PDA

View Full Version : matlock

sloth
05-09-2004, 12:10
for any one visiting derbyshire you can park over night in the train station carpark for free it looks a bit scary but when we stayed we had no problems the police came round several times but never aproached us you could also possibly stay at matlock bath station car park at a grand cost of 10p between 10pm and 8am and 4 pounds for the rest of the day although we havent try staying there ourselves if any one does let us know how it goes

cas
20-10-2004, 20:54
Hi there,

Stayed at the car park in Matlock Bath got there about 6pm plenty of space when we returned to our van around 10pm it was packed and couldnt of got out if we'd wanted to. Once things died down all was ok, there were a few vans that stayed overnight which suited me being a single mum with 2 kids and a dog, did look at the station at Matlock but it was to quiet for me. (Im a bit of a coward)

cas

janie
04-03-2006, 14:20
:) hi, we stayed at matlock station car park for 2 nights last week. it was fine, we had no probs, very quiet but prob time of year. we had a job to park on the saturday, but after 5 the car park was quiet. would recommend staying there. we had a great time! you can still stay overnight at matlock bath for 10p & we spotted the same at bakewell but this car park is right in the centre & busy. its worth a try!

mandrake
29-05-2006, 15:04
hi just just returning to motorhoming used matlock bath station car park nice spot bit quiet but seems safe enough looking forward to many more places to try i am used to laybyes just finished trucking

jmdainton
04-06-2006, 11:42
Stayed at both Matlock station, and Matlock Bath station last October. No one else staying overnight at either at that time, but had no problems at all. Dashed out of bed at 8 am at Matlock Bath to put another 10p in the meter, but dont think I really needed to!!

jmdainton
04-06-2006, 11:45
Anyone tried Bakewell yet?

mandrake
04-06-2006, 20:27
just returned from matlock this weekend stayed in car park on left just about halfway between matlock and matlock bath next to the the gatsbys damn things 20p plus toilets open all night only down side hight restriction but ok for popups and the like

mark7
05-06-2006, 22:42
ello.. i have stayed a couple of time in matlock bath car park and its been great. there is a lovely old couple that stay there several weeks a year, Les and Mo. They have been going there for 21 years and have lots of friends now who go and vist them for a nite or two and i well do the same. The pubs are great with no trouble and good ale, try it......

mandrake
06-06-2006, 06:49
cheers will see if there about next time we stay

bilvo
18-06-2006, 21:54
hello , found this site very helpful. we too stayed for 1 night at matlock bath station carpark. les and mo were there too in their strange old van(with their large black labrador)they assured we would be ok (1st timers you see), despite the no camping sign. toilets just around the corner , we went on a bank holiday sunday, the place is full of motorbikes every sunday until about 5, no trouble though ;)

rogerangie
15-12-2006, 22:03
Just seen on the news that there is going to be a bye-pass at Matlock. Guess where it is going. Right through OUR station cat park!!

batesy
26-02-2007, 20:29
Anyone tried Bakewell yet?
try the industrial estate at the top of the hill off the A619 go into bakwell on the A6 from matlock go over the bridge over river and bear right up steep hill estate at top of hill

loubylou
14-10-2007, 19:45
Just been up to Matlock for the weekend fireworks. We couldnt get on to the railway station carpark as the police were only letting the buses through. There were a couple of M/H on there, just 20p to park all night until 8am.
However, this did look like a busy place and not very private. We found another carpark further along the same road down a side street next to the Cromwell Hotel you can park there for 20p per night. Near to the park and river and tucked out of the way.
Lou;)

mandrake
14-10-2007, 20:40
Just been up to Matlock for the weekend fireworks. We couldnt get on to the railway station carpark as the police were only letting the buses through. There were a couple of M/H on there, just 20p to park all night until 8am.
However, this did look like a busy place and not very private. We found another carpark further along the same road down a side street next to the Cromwell Hotel you can park there for 20p per night. Near to the park and river and tucked out of the way.
Lou;)
hi how did your weekend go we have seen that car park but i think there is a hight restriction barrier if my memory serves me and did you like the fireworks a great place for a weekend

mikejay
14-10-2007, 20:49
We went to see the fireworks seen the police had blocked the carpark and there was a few campers on there so went down to the cromford park and ride and got the bus back up 50p each .After watching the fireworks which were really good and all the boats we went and got the van and went back to the station and parked up with 2 other vans for the night.

Mike

loubylou
14-10-2007, 21:15
hi how did your weekend go we have seen that car park but i think there is a hight restriction barrier if my memory serves me and did you like the fireworks a great place for a weekend

Hi Mandrake
Your absolutely right there is a height restriction barrier at 7'7'' Our van fits under that so I forgot to mention it.

We had a great time. It is a lovely place. Today we parked in the above mentioned carpark and walked along river, had coffee at the bandstand cafe then had carvery at the Boat Inn before heading back.

Fireworks were fantastic as always and with the other entertainment it really is a good night.
Best regards
Lou

loubylou
14-10-2007, 21:21
We went to see the fireworks seen the police had blocked the carpark and there was a few campers on there so went down to the cromford park and ride and got the bus back up 50p each .After watching the fireworks which were really good and all the boats we went and got the van and went back to the station and parked up with 2 other vans for the night.

Mike

Hi Mike
we caught the bus from there, there was only two mh there so you must have got there a little after us, I did have a look to see if there was any one from this forum but it was quite busy. was it a quiet night? I have heard it can be noisey with car meets.
Regards
lou

mandrake
14-10-2007, 21:23
yes it is a lovely walk we love it have walked it lots ha may not be the same next time tho ah well glad you enjoed it

loubylou
14-10-2007, 21:27
yes it is a lovely walk we love it have walked it lots ha may not be the same next time tho ah well glad you enjoed it

I understand, how you doing? You havent mentioned him, any thoughts on another four legged friend?
Lou

mandrake
14-10-2007, 21:50
I understand, how you doing? You havent mentioned him, any thoughts on another four legged friend?
Lou
no havent mentioned storm but when you said about the riverside walk well it brought some memories back anyway getting back to will we be getting another more than likely but will leave it a bit cheers

grath
15-10-2007, 18:19
Hi Mandrake.
I have decided to stay on this Great Wildcamping Website as no other site can touch it!!:cool:
May see you sometime at Matlock!:D
Thanks for your advice
regards Graham

Telstar
15-10-2007, 18:34
Hi

I've been watching this thread. It appears that a few of us have been to Matlock Bath for the night and the talk of fireworks and boats with lights might have attracted a few to think about this 'little seaside place' in the middle of the country. Can I suggest that next time one of us is planning to go there that we post it. You never know, we might be able to fill the car park on our own! I myself only live over the border in South Yorkshire. Jon

mandrake
15-10-2007, 18:38
Hi

I've been watching this thread. It appears that a few of us have been to Matlock Bath for the night and the talk of fireworks and boats with lights might have attracted a few to think about this 'little seaside place' in the middle of the country. Can I suggest that next time one of us is planning to go there that we post it. You never know, we might be able to fill the car park on our own! I myself only live over the border in South Yorkshire. Jon
yea so do i wombwell matlock is a lovely place for a weekend it would be nice to meet a few faces behind the posts

mandrake
15-10-2007, 18:42
Hi Mandrake.
I have decided to stay on this Great Wildcamping Website as no other site can touch it!!:cool:
May see you sometime at Matlock!:D
Thanks for your advice
regards Graham
hi grath yes it is the best site around tried the others lights are on but nobody in i know it has its troubles but dont we all at times

grath
15-10-2007, 18:48
hi grath yes it is the best site around tried the others lights are on but nobody in i know it has its troubles but dont we all at times
Hi mandrake.
Just like a bl**dy big family ha ha:eek:
Getting back to Matlock.
As you know I am not far from there and I keep saying that I must go, so I will!!!
Maybe next weekend!!!!:D

mandrake
15-10-2007, 18:56
yea we may try next weekend let you all know a bit nearer see how it goes with er indoors memores off our storm still a bit fresh in her mind

grath
15-10-2007, 19:18
yea we may try next weekend let you all know a bit nearer see how it goes with er indoors memores off our storm still a bit fresh in her mind
Ok mate, just let me know!
regards Graham:cool:
It depends a little on our 23 year old daughter as she has just had her tonsils out and feeling not too good!!!

mandrake
15-10-2007, 21:05
Ok mate, just let me know!
regards Graham:cool:
It depends a little on our 23 year old daughter as she has just had her tonsils out and feeling not too good!!!
dont think she will do 23 and had tonsils out ouch the older you are the worse it is give her our best wishes i have a 28 year old daughter also STILL WITH US :eek: :eek: but i think i would miss her :D if she went she comes with us some times :eek: :eek:

mandrake
15-10-2007, 21:07
by the way my name is graham too

grath
15-10-2007, 21:33
by the way my name is graham too
We get everywhere don,t we!!:D :D
Yes, Our Daughter is having a bad time with it at the moment. She had to get extra stength pain killers from the Docs today!!!!:eek:
But you know the saying "no pain no gain"
he he he:eek:

loubylou
15-10-2007, 21:48
Hi

Can I suggest that next time one of us is planning to go there that we post it. Jon
Hi Jon,
I did!
regards
lou

mandrake
15-10-2007, 22:04
We get everywhere don,t we!!:D :D
Yes, Our Daughter is having a bad time with it at the moment. She had to get extra stength pain killers from the Docs today!!!!:eek:
But you know the saying "no pain no gain"
he he he:eek:
shudnt realy say this tho if your daughter is any thing like mine at least it keeps them quiet tell her to get well quick

grath
15-10-2007, 22:11
shudnt realy say this tho if your daughter is any thing like mine at least it keeps them quiet tell her to get well quick
The house has never been quieter!!!:D :D ;)

tresrikay
30-11-2007, 12:45
Why dont we start the meet ups this weekend, at Matlock seems everyone goes there once in a while.

grath
30-11-2007, 16:44
Hi Richard, we are staying home this weekend and looking at the weather :eek:I am quite happy!!!:D
I think for a meet, a goodish weather forcast would be favorable:D

tresrikay
30-11-2007, 22:42
Hi Richard, we are staying home this weekend and looking at the weather :eek:I am quite happy!!!:D
I think for a meet, a goodish weather forcast would be favorable:D

Hello Graham and Kath, Thanks for your great company last weekend and enjoy this one at home. I think I might be off somewhere near Dovedale. Remember there's no such thing as bad weather just wrong clothing and the vans always toastie. Regards Rik.

grath
31-12-2007, 16:33
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1916.jpg
Matlock Bath

grath
31-12-2007, 16:35
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1909.jpg
No Camping at Matlock Bath and no veh over 2 ton
Todat 31/12/07

grath
31-12-2007, 16:56
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1912.jpg
Matlock Bath

grath
31-12-2007, 16:57
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1921.jpg
Matlock Bath Fish Pond

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1919.jpg

grath
31-12-2007, 17:07
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1913.jpg
Matlock Bath

grath
31-12-2007, 17:19
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1911.jpg
More of Matlock
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1920.jpg
Matlock Fish Pond

mandrake
31-12-2007, 17:21
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1921.jpg
Matlock Bath Fish Pond

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1919.jpg ther are some lovely fish in the pond did yoy have a pint in the fish pond pub :D

grath
31-12-2007, 17:25
No we went into one of the 7 fish & chip shops.
Mind you we could have taken our own fish from the pond:D:D

mandrake
31-12-2007, 17:43
ha ha thats one thing you wont do at matlock bath, is starve or go thirsty . more cafs chip shops and pubs than you shake a stick at:D:D:D.

grath
01-01-2008, 09:11
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1909.jpg
No Camping at Matlock Bath and no veh over 2 ton
Todat 31/12/07

Just thought that I had better mention that the parking shown is not where you would probably overnight a M/H.:eek:
The area that I would use is adjacent to the Coach Park and to the rear of where I was standing when I captured this photo.:)

tresrikay
30-01-2008, 18:02
we have used this stop for a few years, no more, nearly ticketed at 7:45am last w/e for staying, with o/n ticket in window 2, had to smooth talk out of it, (good job I was up & about!!) a private Co is now looking after it 4 the council, I was told, B warned!!
Same all around matlock / derbyshire area parks was told!!

Ian

Isn't it typical, councils getting private heavies to do the dirty work and persecuting easy targets instead of sorting out the real filth crime and anti social problems. Private heavies are not so keen to stick there noses in the trough and hoover up council tax payers money if it might warrent a bit of hard work. Shame on Derbyshire County Council.:mad::(:mad::eek:

lenny
30-01-2008, 19:03
Isn't it typical, councils getting private heavies to do the dirty work and persecuting easy targets instead of sorting out the real filth crime and anti social problems. Private heavies are not so keen to stick there noses in the trough and hoover up council tax payers money if it might warrent a bit of hard work. Shame on Derbyshire County Council.:mad::(:mad::eek:

Your'e so right(shame on you Derbyshire County Council):mad:

All the more reason to start lobbying the landlords of potential pub stopovers
to let us stay the night legally, without the worry of these parasites slapping parking tickets on our windscreens or being moved on in the early hours.

30-01-2008, 21:21
Better check out your Monsal Head meet:confused:
I was thinking of going back to Cromford, but will have to rethink:mad:

tresrikay
31-01-2008, 09:37
Better check out your Monsal Head meet:confused:
I was thinking of going back to Cromford, but will have to rethink:mad:

Hi Graham, Just an Idea, wonder if it might be worth while sounding out the Rugby club at Cromford, as they have masses of parking and we could offer donations over and above the councils parking rate to overnight just the other side of the wall, 3 or 4 vans at say 5 per night, they may be worth an approach and we may get a few more of the wary ones to join us. What do the rest of the CROMFORD 7 or anyone else think. If you want to view the site for yourself look at the links in the Cromford thread, the rugby clubs car park is the other side of the wall. there is also the free car park further along that road that i found when I was off walking. No parking fee no sign saying no overnight parking and pretty level, its just a bit near the treatment plant if the wind should be blowing the wrong way. We have to be a step ahead of the game, if they (the councils) are known to be throwing good money at such a trivial non problem then the council tax payers will soon be up in arms asking why they are wasting money chasing people that are doing no harm and in fact contributing to the Councils coffers and the local economy.:mad::p:(

mandrake
31-01-2008, 17:07
tht carpark at the other side of the wall no go area for overnighting seems to belong to a phsico farmer .

GregM
10-04-2010, 10:35
We was in Matlock yesturday for the day (in car) and we noticed two motorhomes in the station car park mid afternoon, later, about 5:30pm there where 3 or 4 in the car park and as we walked away we saw another coulple that appeared to be turning into the car park.

rebbyvid
10-04-2010, 20:38
Greg was that Matlock Bath as i have stopped a few times there but thought the station car park at Matlock was now Sainsbury's car park.
rob

GregM
10-04-2010, 20:54
Greg was that Matlock Bath as i have stopped a few times there but thought the station car park at Matlock was now Sainsbury's car park.
rob
Rob

It's funny actually we was going into Sainsbury's and like you thought it was their car park but it doesn't appear to be.

As you go along the new bit of road (how new i dont know) you first have a bus stop/parking area, then further up you have the car park I am referring to which is a Pay and Display (both where old car park was), if you pass that you then come to some lights, turn left and go over the railway line and the Sainsbury's car park is on the left.

rebbyvid
11-04-2010, 08:55
Rob

It's funny actually we was going into Sainsbury's and like you thought it was their car park but it doesn't appear to be.

As you go along the new bit of road (how new i dont know) you first have a bus stop/parking area, then further up you have the car park I am referring to which is a Pay and Display (both where old car park was), if you pass that you then come to some lights, turn left and go over the railway line and the Sainsbury's car park is on the left.
Know the one you mean its a bit close to the road for passing traffic so would prefer the station car park at Matlock Bath or Cromford,have stayed on both a few times recently.

rebbyvid
11-04-2010, 09:08
Tell a lie :rolleyes::rolleyes: had the Tribute for just over 12 months so year before last:D
Matlock bath
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/rebbyvid/hymer/DSCF0047.jpg
Cromford
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/rebbyvid/hymer/IMAG0614-1.jpg
Rob

GregM
11-04-2010, 09:37
Rob

Yes, you are right it is close to the road. We didn't stop but had noticed the number of MH's that appeared to be.

I do plan to stop at Cromford at some time in near future and might try Matlock bath aswell over a weekend.

We have only wildcamped once so far so we're newbies and as they are fairly close to home they are ideal for us.

rebbyvid
11-04-2010, 09:53
Greg another good spot in the area is Monsall Head just before Bakewell if coming from Buxton.Real ale pub with good food but gets very busy with walkers
and also pub at Millars Dale but cant comment on that til after the arranged meet in a couple of weeks.
View from car park at Monsall Head
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/rebbyvid/derbyshire/2008_0608picsfirst0006.jpg

cipro
11-04-2010, 18:58
yes we have been to monsil head but the level parking is only at the top and not for maney vans:D

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS