PDA

View Full Version : Mull Ferrry

Jacques le foot
05-08-2009, 18:41
We were thinking maybe we would do a few days on Mull while on our September hols in Scotland. I have just priced up the return Ferry from Oban, which came in at 96.10p....changed our minds!!! that is the cost of a full tank of fuel, which will take us further up the west coast.
Didn't I see somewhere recently that Cal Mac had reduced prices for motorhomes? After paying just 49 return for our Dover/Calais crossing for our June holiday, I feel this is a bit warm :(
Jackie :)

runnach
05-08-2009, 18:47
Oban to Craiganure crossing has been a rip off for years, not a lot changed there I see, have you costed Lochaline to Fishnish? You will have to factor in Corrin ferry, also size of MH could be an issue for parts of the road down to Lochaline?

Cheers.

Jacques le foot
05-08-2009, 18:57
Thanks Runnach, we are 7.25m long, and having been on the Ardnamrchan Peninsular once before, just with a Discovery, I think I remember that road being a bit tight!! No matter! there's lots of equally beautiful places all along that coast..I'm sure we won't be 'wanting' for wilding spots.
Jackie:)

runnach
05-08-2009, 19:03
Still do-able with care I guess? I used it often towing my 6 metre RIB, had the odd scare, knocked over a few sheep too, sorted the sheep issue by installing a horn that blares out "mint sauce" :)

I would be interested the difference in cost though, if you feel like checking it out?

Cheers.

Jacques le foot
05-08-2009, 19:05
o.k. will do...I'll come back when I've found it.

The return Fare for 5 day saver ticket would be 39.70, for the van & 2 passengers..big difference

christine
05-08-2009, 21:24
We did the Lochaline route in 2006 in our 23 ft motorhome. The road is ok, what you have to watch out for on these small ferries is grounding out when you embark and disembark. Go very slowly! Here is the link to my Virtual Tourist tips on Mull.

Routes To Mull and other Island of Mull, United Kingdom Transportation Tips - VirtualTourist.com (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/87f23/4b3a6/9/)

chigman
05-08-2009, 21:42
We did the Lochaline route in 2006 in our 23 ft motorhome. The road is ok, what you have to watch out for on these small ferries is grounding out when you embark and disembark. Go very slowly! Here is the link to my Virtual Tourist tips on Mull.

Routes To Mull and other Island of Mull, United Kingdom Transportation Tips - VirtualTourist.com (http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/87f23/4b3a6/9/)

The grounding out bit is what put me off going to Mull.:(

steve

runnach
06-08-2009, 11:09
o.k. will do...I'll come back when I've found it.

The return Fare for 5 day saver ticket would be 39.70, for the van & 2 passengers..big difference

Big difference in cost, evening with return Corrin ferry fare of around 13.00.

Thanks looking up cost for me.

Cheers.

kalamitty
07-08-2009, 20:07
don't let the cost put you off we went from oban early this year cost me 89 and i thought it was money well spent mull was brill. came back from tobomory wil be going again. found best time was monday so stayed near oban and returned fri, then travelled down,

colin123
12-08-2009, 10:25
We used the Lochaline to Fishnish route recently. There is no advance booking facility, just turn up a few minutes before the ferry leaves and queue on a first come first served basis. Wasn't too busy and 39 for a 5 day return for van and 2 adults. Crossing was about 15 minutes. :)

charliedog
20-08-2009, 19:33
We were on Mull in July, the ferry from Oban was pricey,but once there it was heaven,Deer,Otters,Eagles and all sorts of creatures also a perfect accent of Ben More made it worth every penny.

Boxerman
20-08-2009, 21:45
Did you visit Iona? No trip to Mull is complete unless you've been there.

Frank

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS