PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire Dales

PaulC
29-08-2004, 16:51
Hi

At the North end of the Semerwater lake in Wensleydale, near Hawes, there is a rough, eg not paved, car park Where according to the display board, for a small fee, over night stays are welcome. No facilities.

regards

PaulC
12-09-2004, 13:32
Hi

I've just been to Semer Water and the owner/farmer said that there would be a charge of £3.50 for a pitch, I was camping elsewhere. The best approach for Motor Homes, smaller variety perhaps, is to take the western road to the lake.

regards

denishearn
23-05-2005, 11:07
Great wild camping at the Ribblehead viaduct on the common land adjacent to the Railway Inn, which is good for real ale and food. I have wild camped here many times with my motorhome in the winter and have always been the only one there. Don't know what it would be like during the summer as it is a popular spot for parking whilst walking in the three peaks area.

PaulC
24-05-2005, 13:48
Hi

The last I heard about the common land at Ribblehead was that there was to be a court hearing to revoke it's validity. Although I did read this after a google search!

regards

monkeynut
10-12-2005, 10:08
I used this site one thursday a few weeks ago dident have any probs
Try Streets Gate above Malham or the main carpark in Malham ;)

Sideshow Bill
03-08-2006, 21:22
Great wild camping at the Ribblehead viaduct on the common land adjacent to the Railway Inn, which is good for real ale and food. I have wild camped here many times with my motorhome in the winter and have always been the only one there. Don't know what it would be like during the summer as it is a popular spot for parking whilst walking in the three peaks area.

Still a great spot to camp, There is also a carpark in the pub - no idea what, if any charges,
Signposts ask you to respect the land and use only designated campsites.

Assume behind the Inn is one??

marmalade
13-08-2006, 00:21
Stayed at a site in Dent with friends it's not 'wild' as such but is as rough and ready as it gets the gents is a half pipe set on a pile of stones. The couple that run it do a full english in their kitchen for £3 it was brilliant. Site cost £4 a head but they didnt come asking you had to find them. As it is less than an hour from us we will probably go back again and again. Oh and it is 100yrds from the pub.

pappajohn
22-09-2006, 21:54
IF YOU WANT WILD TRY TANHILL ON SLEIGHTHOLME MOOR. WE WENT LAST YEAR IN MAY.PITCH OPPOSITE THE TANHILL PUB AND TRY THE BEER AND BAR FOOD(EXCELLENT).WE WERE ASK TO DONATE A QUID TO THE BLINDBOX FOR THE MOST PEACEFUL NIGHTS SLEEP EVER. AS THERE ARE SOME DEEP DITCHES BEHIND THE CARPARK YOU COULD RUN A GENERATOR IN ONE, IF YOU NEED TO, WITHOUT DISTURBING THE PUB LANDLORD. THERE ARE SOME OUTDOOR TOILETS BUT A BIT DIRTY.EARLY AND LATE IN THE YEAR IT'S NEARLY DESERTED BUT WATCH FOR SNOW IN WINTER. FOR DIRECTIONS CLICK> http://www.tanhillinn.com/findus.htm

rebbyvid
07-05-2007, 18:55
Hi

I've just been to Semer Water and the owner/farmer said that there would be a charge of £3.50 for a pitch, I was camping elsewhere. The best approach for Motor Homes, smaller variety perhaps, is to take the western road to the lake.

regards
we were there for the afternoon over the bank holiday bit blusterery but good spot
Robhttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/rebbyvid/DSCF0073.jpg

rebbyvid
07-05-2007, 18:58
We were there over the bank holiday pleny of places to stay ,was a couple of vans in pub carpark
Rob
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/rebbyvid/DSCF0080.jpg

PaulC
18-05-2007, 12:43
Yes the weather can get a bit wild in The Dales, but many times Iíve seen worse! Good weather will make it ďan area of outstanding natural beautyĒ, IMO.

rebbyvid
18-05-2007, 16:49
Yes the weather can get a bit wild in The Dales, but many times Iíve seen worse! Good weather will make it ďan area of outstanding natural beautyĒ, IMO.
Tottally agree Paul first time we've been but will be going back
Rob

PaulC
17-06-2008, 13:03
Click on this for a view of Semerwater.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm278/Blackadder310556/semerwater.jpg

PaulC
03-07-2008, 10:01
And here bis two more photos I took within the last week.
First the lake

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm278/Blackadder310556/semerwaterrocks.jpg

And a view from the hillside just before decsending the hill, quite steep, to the carpark

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm278/Blackadder310556/semerwatercarpark.jpg

the weather was beautiful for a change!

topsy75
01-09-2008, 15:57
i'm so pleased I joined this site - I didn't realise you could stop at semer water so we'll def be giving that a whirl....

don't suppose anybody found a purple flip flop that I lost in the mud there in '85? :p

PaulC
03-09-2008, 13:15
Great wild camping at the Ribblehead viaduct on the common land adjacent to the Railway Inn,

Another one to Knock of your lists.........NO parking anymore there!!

Sorry but his does not make much sense to me! "Great wildcamping" "NO parking"

spacehopper
05-09-2008, 20:11
Beware of the Semerwater car park if theres heavy rain (like always it seems at the minute!). It does flood and I've seen it underwater with the adjacent road completely impassable.
Probably nothing to worry about but if you are mad enough to go there this weekend...beware!!

lenny
05-09-2008, 20:29
Beware of the Semerwater car park if theres heavy rain (like always it seems at the minute!). It does flood and I've seen it underwater with the adjacent road completely impassable.
Probably nothing to worry about but if you are mad enough to go there this weekend...beware!!

Good advice,Spacehopper;), I've seen the forecast and hope It's wrong again:p and was thinking about staying home and giving the van a bit of a service :) but if It's right then that would be uncomfortable, even a bit of gardening could be out of the question:(, hate being stuck indoors and the dog (Jack) is looking at me me as if to say,"Haway, It's the weekend,where we going?" :confused:.
Think I'll give it till dinnertime then maybe head off looking for a nice pub stopover on the top of a hill somewhere in North Yorks or the Borders:cool:

redgate
06-09-2008, 15:44
where about do you go in the yorkshire dales, is there wild camping

spacehopper
06-09-2008, 16:19
Good advice,Spacehopper;), looking for a nice pub stopover on the top of a hill somewhere in North Yorks

I'm sure you know about it but Tan Hill Inn is a good spot and not so far from you. I'm sure the Strathmore Arms at Holwick (near Middleton in Teesdale) are happy to let you park opposite. Nice pub, quiet spot and a short walk from Winch Bridge and Low Force which will be well impressive this weekend ...and High Force of course too will be raging I reckon!

SLSHAG
12-04-2009, 21:20
Have just spent a lovely peaceful night at Semer Water. Excellent spot to wild camp, although inflation has hit here too as it cost GBP6.50 for the night - that is for a 23ft motorhome, and we had the foreshore all to ourselves. Farmer was really friendly, and although a charge is payable it really is worth keeping him on side. Great fish and chips from nearby Hawes ensures a sound deep sleep, with great views (subject to weather) waiting for you when you awake - a real treat.;)

scotsy
12-04-2009, 21:58
Is this the place to park? and who do you find to pay?

PaulC
13-04-2009, 09:24
Yes and go along to the east and pay at the farm. And the chippy at Hawes is brill go to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr2pFu7UnoQ

The Truck
16-04-2009, 19:55
Just spent the end of the Bank Holliday in the Truck (a 7.5 ton Bedford TK BTW). Started at the Station Inn, Ribblehead. Stayed two days no problem and a good pint! Then off to Brimham Rocks, stayed over night at the carpark just north of the main carpark entrance, great views and a lovely days climbing.
Then off towards Hawes, nothing at Patley Bridge, tried Grimwith Res. warden says no, Kettlewell, nothing; Kilnsey, nothing; eventualy stopped at Buckden in the N Yorks carpark. No Overnight Camping but we were desperate and it was late!
On the way back out to Sedburgh and home we stopped for a walk on Garsdale Common, cant imagine that there would be any problem there overnight.
4 days away and nothing but petrol to pay!

pokerking
16-04-2009, 23:49
Just spent the end of the Bank Holliday in the Truck (a 7.5 ton Bedford TK BTW). Started at the Station Inn, Ribblehead. Stayed two days no problem and a good pint! Then off to Brimham Rocks, stayed over night at the carpark just north of the main carpark entrance, great views and a lovely days climbing.
Then off towards Hawes, nothing at Patley Bridge, tried Grimwith Res. warden says no, Kettlewell, nothing; Kilnsey, nothing; eventualy stopped at Buckden in the N Yorks carpark. No Overnight Camping but we were desperate and it was late!
On the way back out to Sedburgh and home we stopped for a walk on Garsdale Common, cant imagine that there would be any problem there overnight.
4 days away and nothing but petrol to pay!

I've posted this before. If you had carried on from Buckden, up through Cray (ask to park at the White Lion). Then carry on over Kidstones and down Bishopdale you will come to Street Head Inn. He has a big car park ask if you can stay there. Then go down to West Burton and check out the waterfall, I bet you can wild there. West Burton is described in Alf White's autobiography as " Yorkshire's prettiest village" and is worth a visit, see the Fox & Hounds, I owned that for 10years, the area is as pretty as anywhere in the country. Have a ride up Walden, north or south it is stunnimg, running up towards the back end of Buckden Pike. It is a dead end so you have to come back,

milo
25-04-2009, 09:10
Stayed at semerwater a few weekends ago, The farmer charged us £6.50, he said it depends on the size of the motorhome, ours is 21 foot. Not that cheap to stay over but it was a lovely spot and probably the best nights sleep yet. No vehicle movement and no street lighting. Would recommend this spot if wanting to visit Hawes. Good Hunting ! Milo:rolleyes:

durhamwasp
03-05-2009, 15:17
Stopped at Tan Hill Inn last night, couple of other campervans up there and about 6 tents. Pub was absolutely packed out.

Looks like you could easily park up and sleep over in Reeth village green, few pubs to be tried out there too!

yorkie_pudding
04-05-2009, 10:05
I wildcamped at the Tanhill Inn a few months back (December).....had to take it very easy on the way up as it was snowing.

Parked up.....jumped out of the van and joined in with a big sledging fest...was great. Someone was having a wedding there too and we just tagged along...anyway...my point is, the temperature dropped so low that the gas in the van stopped working. must have been at least -6C (the gasification point?!?). Amazing night. £2.50 per campervan. amazing.

Stubby
09-01-2012, 08:12
beware semer water just come back from there and all car park and road flooded very bad ir you were camping and this happend though the nite

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS