27-08-2009, 19:51
Hi everyone

Jane and I fancy visiting Carcasonne. Any advice on good spots appreciated
regards
Jane and Stirling

pianosonic
27-08-2009, 20:05
hi jane n sterling
there is a good aire right under the castle walls.10 euros for 24 hours .great for exploring .

regards terry

wints
27-08-2009, 21:04
Very busy aire at Carcassone, and not level. And Carcassone very touristy and overrated in my opinion. We stopped at the aire in Trebes which I think is now closed, a shame because it was right on the canal du midi.
Spoilt for choice with views, out of one window the canal, opposite window a vineyard.
regards
Allen

hogan
28-08-2009, 07:54
hi jane n sterling
there is a good aire right under the castle walls.10 euros for 24 hours .great for exploring .

regards terry

I think the charges are now 1 per hour.

guerdeval
28-08-2009, 07:58
Best to go out of season imho as its a bit tacky,men dressed as knights etc and a bit pricey, good municipal campsite though just a short walk up river towpath.

ian81
28-08-2009, 09:42
Trebes is closed but there is a new and little publicised aire nearby at Fonties d'Aude -leave Carcassonne towards Trebes and after a new roundabout just before Trebes turn right. Has free water and emptying as well as parking.

It is possible to park in the various supermarkets car parks (Geant or Leclerc).

Also some of the villages to the south have good car parks.

hake
28-08-2009, 13:50
Thanks for the info.had a few days at Trebes back in June thought it was a fantastic spot.Closed just in High season or more permanent ??

David & Ann
29-08-2009, 07:41
Drive over the bridge, the castle should be on the left. At the aroud-a-bout do a sharp right down a small one way street. Follow it for a couple hundred yards. Great car park area on level ground. Quiet and peaceful right by the river. From there you can walk to the castle and sightsee. And it is free parking. To get out follow the one way system and you should find yourself back on track.

ian81
29-08-2009, 11:09
Drive over the bridge, the castle should be on the left. At the aroud-a-bout do a sharp right down a small one way street. Follow it for a couple hundred yards. Great car park area on level ground. Quiet and peaceful right by the river. From there you can walk to the castle and sightsee. And it is free parking. To get out follow the one way system and you should find yourself back on track.

Sorry David -dont recognise these instructions. Are you talking about the bridge that takes the main N113 over the Aude to the centre of Carcassonne because this leads straight into to the ring road round the centre of the main city.

It is possible if travelling towards central Carcassonne to bear right just before the bridge and come under the main road. It is possible to park here but noisy. Beware of the low bridge and the 'priority from the right' that operates in this area.

They have closed the road by the canal at Trebes to all traffic -I guess permanently.

David & Ann
29-08-2009, 16:36
Hi Ian, driving from NARBONNE to CARCASSONNE on the D6113 (N113) Driving over the bridge to the end (I said around-a-bout) It really is like a T junction although it is not, as it is a one way at this very point. While driving over the bridge the Castle is on your left and the river is on your right. You can see the parking area from the bridge. Once over the bridge you will see a large building face on. I think there is a grassy area all the way from the point of crossing the bridge to the large building. The road after the bridge is signposted MAZAMET and CASTRES which takes you onto ALBI on the D118 then D612. From the traffic lights at the bridge you turn right. At this point you have 3 roads, one which bends to the left for MAZAMET, the road straight after turning right, is the one you come back on yourself after after your stay there. WATCH OUT!!! as you turn right there is a very narrow road (one way) which will lead you to the parking areas. We stayed there 3 days. Castle walk was great with beautiful sights but well priced for the tourist. Hope this helps.

ian81
29-08-2009, 16:58
hi David - I guess you are referring to the Berges de l'Aude -which have height bars although often swung back? (43.2137 2.36028)

The grassy area you refer to is now an underground car park.

(currently resident at our French base at Mazamet)

Also for the record note they have opened a link road between the commercial zone just off the main road in to Pont Rouge.

David & Ann
29-08-2009, 17:14
Yes, come to think of it, there are height barriers, but out of action. I thank you for your knowledge of the area. It was my first time there. We enjoyed our visit around the area.

ederland
30-08-2009, 15:43
Hi David - We are going to Carcasonne end September and your recommendation sounds great. However, we have a large Lunar (7.8 Meters, 3.3 high). We're new to motorhoming (although husband has HGV license) and have never been to Europe in one, so how narrow is that narrow one way street? Any help greatly appreciated!

David & Ann
31-08-2009, 05:25
Hi Ederland
My MH is 7.1 metres long and 3.1 high. I reckon you should be okay. You may need to ramp your front and rear wheels on one side due to a slight slope due to form of road for drainage. Entering into the street is narrow but plenty to get by.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS