PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Motorhome

Wildstan
06-04-2018, 22:00
Last night our 2 year old Chausson 737 Welcome 'disappeared' from our drive. We heard nothing, neither did our neighbours just a few yards away. The vehicle was alarmed etc. The registration is or was GK16 GFA but I expect that will have been changed by now. If anyone sees it please contact Essex police, the crime No. is 42/46503/18. It is not a common model.
The only external identifying marks that I can think of are white protectors instead of black door mirrors, although they can easily be removed to show somewhat battered wing mirrors stuck up with Duck tape, and a small hole in the nearside, bottom, of the rear panel that I hadn't got round to filling. Thanks in hope.

izwozral
06-04-2018, 22:04
Sorry to hear that, you must be gutted. Did it have a tracker fitted by any chance? Fingers crossed but to be honest this doesn't usually end up well.

Wildstan
06-04-2018, 22:12
No tracker I'm afraid. We live in a quiet cul de sac unseen from the road in to the village which is a single road of 1/2 mile to a B road.

izwozral
06-04-2018, 22:16
You must have felt secure there, the scumbag may have seen you turning into your cul de sac possibly? Like I said, gutted for you, you must feel sick to your stomach.

QFour
06-04-2018, 22:26
These FORD Based MH's are so easy to steal its a pity FORD don't do something about it. The Dealers just carry on selling them and never mention that you need to add some extra protection. Sorry for your loss. I hope you get something sorted reasonably quickly.

Herman
06-04-2018, 23:06
Post pictures of it to see if anyone has seen it, a visual picture is a better memory jogger.

helen262
07-04-2018, 05:11
These FORD Based MH's are so easy to steal its a pity FORD don't do something about it. The Dealers just carry on selling them and never mention that you need to add some extra protection. Sorry for your loss. I hope you get something sorted reasonably quickly.

For as many years i care to remember ford vehicles have always been the easiest to steal,
You would have thought that by now Ford would have done something about it.
Ford could do a promotion video and call it gone in 30 seconds, but the fact you can buy all you need to steal a ford from eBay or amazon for under £100 is disgustin, eBay and Amazon should ban the sale of these items

phillybarbour
07-04-2018, 06:10
Sorry to hear this news, hope thereís better news today. If it is a Ford that is no surprise at all.

suneye
07-04-2018, 06:24
So sorry to hear this will keep a look out.

QFour
07-04-2018, 08:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV2UyzxqpXo

This shows how easy it is to open one of these. It was probably targeted so someone will have already visited and got the key code.

See NEXT POST

QFour
07-04-2018, 08:13
The vehicle itself can then be persuaded with the help of a small handheld unit using the diagnostic port to program the new key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_SFHlr8INs

All you have to do then is start it up and drive it away :mad2:

Gone ... In 10 seconds ..

grath
07-04-2018, 09:00
What about the key having to fit the barrel?

sasquatch
07-04-2018, 09:29
They got my Hymer in 2016 by cloning a key from the petrol cap lock and then used a pick and OBD port to start it and they jammed the tracker! How do I know this? Because I had both sets of keys in the house and it was an A class without a standard Ford door.
Sorry for your loss I feel your pain.

sasquatch
07-04-2018, 11:46
No same key unlocked fuel,water,cassette door side lockers and passenger and habitation doors ignition was the usual Ford Tibbe.

GWAYGWAY
07-04-2018, 12:36
Get out in the car and drive around the local area looking in a lot of odd places. I might even say that y ou look in the area in the direction of the local traveller sites, they would not put it where they have to go back passed the area where it was stolen. We have the advantage of a light plane and found a caravan stolen from the farm , it was only three miles away but hidden in barn complex of a disused farm. They park up to check if it was Trackerfittted. Go back after a week an see if it has been found by the tracker company.
Police will not be bothered and also will not go into a traveller site if it is seen there, race law fears of discrimination being thrown at them.

molly 2
07-04-2018, 12:41
No tracker I'm afraid. We live in a quiet cul de sac unseen from the road in to the village which is a single road of 1/2 mile to a B road.not a proplem they can easley block hem

molly 2
07-04-2018, 12:58
No tracker I'm afraid. We live in a quiet cul de sac unseen from the road in to the village which is a single road of 1/2 mile to a B road.not a proplem they can easley block hem

QFour
07-04-2018, 12:58
What about the key having to fit the barrel?

First time round they come and just open it with the lock pick. This then gives them the key code. They then get a key cut with that code. It will then open the vehicle and all they have to do then is program it. It's not all done in one go it's certainly pre-planned. As for finding them in the first place who knows. DVLA give out addresses. Police can find them. Stumble on it by accident.

molly 2
07-04-2018, 13:04
It is very distressing to find you price and joy gone ,if mine was stolen I sometimes wonder if I would want it back.?

grath
07-04-2018, 13:07
It is very distressing to find you price and joy gone ,if mine was stolen I sometimes wonder if I would want it back.?

I certainly would not!

Nabsim
07-04-2018, 13:11

I got my tracker fitted so hopefully they would be caught before much was done. I would want ours back so long as it was okay

nicholsong
07-04-2018, 14:26
Last night our 2 year old Chausson 737 Welcome 'disappeared' from our drive. We heard nothing, neither did our neighbours just a few yards away. The vehicle was alarmed etc. The registration is or was GK16 GFA but I expect that will have been changed by now. If anyone sees it please contact Essex police, the crime No. is 42/46503/18. It is not a common model.
The only external identifying marks that I can think of are white protectors instead of black door mirrors, although they can easily be removed to show somewhat battered wing mirrors stuck up with Duck tape, and a small hole in the nearside, bottom, of the rear panel that I hadn't got round to filling. Thanks in hope.

Sorry to hear about the theft. Sympathies.

Hopefully the 'not common model' might help.

Assuming it is RHD it is unlikely to be stolen for export.

I would get a list of all Dealers e-mails and do a round-robin e-mail giving Model, Reg. No., VIN No. and engine block number(if you don't have it on the V5, you should be able to get it from the base chassis manufacturer from the VIN. It is Dealers' interests to not get involved in a stolen vehicle.

Maybe the editors of MH magazines would help by letting you advertise 'STOLEN on their For sale pages.

Of course if it was 'travellers' who stole it it will not be up for re-sale but for use.

I always hope that being an unusual model might reduce the attraction of our MH - but then it is more unusual, as being in Poland and RHD and an 'A' Class(which I see here only as non-Polish visitors) it might attract too much attention on the road even for a dozy policeman.

I hope you get it back undamaged.

Geoff

Wildstan
07-04-2018, 20:32
Thank you for all the replies and sympathy. It's not so much losing the m/h that upsets me, that can be replaced, it's all the personal items that I find difficult to come to terms with. Some are gifts from members of our family and most are items that we have accumulated during 30 years of touring in caravans and lately the m/h, like the Blue Nosed Caravanners certificate that we received when we went up to the North Cape in Norway. It looks as if we will have to start from the beginning getting comfortable in a mobile vehicle.

gordy
07-04-2018, 20:42
Read that they were easy to get into but FFS/WTF It's no longer yours after buying one..
Just needs a secret earth switch somewhere..

sparrks
07-04-2018, 22:34
The vehicle itself can then be persuaded with the help of a small handheld unit using the diagnostic port to program the new key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_SFHlr8INs

All you have to do then is start it up and drive it away :mad2:

Gone ... In 10 seconds ..

I bet the main dealers charge £150+ to program a new key.

sparrks
07-04-2018, 22:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV2UyzxqpXo

This shows how easy it is to open one of these. It was probably targeted so someone will have already visited and got the key code.

See NEXT POST

Would that unlock a door that is deadlocked? I always deadlock my van and car. Just wondering if that helps.

channa
08-04-2018, 02:11
RHD cars and campers stolen find there way to Ireland quite often

Channa

PIRRH
08-04-2018, 07:24
So sorry to hear of your stolen Moho, Iím reading this thinking how deviated Iíd be if we had ours stolen; which led me to thinking about fitting a GPS tracker, any thoughts or recommendations?

grath
08-04-2018, 07:31
You could do a lot worse than getting a Growler
https://www.vanbitz.com/wp-content/uploads/Growler.pdf

angelaa
08-04-2018, 07:33
We had a caravan pinched once, before we started with the motorhome. Itís devastating. Hope it all works out ok. We got paid out by the insurance, but it was all the personal stuff in it that hurts.

m30
08-04-2018, 08:01
Real sorry to hear about that. Its not just Ford's tho, they can now clone a Sprinter key without even needing to get into your house as long as they can get near enough to it, then bounce the signal to their mate who's stood at the side of your van or motorhome, and away they go.
A small in line switch hidden away that can cut one of the ignition circuits may be the way to go. The trouble with anything that available on the market is that they can buy one and work out how to bypass it, it needs to be something home made.

Stu

grath
08-04-2018, 08:28
Real sorry to hear about that. Its not just Ford's tho, they can now clone a Sprinter key without even needing to get into your house as long as they can get near enough to it, then bounce the signal to their mate who's stood at the side of your van or motorhome, and away they go.
A small in line switch hidden away that can cut one of the ignition circuits may be the way to go. The trouble with anything that available on the market is that they can buy one and work out how to bypass it, it needs to be something home made.

Stu

I remember my Dad had a very well hidden switch which cut of the fuel pump and something else!
There was no chance at all of seeing the switch as it was behind the glovebox carpet style lining and the lining had to be pressed in a certain place!

yorkslass
08-04-2018, 09:16
I remember my Dad had a very well hidden switch which cut of the fuel pump and something else!
There was no chance at all of seeing the switch as it was behind the glovebox carpet style lining and the lining had to be pressed in a certain place!

We've done that too, but wouldn't it mess with the electronics on a new van? Having read stuff on here, they seem to go wrong with very little provocation.

trevskoda
08-04-2018, 09:28
We've done that too, but wouldn't it mess with the electronics on a new van? Having read stuff on here, they seem to go wrong with very little provocation.

You would be ok cutting the fuel line pump from a switch,there are magnetic switches but do watch as the magnet can fall of if going on bumpy ground.

GWAYGWAY
08-04-2018, 10:07
not a proplem they can easley block hem

These can be blocked but they do not want the problem of digging them out to disable the security bundle the jammers need power on all the time some of the better ones do not only use GPS but have phone mast location on them as well, both are not going to be disabled.

GWAYGWAY
08-04-2018, 10:15
Sorry to hear about the theft. Sympathies.

Assuming it is RHD it is unlikely to be stolen for export.
Of course if it was 'travellers' who stole it it will not be up for re-sale but for use.

Geoff

These common Ford based ones soon get a set of Irish Plates with the legal registraton number of a similar model belonging to a tribe member somewhere else in the Country. All documents are copied over so it looks legitimate. Might even go straight back to Eire but probably somewhere else in the UK.. Hobby caravans are the popular one of those to go, preferred maker. Now the trailer and caravan licences are needed they are going for MH as against large 6 wheeler caravans.

Nabsim
08-04-2018, 10:18
These can be blocked but they do not want the problem of digging them out to disable the security bundle the jammers need power on all the time some of the better ones do not only use GPS but have phone mast location on them as well, both are not going to be disabled.

Yes thatís what mine is, jammers donít shut it all down, think I posted before but if anyone wants a look try Automatrics mtrack Battery Tracker GPS GSM RF | Best Award Winning Trackers (https://www.trackersecurity.co.uk/tablet/index.html)

If you can locate a stolen mh quickly you have an excellent chance of recovering the type of possessions that have been mentioned, it isnít just the vehicle

sasquatch
08-04-2018, 10:57
My vehicle theft didn't warrant a visit from the rozzers juat a crime reference number and latterly a letter from the 'investigating' officer a week later. If it had been a jewellry or cash theft to the same value (50k+) I woild have expected a bit more diligence. On the day it was stolen I alerted all the ferry companies and vehicle dealers including Eire as well as Europol,a lot more than the Police did!
I wish we had something like the states when the manufacturers would have been held responsible for producing an insecure item!!!

maingate
08-04-2018, 12:50
Yes thatís what mine is, jammers donít shut it all down, think I posted before but if anyone wants a look try Automatrics mtrack Battery Tracker GPS GSM RF | Best Award Winning Trackers (https://www.trackersecurity.co.uk/tablet/index.html)

If you can locate a stolen mh quickly you have an excellent chance of recovering the type of possessions that have been mentioned, it isnít just the vehicle

Therein lies the problem, YOU need to put the effort in as the Police are overstretched and have other responsibilities. From watching TV programmes, it seems that 'Domestics' and people with Mental Health issues take up most of their time these days. And drunks on a weekend. :(

Nabsim
08-04-2018, 14:32
Therein lies the problem, YOU need to put the effort in as the Police are overstretched and have other responsibilities. From watching TV programmes, it seems that 'Domestics' and people with Mental Health issues take up most of their time these days. And drunks on a weekend. :(

I am sent text alerts as soon as any movement is detected and if I do not respond within a few minutes I start getting phone calls. I know this happens as I forgot to disarm the tracker last weekend when we went away. It is simple to type in the web page and log in to see where the mh is located on Google maps.

If folks dont like trackers and dont see any point fitting them it doesn't matter to me, I can see a potential benefit and dont mind being proactive. What would you do if you heard the alarm going off on your mh? To me the tracker is another tool in a security arsenal and one that any thief does not know about. The OP would probably know where their stolen mh was if they had one fitted so comes down to do you want to know or not I suppose.

maingate
08-04-2018, 16:16
I am sent text alerts as soon as any movement is detected and if I do not respond within a few minutes I start getting phone calls. I know this happens as I forgot to disarm the tracker last weekend when we went away. It is simple to type in the web page and log in to see where the mh is located on Google maps.

If folks dont like trackers and dont see any point fitting them it doesn't matter to me, I can see a potential benefit and dont mind being proactive. What would you do if you heard the alarm going off on your mh? To me the tracker is another tool in a security arsenal and one that any thief does not know about. The OP would probably know where their stolen mh was if they had one fitted so comes down to do you want to know or not I suppose.

I feel the same as you, I don't have one fitted but good luck to those that have. I have never had a Ford based motorhome but it is a possibility if I downsize, less of a possibility though if Insurance Companies are putting restrictions on what they will cover.

Wildstan
26-04-2018, 18:10
Just had a satisfactory financial settlement on our motor home stolen 3 weeks ago. Sad to say that we will be going back to a caravan and tow car as we have been fed up with the problem of visiting towns. There are advantages to a m/h in particular easier setting up and the ability to just drive off for a w/e away. As present we are on are first b&b holiday for nearly 30 years and I am just dying to get our own movable accommodation again. Already put a deposit on a new caravan but now need to chose a new, to us, tow car. I fancy a Subaru as we have had 3 already and have done about 200,000 miles in them.

janstevecairns
26-04-2018, 18:53
I was unfortunately broken into in Oct 17 whilst van was parked in secure storage. Fortunately I use a Stop lock which prevented the van from being stolen. The little B tried to force the stop lock off and in doing so sheared the steering wheel off. This rendered the van useless.
Nothing apart from a life hammer was stolen from the van so it was intention to take the van. By the way itís a Chausson welcome 35.
In all I had 4 windows damaged which I may add withstood the attempt and the lock on the habitation door.The force of the steering lock shearing the wheel when it finally wrecked the wheel cracked the windscreen as the little B flew back toward the passenger side.

I have only just got the Dometic windows replaced apart from the toilet one which is still on order. The mechanical side was fixed very quickly by the ford garage.

Since this I have fitted extra security the best being arms that fit to the front doors which lock back over the door post making it impossible to open the front doors from outside these also lock into position.

So although we all love the tranny for it overall reliability and performance you need to add extra security.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS