PDA

View Full Version : Arran

flossie333
07-08-2006, 19:30
Does anyone know of any places to camp on Arran? thanks

stevek
18-08-2006, 19:14
Been to Arran a few times but not with a camper.I,ve seen at times a van parked on Corrie harbour wall which is opposite the hotel.There is also an off road hard standing car park on the road from Corrie to Lochranza.There are also various spots on the coast road down from Lochranza to Blackwaterfoot.

There are various "proper" camp sites which you could base at for 1/2 days while you scout the island ( the road around it is only 50 miles) for some decent spots. If you do this try Lochranza or kildonan ( which is a perfect spot but unfortunately displays " no camping " signs).

flossie333
22-08-2006, 16:00
thanks for the info, i will keep it in mind if we ever make it. the trip is now going to take us somewhere the west coast as we grudge the ridiculous ferry prices!!

swingsandroundabouts
10-09-2006, 15:58
We only learnt last year that DH qualifies for 50% reduction on vehicle ferry prices due to his being registered disabled and the motorhome is nil rated for road tax. It has opened up a whole new experience of island hopping in Scotland for us. Wish we had learnt this years ago. We met a couple on the CL we use who have been going to Arran for years and always go via the Lochranza/Claonaig route as it is much cheaper.The CL at Ardlui through the Caravan club has excellent facilities including hookups,loo, shower, washing machine and tumble drier. If that is full they have what they call the overspill Cl next door which doesn't have seaviews but is only 5 per night with water and waste points and you can also use the other sites faciities.We spent 2nights here then wild camped on the road from Corrie to Lochranza at a car park which is at the start of waymarked walk next to a stream.

sagart
29-10-2006, 07:59
We only learnt last year that DH qualifies for 50% reduction on vehicle ferry prices due to his being registered disabled and the motorhome is nil rated for road tax. .

Calmac are quite weird about procedures. formally it is as http://www.calmac.co.uk/customers-requiring-assistance.html says, but experiences vary. Mallaig to Armadale & back are efficient and now issue a special badge to display in the window, are well marshalled and well informed.
Uig to Lochmaddy seem not to read their own literature and offer no assistance unless you push for it(did that route last week), ignore hazard flashers and are poor at marshalling.
The ship crews are superb with an embarrasment of help, it's the shore staff who are often uncertain.
When you book make sure you push the "tax exempt" status...you should be asked about the need for a lift, if you need a wheelchair and if you need additional space to get a wheelchair out of the van....this is the procedure laid down, but not every staff member seems to know it, so push them and remember to make the point again when you collect tickets at the terminal and to the car marshall.
Also, the 50% only applies to the van and not to anything being towed by it and be exact over vehicle length. If the marshall is not convinced, you will be measured very precisely. Spot checks are also being done to ensure all gas supplies are shut off at main valves, not just inside the van..there have been incidents lately where this has been ignored.
Calmac are my local taxi firm and, you may gather, I am involved with their procedures in this matter + having a disabled wife.

Guy
11-02-2007, 11:45
weve been to arran a few times. wild camped just outside corrie by the sea,this was because we would have run out of fuel if we went back to the campsite at Lochranza and then back to brodick to the petrol station in the morning(it closed at about 8pm).
The campsite at Lochranza is superb for wildlife lovers,deer, golden eagle, otters,. The deer actually come onto the campsite in the evening,and whilst walking to the pub you can see them in peoples gardens.
The owner of the campsite will do you a deal on your stay and ferry crossing combined.

ardlui
01-06-2011, 17:00
I live on the Isle of Arran and know of the following sites-Between Brodick and Lamlash at top of hill 3 sites best one is view point.
Lamlash- end of road at clauclands point.
Sannox-grassy area opposite Sannox Bay hotel.
North Sannox picnic site(toilets at this location).
Between Sannox and Lochranza-car park at bridge before hill.
between Lochranza and Pirnmill-large area at "Sailors Grave" 1/2 mile from Lochranza.
Large area on beach on right hand side after "switchbacks".
Between Pirnmill and Machrie-grassy areas between road and beach after Dougrie Lodge.
Blackwaterfoot-car park adjacent to golf club.
Hope this helps. Cheers Ardlui

Canalsman
01-06-2011, 22:57
I live on the Isle of Arran and know of the following sites-Between Brodick and Lamlash at top of hill 3 sites best one is view point.
Lamlash- end of road at clauclands point.
Sannox-grassy area opposite Sannox Bay hotel.
North Sannox picnic site(toilets at this location).
Between Sannox and Lochranza-car park at bridge before hill.
between Lochranza and Pirnmill-large area at "Sailors Grave" 1/2 mile from Lochranza.
Large area on beach on right hand side after "switchbacks".
Between Pirnmill and Machrie-grassy areas between road and beach after Dougrie Lodge.
Blackwaterfoot-car park adjacent to golf club.
Hope this helps. Cheers Ardlui

Thanks for the info - I'm glad to say that all these places are already in the POI database :)

Regards

Chris

stromtrooper101
20-01-2013, 08:30
I live on the Isle of Arran

Lucky bugger!
Wish I did :(

christine
04-08-2015, 13:50
Some ideas here but can't find anything recent. Hope to visit next week for a week or so, our first ever trip to Arran (for some unknown reason - just never given it a thought before but now are all fired up with the idea.) Please has anyone any up to date info on places to wild camp? As always, I will report on our trip upon return.

Many thanks.

POI Admin
04-08-2015, 14:21
There are plenty of spots in the POIs and three tap locations too.

Do you have access to them?

christine
04-08-2015, 15:19
Yes but not being technically minded, not sure how to update the POI's! Generally leave this to my son. I've been all round the island on the POI's on google earth and maps, as well as the OS map and have a fair selection. Just seems no-one has reported on any of the locations for some time.
Thanks.

POI Admin
04-08-2015, 15:33
The locations on Arran have been there for some time and are unlikely to have changed in terms of usability.

Do you have a smartphone or tablet to use? If so, consider installing the Wild Camping app. Full details can be found here:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-applications/43019-android-ipad-iphone-wild-camping-app-version-2-a.html

christine
04-08-2015, 15:53
Nothing as advanced as that! Just a lap top.

POI Admin
04-08-2015, 17:56
I think you should add a tablet to your birthday/Christmas list then :D

It really is the most straightforward way to access the POIs, and it can also be used as a satnav.

christine
04-08-2015, 21:44
Don't need satnav, we are both avid map readers and I have marked wildcamping spots on our maps.Just wondered whether any "no overnighting" signs had gone up?

christine
20-08-2015, 22:03
Just returned from a marvellous week on Arran. So easy to wild camp, only saw one "No overnighting" sign the whole week.

Stayed at Sannox:

33354 Our view.

33355 That's us.

Imacher Point:

33356 Saw many buzzards close to here.

33357 Fantastic rocks at Imacher.

Clauchland (northeast Lamlash)

33358 View towards the point from our spot.

Dougarie Lodge by river.

33359 By the river mouth.

33360 Our view.

Jimhunterj4
21-08-2015, 06:30
some really nice pictures there pal, I've been over there with the truck but never with the MH. I will remedy that this year

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS