PDA

View Full Version : Drumlanrig castle/thornhill?

juliedaisy1
27-07-2009, 14:27
hello

i am new to this forum and to wild camping in general. we have an old commer camper van which we are planning to take up west side of scotland in a couple of weeks. we have a few sites booked but would also like to have a go at wildcamping. we are hoping to have an early stop over somewhere near drumlanrig castle as we are planning to do some moutain biking there. can anyone rec anywhere near we could try? i think thornhill is nearest place?

thank you

jules

CliffyP
27-07-2009, 15:38
Hi
We used to have a cottage at a place called Leadhills which is next to a Village called Wanlock Head. As you leave Wanlock head to go toward Sanquar down the valley you will see people camped in various place. I believe all tha Land is owned by The Duke of Bacclue (i know ive spelled it wrong) and he allows free camping (or did do for many years so I assume it still pertains). Either way there will be no problem there are loads of spots on that road and its a lovely run.There is a Lead Mine in Wanlock Head thats worth the visit and they Pan for Gold still in the streams there abouts. You will also see at the roadside Bee Hives for the Heather Honey. Wanlock Head I was told is the highest populated village in Scotland even though its in the Lowlands. I am also informed that the Golf Course at Leadhills is the highest in Scotland. A small railway runs from Leadhills also. Its a bit like Deliverance though and awfull in the Winter. Enjoy your trip.
Where are you staying on the way up ? we have a Static in Dumfries and Galloway. Stop in for a cuppa.
Cliff

juliedaisy1
27-07-2009, 16:38
thanks for the useful information and for the kind invitation. our plan is to just stop for one night in the area to ride the bikes and we are then heading up to loch lomond and glencoe area. can't wait, have only ever been away for weekends in van up till now so 2 weeks with child and dog will certainly be an experiece:D

jules

CliffyP
28-07-2009, 10:15
Youre welcome
Weve had several statics and decided on a Motorhome last year, we wish we had done it earlier. Now we are torn as go to the Static or of in 'Doris' (the motorhome) Hope you enjoy your trip.

Just a tip, get some Frontline for Dog, Scotland is a great place for dogs and Ticks. We have a long haired GSD and they love her.
Also watch out for the Midges, they bite harder than the dog.

bob690
28-07-2009, 17:35
Hi
We used to have a cottage at a place called Leadhills which is next to a Village called Wanlock Head. As you leave Wanlock head to go toward Sanquar down the valley you will see people camped in various place. I believe all tha Land is owned by The Duke of Bacclue (i know ive spelled it wrong) and he allows free camping (or did do for many years so I assume it still pertains). Either way there will be no problem there are loads of spots on that road and its a lovely run.There is a Lead Mine in Wanlock Head thats worth the visit and they Pan for Gold still in the streams there abouts. You will also see at the roadside Bee Hives for the Heather Honey. Wanlock Head I was told is the highest populated village in Scotland even though its in the Lowlands. I am also informed that the Golf Course at Leadhills is the highest in Scotland. A small railway runs from Leadhills also. Its a bit like Deliverance though and awfull in the Winter. Enjoy your trip.
Where are you staying on the way up ? we have a Static in Dumfries and Galloway. Stop in for a cuppa.
Cliff
Good lord, the locals dont ask you to "squeal like a hog", and slap your bottom do they, cos if they do I,m on my way!....Bob

CliffyP
28-07-2009, 21:02
Good lord, the locals dont ask you to "squeal like a hog", and slap your bottom do they, cos if they do I,m on my way!....Bob

You dont know how close your getting.:D

juliedaisy1
29-07-2009, 06:54
Youre welcome

Just a tip, get some Frontline for Dog, Scotland is a great place for dogs and Ticks. We have a long haired GSD and they love her.
Also watch out for the Midges, they bite harder than the dog.

thanks was aware of midges (have plenty of avon skin soft as live near a forest) but didn't think of frontline. last time we were at kielder he got a tick so will def him done before we go. cheers:)

jules

sueg
29-07-2009, 08:35
hi there just got back from week on west coast - wet but fab! Wild camped every night. can recommend following which we hadn't found on any threads.
Loch Lomond - car park for the Loch Lomond cruisers at Tarbet. Reasonably level, picnic tables and lovely view of loch. Toilets open 7am till 8pm. Caretaker chappy v friendly and helpful. need to leave before 9am as coaches start arriving then.
Loch Lochy (about 20 miles n Fort William on A82) - layby halfway along side of loch. Quite close to road but v quiet.
Loch Creran (just off bridge on A828) - minor road goes around the loch. Take southern side - loads of motorhome size laybys and barely any traffic.
Skye - be brave and go up the single track road to Trumpan church north of Dunvegan. Car park virtually on cliff edge!
By the way, I read a post which said you could stay in the ski car parks, but the Nevis range one has lots of 'No overnight parking' signs. Huge huge car park, think this restriction totally unnecessary. Don't know what Glencoe will be like.
Happy travelling - free water from Morrisons(Fort William) and Tescos(Oban) filling stations

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS