PDA

View Full Version : Troon harbour

sueg
29-07-2009, 08:57
Went down harbour road by accident. Two car parks at the end, behind the sawmill and looking out across to Arran. No restriction signs, but there is a private entrance opposite part of the second one, so obviously park away from that. We didn't stop the night there, but wish we'd known about it the night before!

derekfaeberwick
29-07-2009, 09:18
You're on a roll now.:o Keep them coming, they're great! :)

Tco
19-09-2009, 20:55
Stayed there last week, one other van on there. Just a little point, when you get to the row of cottages, turn left in front of them. Stay in the first car park - no bother. Very busy in the evenings as locals pull in to eat their chips which they have bought just round the corner.

And don't worry, the sawmill works late(ish) but does shut down at night. Great place for sunsets too. pics coming later.

Tco

Tco
23-09-2009, 23:09
This is the carpark mentioned in this thread.
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/tonycollins/DSCN0740.jpg

Excellent Fish and Chips just round the corner.

linettelulu
01-08-2012, 21:05
Thanks for recommendation and photograph. Hope to stay there in September when we tour Scotland. Are there any more must sees that you can advise us about. We have a coachbuilt and are fairly new to motorhoming, having caravanned for thirty odd years and have not wild camped yet. Thanks

mardee
07-09-2012, 16:16
We have stayed here several times over the past few weeks. The Wee Hurrie fish and chip shop is excellent all food cooked to order and you get lemon and tartare sauce with your fish. It is closed on Mondays.
One morning when we were there the binmen came to empty the bins and came to the door of our van and asked if we had any rubbish we wanted rid of - when do you get service like that on a campsite ! not to mention the view

gaz2676
07-09-2012, 17:53
sweet gonna have to try that one nice

exupmonkey
14-10-2012, 17:12
Stayed there last weekend whilst attending the Troon Real Ale Festival.....its a good 15 minute walk into town from there, a 20 minute stagger back...but fantastic spot all in.

thewildcampers
05-05-2013, 19:44
Having a wee chilled oot night here tonight after a rather disturbed night in Ayr last night. There is another van next to us too...........so far so good :)

dive chick
10-05-2013, 09:45
if you look further slightly beyond the car park there is an old boat slip that leads into the sea, well thats a diving spot of mine (i live local to that area) ..so if you see a strange woman in a rubber suit, just say hello it will be me lol

that car park is usually pretty quiet and ive seen a few motorhomes and small camper vans there.

KJF
28-10-2013, 18:01
After spending this past weekend at this excellent location I would add a couple of local info pieces. To get to the site you pass an excellent Morrison's Supermarket that serves inexpensive sit down meals until early evening - and the toilets there are handy as well. Also, with the exception of South Beach Car Park (with its no over night camping sign) all other beach car parks are controlled by solid 2 metre barriers.

By the way, for the photographers out there the sunsets over Arran are super as are the many species of birds just off shore and the grey seals in the harbour.

patbhoy
22-03-2014, 18:06
Spent our first ever night wild camping here last night and it was great.
It was a pretty wild and windy night so very quiet but have to say no one mentioned that I needed to bring a blank cheque for fish suppers from the Wee Hurrie.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc214/pat7261/IMG_04881.jpg (http://s216.photobucket.com/user/pat7261/media/IMG_04881.jpg.html)

jack3
10-04-2014, 13:21
Has anyone been there recently? We'd like to stay in July for one night, as we are picking someone up from a ferry coming in early the next morning. Hopefully there haven't been any changes since last May...

Thanks.

patbhoy
13-04-2014, 05:07
Has anyone been there recently? We'd like to stay in July for one night, as we are picking someone up from a ferry coming in early the next morning. Hopefully there haven't been any changes since last May...

Thanks.

See previous post, we spent a night there at the end of march.

Sharon the Cat
13-04-2014, 16:37
Parked there right now! We stopped here last Thursday too.
Fish and chips are locally acknowledged as the best in Ayrshire. Also oyster bar and wet fish counter. Easy walk or cycle into town. Morrisons very close. Great views of Arran. Troon also has a long sandy beach just round the corner.
Love it.:cool1:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS