PDA

View Full Version : Abergavenny - Brecon

Barbt
02-09-2009, 17:02
Drive over the mountains from Abergavenny and there is a superb place to wild camp right at the top. Plenty of space to park up and good walking all around.

There's a good layby but with somewhat dubious toilets on the A40 just out of Brecon going towards Abergavenny, lots of space, picnic tables and room to walk the dog.

kangooroo
02-09-2009, 18:09
Is this the small parking area by the former Keeper's Pond...? Super spot, if so and with views towards the Beacons.

mandrake
03-09-2009, 13:05
there are plenty of places to overnight in the brecons we are there at the moment (ps there is a classic veihcle show in merther tydfill this sunday if anyone is intrested and its free entry ) just a word of warning in some laybies there seem to be nocturnal goings one wink wink :eek:flashing lights and luvy duvy men but other than that there are some great places to see . also you can stay over in brecon town

ajs
03-09-2009, 13:30
just a word of warning in some laybies there seem to be nocturnal goings one wink wink :eek:flashing lights and luvy duvy men

loads a bleetin to no doubt....:eek::eek:

regards :rolleyes:
aj

mandrake
03-09-2009, 14:33
yes but they aint sheepish about it :eek::eek:

Barbt
03-09-2009, 14:41
Is this the small parking area by the former Keeper's Pond...? Super spot, if so and with views towards the Beacons.

No, that's not the same spot, although we were there at the weekend - in thick fog! beautiful views when the fog cleared though.
To get to the spot I mentioned you need to go in the other direction - without getting the map out, I think you need to go on the A40 to start with.

dav
03-09-2009, 15:17
Where can you park in brecon or within walking distance.

suej
03-09-2009, 15:48
L
Moterhomes can park in large carpark in centre of Brecon nr Free street. It's not far from the large supermarket..morrisons (I think). You can overnight for one night if I remember rightly. Memory isn't what it should be .. put it down to CRAFT moment!!

AndyC
03-09-2009, 17:09
L
Moterhomes can park in large carpark in centre of Brecon nr Free street. It's not far from the large supermarket..morrisons (I think). You can overnight for one night if I remember rightly. Memory isn't what it should be .. put it down to CRAFT moment!!

It's the Watton car park N51 56.765 W003 23.124 - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=N51+56.765+W003+23.124+&sll=51.946315,-3.385119&sspn=0.005952,0.013797&ie=UTF8&ll=51.94609,-3.385382&spn=0.001488,0.003449&t=h&z=18)

It's a few minutes walk into the town centre, we stayed there a few weeks ago.

AndyC

ajs
03-09-2009, 19:44

went from avabadpenny (the bus station) through to brecon and beyond on sunday...
with 4 other bikers:cool:
... bet we passed some of you..:rolleyes:

regards :cool:
aj

maingate
03-09-2009, 21:00

went from avabadpenny (the bus station) through to brecon and beyond on sunday...
with 4 other bikers:cool:
... bet we passed some of you..:rolleyes:

regards :cool:
aj
Does yer bus pass get you as far as that?

Cannot be bad.

ajs
03-09-2009, 22:06
Does yer bus pass get you as far as that?

Cannot be bad.

funny thing this free bus pas thingie:rolleyes:
... haven't used a bus fer 20 / 30 years..
so why do they think i now want te use em just cus they are free :eek:

regards:p
aj

maingate
03-09-2009, 22:12
funny thing this free bus pas thingie:rolleyes:
... haven't used a bus fer 20 / 30 years..
so why do they think i now want te use em just cus they are free :eek:

regards:p
aj
Cos all the Yorkshire lads do.

mandrake
04-09-2009, 17:19
L

we were up there a few weeks back and we asked a parking attendent he said that they turn a blind eye to a couple of nights in the long stay car parks the one near morrisons is nice and quiet andi think its only 2.50 ish to park the full day

coventrycraig
04-09-2009, 20:01
we done that last year, near Brecon there was an A road passing through some lovely hills with a layby right at the top - with a burger van there till teatime and then we had the whole carpark to ourselves with cracking views.

We woke up early surronded by mist benaeth us

Craig

barnybg
13-11-2009, 18:58
As you enter Brecon from the Merthyr direction,you pass over an old (roman)bridge,soon as you enter before the hill and lights(pub on right) theres a turning left,follow that all the way,comes out at a huge carpark/park and Brecon RIVER,where you can hire rowboats/paddle boats and swim.
Another place out of town towards Hereford is TALYBONT-ON-USK and the Brecon CANAL system,get out your pushbikes,canoes or rubber dinghy!

A good cheat for spending days /weekends away is to check out what car shows/steam fairs are about and park up in the corner for a small fee !see the show and the local area in safety..

biggirafe
14-11-2009, 10:03
As you enter Brecon from the Merthyr direction,you pass over an old (roman)bridge,soon as you enter before the hill and lights(pub on right) theres a turning left,follow that all the way,comes out at a huge carpark/park and Brecon RIVER,where you can hire rowboats/paddle boats and swim.
Another place out of town towards Hereford is TALYBONT-ON-USK and the Brecon CANAL system,get out your pushbikes,canoes or rubber dinghy!

A good cheat for spending days /weekends away is to check out what car shows/steam fairs are about and park up in the corner for a small fee !see the show and the local area in safety..

Hi Mate
Sounds good, can you post a link to google maps I'm having a problem finding this on the map?
Thanks

ajs
14-11-2009, 10:54
Hi Mate
Sounds good, can you post a link to google maps I'm having a problem finding this on the map?
Thanks

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d86/pmms/talybontpencilli.jpg

in my opinion 1 of the nicest places/areas you could possibly visit for walking...:cool:
big camp site at pencilli :rolleyes:

regards ;)
aj

barnybg
23-01-2010, 17:00
Sorry mate,But if you use google mapsanyway,just type in the search BRECON,and pan in and out,left or right..Talybont-on-Usk,that canal goes all the way to Newport i think,cant remember how far the other way ?

The A road someone mentioned,might be the famous A470 and the top of the hill(burger vans),could have been where the hotel./mountain rescue are ,and the very famous PEN_Y_FAN mountain,if your into serious walking,then try this walk,but make sure you dress properly,a few have died here !!!
The SAS use this area,amongst others,also Brecon and HEREFORD,if you had carried on toward Hirwaun/Aberdare,you would have passed a few lakes and a massive caving area,if your into caving,(i have seen many a London minibus and from all over, there),worth a trip from there down to the M4 and onto Porthcawl,from there back to Swansea and Gower...:)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS