PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Anvil

StreetSleeper
03-11-2017, 20:25
Was sent this link recently and I found it quite inspiring.

https://youtu.be/Ysq9GlRPCMg

The reason I found this so relevant is I have a half finished one in my collection of interesting tools.

As you can see from the pitting it must have spent a lot of it's life outside and it has also never been finished: it has been shaped with a burning torch but the bottom edges have never been smoothed off.
Just wondered how many others on the site have anvils made from railway lines.

Rae & Ann

Wully
03-11-2017, 20:44
Ray there’s a wee guy somewhere making railway lines out of anvels

StreetSleeper
03-11-2017, 20:48
Ray there’s a wee guy somewhere making railway lines out of anvels

Hello Wully,
Don't grass me up to him, I don't want to come home one night only to find it gone :lol-049:

Rae & Ann

Wully
03-11-2017, 20:55
Ray I’ve got a bit o railway line about 3 feet long turned upside down on a wooden bench I use it for cutting and sizing slate it’s over 80 year old I always tell customers that the flying Scotsman could have traveled on it. I’m getting too old to carry up scaffolding so put in tool bag and ask the young apprentice to grab my tools oot the van it kills him every time

runnach
03-11-2017, 21:17
I've made a couple for friends over the years, I got materials from another friend who still works at railway workshops at Harry Lauder Rd Edinburgh. I'm glad I wasn't paying for the gas to cut and shape material.

I have the real McCoy here at home.

StreetSleeper
03-11-2017, 21:24
I have the real McCoy here at home.

Hello Terry,
That's why I bought the one you see in the picture, all the cutting's been done, just requires some time with an angle grinder. For a long time I always used to use the back of the vice to straighten things out on and it worked quite well but as time is marching on I'm tending to find I do less and less metal fabrication.

Rae & Ann

runnach
03-11-2017, 21:31
The one in the pic doesn't look too, big, Rae. Which would make it a handy bit of kit to keep a hold of?

Anvil, which includes stand I have in my workshop, is the large type. I should punt it, as all it does now is take up space and is rarely used.

StreetSleeper
03-11-2017, 21:53
take up space and is rarely used.

Hello Terry,
Over the years I've had the chance of two anvils. The first one was at a place of work and the foreman said to me if you want it you can have it but you'll have to carry it out.......I think he was hedging his bets. The second time I had nowhere to store it. Like you say this one's small enough to be brought out and used as and when.......also it makes a good doorstop.

Rae & Ann

Fazerloz
03-11-2017, 21:55
I've been looking for a lump of rail for a while now, but our local mobile scrap collectors seem to have had it all away.

Martin P
03-11-2017, 22:11
Ive got a length of rail line if any body wants to come and cut a bit off. Youll need a petrol angle grinder or something though

n brown
03-11-2017, 22:21
just by the railway crossing at Warleigh Weir , just outside Bath, is a little fenced off area . in it are various bits of railway stuff including rail offcuts. i'm not suggesting anyone should nip over the fairly low fence and nick a 14'' length which they then dog to a 24'' length of beech trunk, but if they did , they'd have an anvil very similar to one i had once. very useful bit of kit .

Fazerloz
03-11-2017, 22:29
Ive got a length of rail line if any body wants to come and cut a bit off. Youll need a petrol angle grinder or something though

Where are you based Martin, Have Stihl will travel within reason.

just by the railway crossing at Warleigh Weir , just outside Bath, is a little fenced off area . in it are various bits of railway stuff including rail offcuts. i'm not suggesting anyone should nip over the fairly low fence and nick a 14'' length which they then dog to a 24'' length of beech trunk, but if they did , they'd have an anvil very similar to one i had once. very useful bit of kit .

Bloomin eck the scrap monsters must be keen around here.

Martin P
03-11-2017, 23:57
Junction 10 m40

rockape
04-11-2017, 06:38
It's always a problem which to have ,,,big or small.
I would always have the least of two anvils.
TAXI !!!?

rockape
04-11-2017, 06:39
just by the railway crossing at Warleigh Weir , just outside Bath, is a little fenced off area . in it are various bits of railway stuff including rail offcuts. i'm not suggesting anyone should nip over the fairly low fence and nick a 14'' length which they then dog to a 24'' length of beech trunk, but if they did , they'd have an anvil very similar to one i had once. very useful bit of kit . I always knew you were light fingered.

n brown
04-11-2017, 07:01
slight- fingered these days

an anvil walks into a bar and ends up getting hammered

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS