PDA

View Full Version : Staffin

marmalade
12-08-2006, 10:07
We stayed over down by the jetty below the cliffs, no water or toilet but a beautiful spot. Small jetty couple of tumbledown boat houses nothing else. It is a dead end so no passing traffic and the few local fishermen were friendly.

sagart
12-08-2006, 18:45
Were you lucky enough to see our otters? Last time I was in Staffin, about 3 weeks ago, a dog otter wandered across the road about 20 feet from me...stared lazily at my own dog and wandered into the water.

marmalade
13-08-2006, 00:08
No but after we got up peed in staffin bog, drove round top of skye to near the place with the ruined castle, looking out to hebrides, we stopped for a brew and watched a basking shark for about half an hour, i thought it was 2 seals playing until we realised it was the fin and tail. Saw otters from kilt rock parking/view point, nearly stayed there but felt a little exposed.

sagart
27-08-2006, 08:38
"A little exposed"!!!! Problem with Kilt Rock carpark is the wind. January 2005 it was clocked there at 104 mph, and is often over 50mph. I go there fairly regularly to walk the dog and often struggle to open the rear door on my Autosleeper Topaz (T5 window van).
It's safer than it used to be there, a few years back there was no secure viewing area and visitors leaned over at rather dangerous angles.
There are several useful stopping places turning left from Borve (on the Portree to Uig road) towards Dunvegan where the old road still survives.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS