Route A849
Locality Craignure
Post Town Isle of Mull
County Argyll and Bute
Country Scotland
Postcode PA64 6WZ
Postcode Prefix PA64
Views 3

This has gone. Was told there are no locations in Mull apart from campsites. Iím buying water from the co-op and using those bottles at toilets, showers etc as itís easiest.

Dorcas
21-06-2018, 11:43
I think they have taken all water pipes out or made marinas inaccessible.

POI Admin
21-06-2018, 15:11
Thanks for the update. I'll remove it from the POIs.

There are three other locations in the POIs on Mull ...

Dorcas
22-06-2018, 09:04
Thanks for the update. I'll remove it from the POIs.

There are three other locations in the POIs on Mull ...

All inside toilets ie use the taps

POI Admin
22-06-2018, 21:05
Just to clarify did you visit the other tap locations in the POIs? They are all listed as taps not basin taps ...

Admin
24-06-2018, 09:44
Just to clarify did you visit the other tap locations in the POIs? They are all listed as taps not basin taps ...

I got this information from Dorcas in a support ticket:

So craignure no tap on side of toilet

Salen tap was in gents toilet so couldn’t check
Tobermory - please ask someone else to check but no I couldn’t see it and big signs saying no authorised entry and it here I asked where I could get water
Bunesan - again please ask someone to check as I couldn’t find it.

Jeff G
24-06-2018, 10:19
I know there were Council thoughts re Bunessan, Calgary Beach, Salen, Ulva Ferry and Scaranish are under
consideration for closure.This is from a FOI request in November last year

The one in Tobermory sells ice cream now iirc

davep10000
23-07-2018, 20:45
There is a mains water tap behind the chip van on the pier in Tobermory.
Dave

POI Admin
23-07-2018, 22:08
Thanks for the information. I'll add it to the POIs.

LindsayH
07-09-2018, 10:34
Hi guys! Just so you know, I used the tap at Craignure last week. It is indeed located on the outside of the toilet block next to the ferry port. It is on the side wall by the entrance to the ladies. We were using the inside basin tap but had the outside tap pointed out by a friendly local.

paulhelenwilko
07-09-2018, 11:07
Hi guys! Just so you know, I used the tap at Craignure last week. It is indeed located on the outside of the toilet block next to the ferry port. It is on the side wall by the entrance to the ladies. We were using the inside basin tap but had the outside tap pointed out by a friendly local.

We used this tap in the last couple of weeks, but the sign over the taps in the toilet block states not drinking water!

Helen

paulhelenwilko
11-09-2018, 10:01
Forgot to mention, at the ferry port for Iona there is a tap which we used.
Located as per poi between 2 buildings.
Drive as if catching ferry, there is an old cal Mac porta cabin in and a new cal Mac building. Tap located by disabled toilets, you can pull up and attach your hose.

If you use the campsite at Uiskin beach ( £2 ppm) you can get water at the craft where you pay for camping.

hairydog
11-09-2018, 10:33
We used this tap in the last couple of weeks, but the sign over the taps in the toilet block states not drinking water!

HelenWe were at a place in the highlands last year. There was a tap labelled "Not drinking water" but there was also a cafe.

We asked in the cafe to be told that it is the same water supply that they use in the cafe. The sign was only because they can't guarantee that the (outside) tap isn't dirty.

Well, wash it, dear Liza!

LindsayH
17-09-2018, 19:37

Helen

Ah yes, I see your point! I actually saw similar signs on other basin taps on Mull so I wonder if it's some sort of policy there?? I don't use mine for drinking and there wasn't one over that tap so I didn't worry about it. Also the fact that it was recommended by a local. Some of the more strongly worded signs I saw probably would have been enough to put me off those ones though.

Fisherman
18-09-2018, 07:53
I was there only last year and there were two taps at the end of the Leadaig carpark in Tobermory.
They are used by the boats, I cannot see them being removed.

paulhelenwilko
19-09-2018, 17:57
I was there only last year and there were two taps at the end of the Leadaig carpark in Tobermory.

The taps by the marina have bright new shiny padlocks on them and motor homes and campervans are told to go elsewhere.

Helen

paulhelenwilko
20-09-2018, 06:53
Paul says tap is on outside of toilet building.

Helen

groyne
20-09-2018, 07:48
The taps by the marina have bright new shiny padlocks on them and motor homes and campervans are told to go elsewhere.

Helen

That's how it was in August, so we got the first ferry to Kilchoan the next morning.

4maddogs
24-10-2018, 08:48

These are now locked with a sign telling campervans to use tbe campsite.

POI Admin
24-10-2018, 19:03
These are now locked with a sign telling campervans to use tbe campsite.

Thanks for the information. I'll remove this entry from the POIs ...

Fisherman
24-10-2018, 19:15
There is a mains water tap behind the chip van on the pier in Tobermory.
Dave

Last time I was there two years ago there were two taps at the bottom end of leading carpark in Tobermory.

I cannot believe this. They complain about the ferry charges are to expensive and affecting local business.
The Scottish government bring in road tariff equivalent fares reducing the cost by two thirds.
This being paid for through our taxes.
Now they complain about motorhomes, whilst doing less than nothing to provide the basics for them.
Things have to change.

Jeff G
24-10-2018, 19:37
Last time I was there two years ago there were two taps at the bottom end of leading carpark in Tobermory.

I cannot believe this. They complain about the ferry charges are to expensive and affecting local business.
The Scottish government bring in road tariff equivalent fares reducing the cost by two thirds.
This being paid for through our taxes.
Now they complain about motorhomes, whilst doing less than nothing to provide the basics for them.
Things have to change.

They want the tourist money without the hassle of the tourist.Spent a few weeks on Shetland,felt welcome everywhere we went,great place to tour in a van .

Floridaphill
23-11-2018, 14:07

Helen

Possible the numbers of people wanting to get water for free has prompted this.
if its business water is metered and its off the business profits if no one pays.

Fisherman
23-11-2018, 17:22
Possible the numbers of people wanting to get water for free has prompted this.
if its business water is metered and its off the business profits if no one pays.

Ah well that's ok then.

So you complain about ferry fairs for decades making your Island to expensive to visit, then when the Scottish government subsidises your ferries by around 65% you then complain about to many visitors.

So not only are they doing nothing to provide facilities they are now removing what little they used to supply. :mad1::mad1:

Floridaphill
23-11-2018, 18:29
Ah well that's ok then.

So you complain about ferry fairs for decades making your Island to expensive to visit, then when the Scottish government subsidises your ferries by around 65% you then complain about to many visitors.

So not only are they doing nothing to provide facilities they are now removing what little they used to supply. :mad1::mad1:

You said it yourself, the government subsidised the ferries and promoted Scotland which is great, but gave the local councils no money to provide more or maintain the roads or any other tourist infrastructure.
As councils like highland are very cash strapped theres no option but to cut these services (and jobs too) or charge to keep facilities open which is slightly better.
The locals don't like it either but they also want there services for which they pay for via council tax in there area.

A poor situation for all of us.

Silver sprinter
23-11-2018, 18:30
My friends sister is in tobermorry, and says locals are complaining about the amount of motorhomes parking in tobermorry, at a meeting the council said thay would put up parking meters, but the locals didn't like that as it would hit there pocket, so the council is looking into other options,

Fisherman
23-11-2018, 18:42
You said it yourself, the government subsidised the ferries and promoted Scotland which is great, but gave the local councils no money to provide more or maintain the roads or any other tourist infrastructure.
As councils like highland are very cash strapped theres no option but to cut these services (and jobs too) or charge to keep facilities open which is slightly better.
The locals don't like it either but they also want there services for which they pay for via council tax in there area.

A poor situation for all of us.

What does it cost to keep a tap available for motorhomes.
This looks more like locals simply attempting to piss of mototorhomers.

Mull is a beautiful Island I have driven every road on the Island many times.
But the problem seems to be Tobermory, to many vans there at one time.

The road from Salen to Tobermory needs upgrading, its far to busy for a single track road.
Strange why we don't hear complaints about all of the cars on the Island.
But as most of them are staying in cottages or hotels and B&Bs they are made welcome.

I have nothing against paying for chemical waste points and water, perhaps that could be a solution.

Fisherman
23-11-2018, 18:45
My friends sister is in tobermorry, and says locals are complaining about the amount of motorhomes parking in tobermorry, at a meeting the council said thay would put up parking meters, but the locals didn't like that as it would hit there pocket, so the council is looking into other options,

Why would anyone want to spend anytime in Tobermory, when there are fabulous parts of the Island to visit.
Mull has much more to offer than Tobermory.

Floridaphill
23-11-2018, 19:23
Why would anyone want to spend anytime in Tobermory, when there are fabulous parts of the Island to visit.
Mull has much more to offer than Tobermory.

I agree i would, as many people on this forum would pay for water and waste or at least offer to contribute or donate.
I also feel theres been a huge rise in motorhomes, hired motorhomes and tourist hire cars coming to the Highlands, campsites in places are full high season and inconsiderate behaviour.

Again infrastructure and traffic management is lacking in general not helping matters.

I don't like staying in a urban areas and I can see how its can cause friction with the locals, its their town after all.

Fisherman
23-11-2018, 19:29
I agree i would, as many people on this forum would pay for water and waste or at least offer to contribute or donate.
I also feel theres been a huge rise in motorhomes, hired motorhomes and tourist hire cars coming to the Highlands, campsites in places are full high season and inconsiderate behaviour.

Again infrastructure and traffic management is lacking in general not helping matters.

I don't like staying in a urban areas and I can see how its can cause friction with the locals, its their town after all.

Like the name Phill, we love going to Naples.

Yes what's lacking is forward planning.
But last time I went to Mull there were two motorhomes and around 80 cars on the Ferry.

runnach
23-11-2018, 19:45
My thoughts on an easy solution would be facilities at each ferry port, Craigiure, Fishnish, Tobermory and, Fionnphort. Similar to Outer Hebrides setup.

Floridaphill
23-11-2018, 19:58
My thoughts on an easy solution would be facilities at each ferry port, Craigiure, Fishnish, Tobermory and, Fionnphort. Similar to Outer Hebrides setup.

Yes outer Hebrides was well set up, I was impressed but then again there were not that many motorhomes or campsites fr that matter.
Come to this of it not many pubs or shops either !

Love the place

Fisherman
23-11-2018, 21:27

Yes runnach I agree with that.

Also folk have to realise that Mull has so much more to offer than Tobermory.
But Aros Park could be used to provide Motorhome parking for one night with a short walk into Tobermory for those who wish to spend a day there. But if you travel to mull and spend a lot of time in Tobermory you are missing the rural parts of a beautiful island.

runnach
23-11-2018, 23:25
Yes runnach I agree with that.

Also folk have to realise that Mull has so much more to offer than Tobermory.
But Aros Park could be used to provide Motorhome parking for one night with a short walk into Tobermory for those who wish to spend a day there. But if you travel to mull and spend a lot of time in Tobermory you are missing the rural parts of a beautiful island.

I know Mull very well from a diving point of view. My dive bud was born there, we still have a mooring in Tob bay. His brother is a highly respected Mullite, for his passion to nurture new Island talent with traditional music, inner and outer Hebs.

Last October we had a few at the Mish, he mentioned excess MH's, which he doesn't have a problem with, he just wishes we would get out of his when way he tries to go about his business around the island, some of us seem to be ignorant of island etiquette and, pulling into passing places to allow faster traffic pass by us.

campalumpa
11-04-2019, 14:15
we went last year as there was a tap in the loo at salen although you could not attach hose to it

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS