicagirl
17-10-2017, 20:08
I'm in a rural property, the limiting factor for us is not the WiFi speed it's the line speed, and the various options posted by others will probably mean WiFi speed is not a problem. Also at work I've wired up cat5 to long distances with no problem.
To choose a house by it's line speed if it's important to you is one thing, to choose one by the position of master socket when there are several options to overcome any problems (if there are any) doesn't make much sense.

thank you Colin - i posted this thread to ask for alternatives methods of accessing the www and i have been given lots of great advice... and lots of alternatives... this community never ceases to amaze me with its diversity of knowledge......

colinmd
17-10-2017, 20:17
I should also point out that with more and more places getting FTTC there are times when rural properties can get faster speeds than urban ones, not that often I grant you, but if I lived a mile down the road closer to the cabinet I could get faster speeds than some unlucky people can get in London, as it is I get lousy speeds, i'm waiting on what the USO brings in 2020.

harrow
18-10-2017, 07:38
I take issue with both of those statements. If you want decent speeds, you need FTTC (usually misdescribed as fibre) and with that, the distance to the exchange is irrelevant. What matters is he distance to the street cabinet thst your line is connected to (and whether it has a partner FTTC cabinet nearby).
Broadband and FTTC are available from scores of suppliers, and BT is one not very good one. Many (but not all) use Openreach facilities and heir own backhaul, and that's where you see the differences. The best are the likes of Zen or Andrews&Arnold. The cheapest do cut corners to bring the cost down.
It is also worth considering 4G 'mobile' broadband if you don't otherwise need a phone line.

FTTC, fibre to the cabinet, that's why people use the word fibre.

You won't find FTTC in rural areas, there has to be a customer demand (to pay for it) and mains power supply from the DNO available to make it viable on cost.

There are a handful of private setups but they are extremely rare.

harrow
18-10-2017, 07:44
There is FTTP fibre to the premises again rare (bt)

Virgin call their broadband fibre but it is coaxial cable not fibre.

delicagirl
25-10-2017, 14:54

i spoke to my phone/broadband/mobile supplier today and this item is what they recommend as we were unable to establish if my PC has wifi capability.

So do i plug this into the router and the other end into a 3pin 240 socket in an upstairs room where i have no BT telephone box and which is immediately above the only downstairs BT socket? But someone here did say it has to be within 4 feet........ Arrgh ....

The broadband speed on the www speed checker site is 17Mb. it says fibre optic could be 68Mb but it is a small village so i very much doubt it has Fibre....

Alf
25-10-2017, 15:36
You surely require the phone line connected to your router otherwise where do you get your broadband from.
You need either the phone line moving upstairs or a phone socket extension putting upstairs
Is your telephone line overhead does it come to your roof.

I guess at 17mb fibre must be close to you.
Alf

i spoke to my phone/broadband/mobile supplier today and this item is what they recommend as we were unable to establish if my PC has wifi capability.

So do i plug this into the router and the other end into a 3pin 240 socket in an upstairs room where i have no BT telephone box and which is immediately above the only downstairs BT socket? But someone here did say it has to be within 4 feet........ Arrgh ....

The broadband speed on the www speed checker site is 17Mb. it says fibre optic could be 68Mb but it is a small village so i very much doubt it has Fibre....

st3v3
25-10-2017, 15:37
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/answer_media/images/Powerline/powerline_standby_communication.png

A and B are the powerline adapters plugged into 3 pin 13A mains sockets. Some of them even have a 13A mains socket on them to allow you to 'piggy back' the mains supply for the router. Choose one like that if you only have one power socket near the router.

The red X is where you don't need a physical connection as your house wiring takes care of it.

Choosing a house based on the position of the phone socket is, I'm sorry, ludicrous!

Also, for info, a WiFi connection will potentially have an impact on the speed of your broadband you see at the computer ONLY if the broadband is fast. If the broadband is slow, WiFi will have little effect.

Disclaimer on the last part - assuming there are none of the many issues that can affect a wireless installation...

What area is the new house likely to be? Maybe there is someone on here close who can sort this out for you.

st3v3
25-10-2017, 15:41
Also important to mention with powerline stuff - don't plug them into a surge protector as it'll stop the signal.

delicagirl
25-10-2017, 15:45
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/answer_media/images/Powerline/powerline_standby_communication.png

A and B are the powerline adapters plugged into 3 pin 13A mains sockets. Some of them even have a 13A mains socket on them to allow you to 'piggy back' the mains supply for the router. Choose one like that if you only have one power socket near the router.

The red X is where you don't need a physical connection as your house wiring takes care of it.

Choosing a house based on the position of the phone socket is, I'm sorry, ludicrous!

Also, for info, a WiFi connection will potentially have an impact on the speed of your broadband you see at the computer ONLY if the broadband is fast. If the broadband is slow, WiFi will have little effect.

Disclaimer on the last part - assuming there are none of the many issues that can affect a wireless installation...

What area is the new house likely to be? Maybe there is someone on here close who can sort this out for you.

i absolutely have not done this....... i dont know why people think this. :confused:

i am looking for solutions as to how to reconnect my computer in my new home and because i REALLY struggle with IT i am trying to understand how to do it and i sometimes use technical terms incorrectly. The diagram helped me see the principle of what is required. But when there is conflicting advice it is hard to know what to do.

This house is not too far from Yeoblade... so maybe i will private message him and see if he could assist in person when the time comes. i am going to do another viewing on Friday so i will do a diagram of the sockets and distances from each other etc

delicagirl
25-10-2017, 15:50
You surely require the phone line connected to your router otherwise where do you get your broadband from.
You need either the phone line moving upstairs or a phone socket extension putting upstairs
Is your telephone line overhead does it come to your roof.

I guess at 17mb fibre must be close to you.
Alf

i dont know about the phone line Alf i will look on Friday.

thanks everyone for your patience...

st3v3
25-10-2017, 16:33
i absolutely have not done this....... i dont know why people think this. :confused:

It was this:

Prior to posting this i didn't realise that the telephone socket had to be that close to the computer. i now know what to be looking for as a trawl round more properties.

I now suppose you meant you'll look out for it so as to have a solution ready for where the socket is...

delicagirl
25-10-2017, 16:37
It was this:

I now suppose you meant you'll look out for it so as to have a solution ready for where the socket is...

absolutely spot on !!!!

barryd
25-10-2017, 16:48
Here is my two penneth for what its worth.

I would just try a cheap USB wifi dongle first if your not miles from the router. A few quid on ebay. usb wifi dongle | eBay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.Xusb+wi fi+dongle.TRS0&_nkw=usb+wifi+dongle&_sacat=0)

I agree wired is always best but its not always practical.

I work in IT in Rural North Yorkshire and I see these problems all the time.

Powerline adaptors are fine when they work and they seldom work without problems up here. Most buildings are large and seldom on one ring main. Ive lost count of the number of large houses Ive gone to where I have had to chuck them in the bin and put in a decent Ubiquity Unify Wifi system.

BT seems the best provider In rural areas, adding a third party into the mix often causes more problems than its worth and interestingly a lot of the cheap deals other providers advertise are not always available in rural areas.

Watch out for old rural houses with loads of badly wired extensions as well. Routers are always best in their source socket and if you must plug one in an extension make sure all the others have filters on. Sometimes its best to have the source socket moved by BT to where you want it.

st3v3
25-10-2017, 17:18
I agree wired is always best ...

Yup. This is my house:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4440/37004059840_d538724438_k.jpg

Maybe a bit much lol.

delicagirl
28-10-2017, 16:11
hi everyone... i went back to the property yesterday and made notes about the phone cables. The overhead phone line comes onto the property 2 feet from the top of my new upstairs office/bedroom window. it then is clipped onto the external wall, travelling down, through to the inside at the front door, clipped along the skirting board to a BT small junction box for use for a hall phone. From there i found someone had extended the cable along skirtings over doors etc etc with a cable looking like RJ45 Ethernet Cat5e Network Cable LAN Patch Lead Wholesale 0.25m Up To 50m | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ45-Ethernet-Cat5e-Network-Cable-LAN-Patch-Lead-Wholesale-0-25m-Up-To-50m/371284465761). This cable only goes to the downstairs sitting room.

A new challenge i discovered yesterday is that the mobile phone signal is poor in this village and so many folks have a landline. Vodaphone are putting in a new mast in the village in the near future. i dont know my mobile provider, so i will call Utility warehouse on monday and ask them.

But it sounds as if I will need a landline handset upstairs and another one downstairs.

colinmd
28-10-2017, 16:38
Where is your proposed office in relation to hall? It sounds like it will be directly above.

delicagirl
28-10-2017, 16:47
Where is your proposed office in relation to hall? It sounds like it will be directly above.

not immediately above but the next room to the dog-leg staircase which is in the hall

Alf
28-10-2017, 16:59
Collette If you buy a pair or wireless phones maybe one with an answer phone the answer phone will need a. A landline. b. A 13a socket the other phone you can use anywhere in the house or garden have its cradle near a socket to recharge overnight.

Alf

colinmd
28-10-2017, 17:14
Just for you I've done an experiment.
I get just over 4mb on a wired conection, went upstairs to bathroom which is furthest I can get from router one floor up one across, tried to get behind brick inglenook chimney stack (walls are wattle and dub). Got the same speed on wireless (well slightly higher).That's from a bog standard TalkTalk router.
As above, we have a Panasonic Dect cordless phone, which is used throuht house and in garden. In past I set up a pair of cordless phones for my mother, no big deal, one plugged into socket the other can be taken into any room and paired with the first so you can have two phones if you want.

trevskoda
28-10-2017, 20:39
winks and trev - it seems extraordinary that one day this item is worth nearly 90 and the next day its 25 ..... i rarely trust merchandise that has this sort of price deviations.......

I have seen items which norm sell at say a fiver boosted to 50 by some ebay sellers to catch the unwary out,be careful on ebay & triple cheak prices on everything before buying,i do.

trevskoda
28-10-2017, 21:32
It is a bit of hassle to re-list stuff on ebay and you may have to pay listing fees. So if something goes out of stock, instead of taking it off sale, you change the price to something that will make any purchases worth the hassle of finding a supply. Then when stock comes in again, put the price down.

Thats correct,but i have seen some sellers putting led car bulbs on at 8 each with lots in stock when the normal price is 1 ,as i said be careful.

st3v3
29-10-2017, 17:00
The overhead phone line comes onto the property 2 feet from the top of my new upstairs office/bedroom window. it then is clipped onto the external wall, travelling down,

Someone with a drill and a screwdriver can very easily move the BT master socket from the hall into the office, if that's the best place for it.

Minisorella
29-10-2017, 18:16
I've got BT Infinity and, just for my own interest really, I just ran speedtests for both ethernet and wi-fi on my laptop.

The wi-fi gave me a decent 22.3 Mbps download and 4.7 upload... heaps better than the 0.9 Mbps I used to get through the phone line before Infinity and I've certainly never felt that it dawdled.

Then came the ethernet test... 44.8 Mbps upload and 7.6 download! Now I feel properly cheated by the wi-fi :raofl: Just need to get a cable that reaches my chair now :wacko:

st3v3
29-10-2017, 18:19
Just need to get a cable that reaches my chair now :wacko:

Suggest move chair. Stop.

Minisorella
29-10-2017, 18:29

Genius! :lol-061:

delicagirl
29-10-2017, 18:41

maybe i should come and live with you ?

Minisorella
29-10-2017, 19:13

Hey! Back of the line please... erm... I meant to say... shhhhh Louise is watching 59234 :lol-049:

st3v3
29-10-2017, 19:14

Erm, OK. Only if you like ironing.

st3v3
29-10-2017, 19:16
Hey! Back of the line please... erm... I meant to say... shhhhh Louise is watching 59234 :lol-049:

Will you share a bed?

With Delicia I mean!!!

Minisorella
29-10-2017, 19:19
Will you share a bed?

With Delicia I mean!!!

Hmmm, let me think... do you snore Delica? :raofl:

delicagirl
29-10-2017, 19:19

i have not ironed this century - so sorry no can do !!!!

st3v3
29-10-2017, 19:25

But you're prepared to for good WiFi?

delicagirl
29-10-2017, 19:26
But you're prepared to for good WiFi?

the fronthalf of one shirt every three months...... will that do ? :sleep-040:

st3v3
29-10-2017, 19:37
the fronthalf of one shirt every three months...... will that do ? :sleep-040:

It's a start I suppose. Maybe you'll conquer mount washmore before 2020.

alwaysared
29-10-2017, 21:59
I've been in the telephone business for nearly thirty years and have dealt with all providers and of course they all use Openreach for the installation and if you're paying for installation then tell the Openreach engineer where you want the master socket, he'll always choose the easiest position but insist that he puts where you want it that's what you're paying for!

There is FTTP fibre to the premises again rare (bt)

Virgin call their broadband fibre but it is coaxial cable not fibre.

It's only coax from the box to your house, their network is all fibre.

Regards,
Del

oldish hippy
29-10-2017, 22:16
wellhave your master socket installed upstairs then use wireles phone downstairs and plug in phone upstiars make sure that you plug in phone can be used when it not powered up as it wont be any good in power failure my phone is powered to use screen memory storages timeres and answering machine and will work when not powered up as a standard phone that way your wireless connection wont have to far to go

delicagirl
21-11-2017, 14:46
Hmmm, let me think... do you snore Delica? :raofl:

i used to ..... but dont know any more - i am never able to hear myself when i am asleep...... :lol-061:

delicagirl
21-11-2017, 14:49
well i am moving this week and have decided upon the wireless route - as re-routing the mains BT cabling was too difficult. i have also found a local nice IT man who will do exactly what you guys suggested and is also getting a dongle, and my utility supplier is giving me a wireless router... so many thanks one and all for educating me, again, and for your invaluable suggestions and humour.

i was at the new house today and my EE mobile signal seems to work upstairs but hardly at all downstairs.... so methinks i will have to live upstairs !!!

colinmd
21-11-2017, 15:17
i was at the new house today and my EE mobile signal seems to work upstairs but hardly at all downstairs.... so methinks i will have to live upstairs !!!

For a rural area that's 5star service :p
I can only get a signal by putting the phone in kitchen window, even then it's not guaranteed, but one benefit of win10 is the phone and laptop are linked so at least I can read text's from my laptop.

delicagirl
30-11-2017, 10:23

Well i finally moved and having found a good IT man he came over and decided that the wireless option was the best.... so he plugged everything in and reconfigured my PC upstairs - very much like this diagram.... So all is well !!! i now have an upstairs computer on line, (with fast speed) and one landline phone downstairs next to the incoming phone socket and another landline upstairs in the office. So if folks cannot get me on my mobile (there is only a signal upstairs) they can ring me on landline and i can answer it upstairs or downstairs.....

so..... many thanks one and all... i am sorted... :wacko:

delicagirl
30-11-2017, 10:24

i have only ironed one item of clothing this century !!!!! sorry ... well not really.... hate ironing !!

jagmanx
30-11-2017, 11:29
You are well sorted

Apart from ironing that is..
Quite simply always eat "Crinkle cut chips" then others will think your clothes have been ironed !

PS We (ie my wife... after all it is "womens work") irons things in the motorhome using heated (ie used for cooking) saucepans.
These are bigger than the normal iron so less work !

trevskoda
30-11-2017, 11:59
well i am moving this week and have decided upon the wireless route - as re-routing the mains BT cabling was too difficult. i have also found a local nice IT man who will do exactly what you guys suggested and is also getting a dongle, and my utility supplier is giving me a wireless router... so many thanks one and all for educating me, again, and for your invaluable suggestions and humour.

One penny mobile works on the ee service but lots less dosh,do look into it del.

delicagirl
30-11-2017, 12:06
One penny mobile works on the ee service but lots less dosh,do look into it del.

thanks Trev - i have been a customer of Utility Warehouse for many many years and have electric, landline, broadband and mobile with them (i used to have gas as well, but i am on oil heating here) and i used to pay 130ish per month for the full 5 services in my last house... so i think thats fairly good......

Their customer services are really good and it cost me nothing to get a new landline here in my new home - so i have a good incentive to stay where i am....

but ... if anyone else uses a full package of utilities they can recommend i will surely look at it in 18 months time when my current contract ends.

trevskoda
30-11-2017, 12:14
Well i finally moved and having found a good IT man he came over and decided that the wireless option was the best.... so he plugged everything in and reconfigured my PC upstairs - very much like this diagram.... So all is well !!! i now have an upstairs computer on line, (with fast speed) and one landline phone downstairs next to the incoming phone socket and another landline upstairs in the office. So if folks cannot get me on my mobile (there is only a signal upstairs) they can ring me on landline and i can answer it upstairs or downstairs.....

so..... many thanks one and all... i am sorted... :wacko:

I would install a fixed phone upstairs with a with a floating satelite ph down stairs so if you go outside or kitchen/loo etc you have it with you,folk always seem to ph when one is on the porcelain chair.

jagmanx
30-11-2017, 12:16

Of his Dongle !

st3v3
30-11-2017, 14:18
i have only ironed one item of clothing this century !!!!! sorry ... well not really.... hate ironing !!

I got it the first time lol.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS