PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Drive SatNav.

runnach
10-02-2018, 10:08
Looks well spec'd, any member have one, any good?

Garmin Drive 51 LMT-S EU Sat Nav - ALDI UK (https://www.aldi.co.uk/garmin-drive-51-lmt-s-eu-sat-nav/p/083537206546800)

korky
10-02-2018, 10:30
Mine arrived this morning.
Still not sure whether it's Full Europe or just Western Europe,even looking on Garmin.com it is a bit unclear.
Unless I have made a mistake this one from Aldi is 30-40 cheaper than any where else for same model,so I am well pleased.

Korky.

Jeff G
10-02-2018, 11:00
I got one on Thursday,used for the first time the next day visiting a friend in Morecambe.It made a mistake asking to turn next left but called it as A683 when in fact the turn it was asking me to take was the A5## (can't remember the rest) so a bit disconcerting.

Nice to have a bigger screen than my old TT and apart from that it was perfect.The error may have been due to the new bypass and perhaps needs a map update.

The blurb says it covers 45 countries,so presumably covers all Europe

All in all,seems a nice bit of kit.

runnach
10-02-2018, 11:01
Mine arrived this morning.
Still not sure whether it's Full Europe or just Western Europe,even looking on Garmin.com it is a bit unclear.
Unless I have made a mistake this one from Aldi is 30-40 cheaper than any where else for same model,so I am well pleased.

Korky.

Hi, and thanks for reply. Spec states 45 euro countries, there are 51 European countries, so I reckon it is a decent buy and high spec. I'll get one for our month in France, tour.

jagmanx
10-02-2018, 11:58
Import 3rd party POI
How much "Spare memory" or does it use a card if so can you use a bigger card

If all is good it is Indeed a bargain

Despite recommendations for Novatech and others I would always choose TomTom or Garmin!

korky
10-02-2018, 14:16
Import 3rd party POI
How much "Spare memory" or does it use a card if so can you use a bigger card

If all is good it is Indeed a bargain

Despite recommendations for Novatech and others I would always choose TomTom or Garmin!

Pretty sure it supports 3rd party POIs.My last one did, haven't tried it on this one yet, but this is an upgrade on my last model,so it should.

It takes up to 64gb micro sd card.

Korky.

runnach
11-02-2018, 13:53
Bought one this morning, will have a play about with it this afternoon, need to see if I can download user manual, the one in box, text a tad on the small side.

runnach
11-02-2018, 14:04
I cant see anything about registering satnav, if you guys have not done so to date, here is the link.

Garmin | United Kingdom | Register Your Garmin (https://www.garmin.com/uk/register)

wildebus
11-02-2018, 17:47
Looks good :)

If anyone was curious, the "LMT" in the name stands for "Lifetime Maps and Traffic", so all updates are Free for the lifetime* of the device

*Lifetime does not mean while it still works by the way. Just the time Garmin gives before it is obsolete

bodgeitnscarper
12-02-2018, 21:57
Each to their own I say but as a long time Tomtom user I found the Garmin 51 lmt-d deluxe a pain in the a**e.
So much so during our last european trip (as far east as Czech and Poland) I was glad that I took my relatively old TomTom live with us as a back up.
The android app was very unfinished, unintuative and slow, the live traffic was scetchy at best and was poor in most places.

I plotted routes on it and often thought it an odd choice of roads so checked on my TomTom and phone to be proved correct.
The unit had the latest maps etc. I sold it on my return to the UK.

The Garmin would estimate routes being much quicker than TomTom and google only to constantly readjust the eta until it was the same as the others by the time you got there (like someone at a quiz who knows the answer once they have been told it).

Now had I never owned a TomTom maybe I would be happy with the Garmins performance but I had and wasn't.

All my own opinion of course.

Jeff G
13-02-2018, 08:40
Not used the lmt version but the arrival times when first inputting an address on this 51 have been spot on.Baring in mind i tend to drive under the speed limits,my TT's always posted a time of arrival that would always need to be extended as i went along

Wooie1958
13-02-2018, 09:31
I`ve had TomTom sat navs since they first came out and over the years i`ve owned 4 models and then a NozaTec.

I`ve now had a Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D for the last 3 years and it`s by far the best one yet :dance:

The 7" screen is brilliant and navigating around it is much easier that the others.

Yes, it`s had a couple of " moments " but i ignore anything that doesn`t look right and it soon re-calculates.

The others ( even with the length, height and weight set ) got us in a right pickle a few times the worst ( NozaTec ) being a 7` bridge :scared:

My main gripe was that having spent all that money on it i needed to buy an extra 32GB micro SDHC card because the memory was virtually full after the initial update at purchase :mad2:

Everything is automatically looked after by Garmin Express and our POI`s load very easily using the Garmin POI loader and the instructions found on here :hammer:

The big 4 ( quarterly ) map updates take a while to do but i have a fast internet connection so its not too bad, simply connect and leave it to it.

Garmin UK support 0800 238 000 is probably the best customer services i`ve ever dealt with and nothing is too much trouble.

I`m sticking with it for a while yet and will definitely buy another / updated version of this model when the time comes :dance:

hairydog
13-02-2018, 14:42
What was wrong with the Nozatec (apart from poor build quality and a dim screen?)

If it sent you under a low bridge, that was because you hadn't updated the maps to a set that had Lorry Restrictions data. They are shipped without this essential!

hairydog
13-02-2018, 14:45
Despite recommendations for Novatech and others I would always choose TomTom or Garmin!What do you base this perverse decision on?

1977paul
13-02-2018, 18:11
I've just bought a Garmin 770 lmt with reversing camera.
Not used the camera yet but the satnav is very good.
Thousands of POIs and campsites, even gives TripAdvisor reviews of campsites, restaurants etc.
Having a contact within Garmin certainly eased the purchase cost!

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS