PDA

View Full Version : Highland Minimeet 21st - 24th September

magbrin
18-07-2018, 10:35
Date now set!

Highland Minimeet 21-24th September at Brin, near Inverness, IV2 6XD

Free, but we ask for donations to The Neil Mackenzie Trust.

Tried and tested format - we may even go to Dores Inn again and as long as it is not so dry as it was two weeks ago we can have a bonfire - however we are not yet praying for rain! Shopping trip, walk/swim/cycle, themed evening, BBQ, & Ceilidh, pub meal. Join in all or none! More details to follow.

It is unlikely, but in the event of too much interest, numbers may be limited.

Hope to see you soon.

Angus and Margaret

Tonybvi
18-07-2018, 19:22
It’s in our diary now Margaret. Our 46th wedding anniversary on 23rd so it saves me taking Sue out! We’re happy to go to the Dores again as we had no complaints at all about the last visit.
Love to everybody up there.
Tony & Sue

magbrin
07-08-2018, 17:43
This isn't looking good ..................
:anyone:
Have had a couple of people interested from another site - but we need at least 10 vans to sign up, before this will go ahead. Otherwise how about meeting up somewhere else, Tony, for the weekend?

Clunegapyears
08-08-2018, 20:57
Farnham?

magbrin
08-08-2018, 21:10
:lol-053::lol-053::lol-053::lol-049::lol-049::plane::giggle:

nightman
08-08-2018, 21:23
Hi all just got my camper so can I come please
Ill try to be good
Iain

Tonybvi
09-08-2018, 17:39
Farnham?

Sue and I would happily go back as my Dad sold his house in Tilford to my nephew and it would be nice to go back their again. However I suspect that it would be a tad too far for those living in Scotland!

Margaret we’re keeping that w/e free come what may so whatever you decide re the Minimeet we can meet up somewhere.

Tony & Sue

Clunegapyears
10-08-2018, 08:48
Sue and I would happily go back as my Dad sold his house in Tilford to my nephew and it would be nice to go back their again.

Tony & Sue

Tilford - know it well. My sister lives there ... Charles Hill. We could take over the cricket green with our vans ... walking distance to the pub!

Tonybvi
10-08-2018, 09:10
Tilford - know it well. My sister lives there ... Charles Hill. We could take over the cricket green with our vans ... walking distance to the pub!

The Barley Mow with that great character Ted Slinger as landlord!

magbrin
10-08-2018, 09:21
Pros:
Pub on site - no hassle with minibusses, numbers etc
Cricket pitch - ample flat space for parking, unlikely to flood and plenty of space for a big bonfire
Easy distance for 100s of motorhomers (should they want to join the rabble!)
cons:
Distance from the Highlands - it is after all a "Highland" Minimeet
No local mountains, lochs, wildlife or Nessie
No peace and mass light pollution

On ballance, this year, I think we will stick to the Highlands!!! As I often say - Maybe another time!!

magbrin
10-08-2018, 09:25
On that note .............................

3 vans so far booked. Still need more. What are YOU doing that weekend?

I'll leave it a couple of weeks before making final decision.

BTW Tony, we will be coming to Deeside the weekend before - to use our ill gotten gains! Fancy B&B in Dinnet and meal in Ballater. Are you about then?

Tonybvi
12-08-2018, 21:05
On that note .............................

3 vans so far booked. Still need more. What are YOU doing that weekend?

I'll leave it a couple of weeks before making final decision.

BTW Tony, we will be coming to Deeside the weekend before - to use our ill gotten gains! Fancy B&B in Dinnet and meal in Ballater. Are you about then?

Should be around then - might even stay in the b & b, was it the Loch Kinord Hotel that you won in that raffle that was fixed?!
T & S

magbrin
13-08-2018, 19:53
Fixed! Drawn by the bandleader ...............and we paid the band!

Still looking for more vans - spreading the word through other forums (fora?), and will also open the BBQ to local friends for a bit of spirit!

Tonybvi
13-08-2018, 20:06
Come on folks - this is a really good meet. Fantastic location, fantastic hosts and always a really good laugh. I appreciate that it is a long journey for most of you but well worth the trip. Enjoy Scotland at its very best.
Tony

magbrin
14-08-2018, 09:03
Think you may be talking to yourself, Tony! (or me?!) I'm quite used to it, of course, but we are not getting as many views as previous meets - not sure why.

Maybe there are some people out there who are on holiday in the highlands in September - you don't need to come for the whole weekend, just join us fot the BBQ and Bonfire on Saturday night (22nd)! It's all free, although we do ask for donations to The Neil Mackenzie Trust.

Tonybvi
14-08-2018, 17:44
Margaret
I really have to hunt for this thread as it never appears on the first page which has meets but not gatherings. The only way I can find it is to click the forum tab.
Is there any reason why it can’t go down under meets?
Tony

magbrin
20-08-2018, 12:53
Margaret
I really have to hunt for this thread as it never appears on the first page which has meets but not gatherings. The only way I can find it is to click the forum tab.
Is there any reason why it can’t go down under meets?
Tony

There does seem to be a problem, Tony. Things have changed a lot over the course of this year (motorhomer.com was "hosting" meets for a while, and now they are largely back here). I think that was partly the reason for the numbers at the Gathering being low. As you say, it's hard to find this one, and so only people who are looking for a meet or gathering will see it. Will communicate with Admin, and have put a post on off topic chat Thanks for your support! (https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/off-topic-chat/63378-thanks-your-support.html). I will also send pms to some of the people who I thought might come. In the mean time I am also putting it up in other places .................... I expect it to go ahead however few vans there are - planning a big BBQ for the Saturday night with locals to swell the numbers!

magbrin
27-08-2018, 16:15
Ok. We have one or two from another site signed up now! So we WILL go ahead.

Early arrivals on Thursday - but you may be on your own!

Friday - Get together - theme to be decided!

Saturday - shopping trip to Inverness on Service bus. Afternoon walk, cycle or possibly swim! BBQ and bonfire - we will be inviting some locals to join us. Bring your musical instruments for the ceilidh.

Sunday - pub lunch. More details nearer the time.

Please let me know when you expect to arrive and depart, if you want to join the pub lunch, and if you are willing to drive the community minibus - if it is on the road!
All the best and safe travels
Margaret

Looking forward to seeing everyone

wingedone
29-08-2018, 22:24
Hi Angus and Margaret,

I now know I will be back in time so can you add me to the list for Highland Minimeet.

Cheers Pam K.

Date now set!

Highland Minimeet 21-24th September at Brin, near Inverness, IV2 6XD

Free, but we ask for donations to The Neil Mackenzie Trust.

Tried and tested format - we may even go to Dores Inn again and as long as it is not so dry as it was two weeks ago we can have a bonfire - however we are not yet praying for rain! Shopping trip, walk/swim/cycle, themed evening, BBQ, & Ceilidh, pub meal. Join in all or none! More details to follow.

It is unlikely, but in the event of too much interest, numbers may be limited.

Hope to see you soon.

Angus and Margaret

magbrin
03-09-2018, 10:40
Hi Angus and Margaret,

I now know I will be back in time so can you add me to the list for Highland Minimeet.

Cheers Pam K.

That's great news, Pam, look forward to seeing you again.

Anyone else?

Will post final details soon. We may still be looking for a driver - depending where we decide to go on the Sunday. Any volunteers?

magbrin
03-09-2018, 17:39
Ok! We now feature in the listing of recent threads on meets, gatherings and rallies. (as do other gatherings). Thanks Phil! Possibly a bit late to make a difference for this time - but you never know.

Below is the list of people coming. Please could you let me know when you expect to arrive (we are happy to have early arrivals on Thursday), and leave, and if you would like to join the pub lunch on Sunday. We have not booked anything this time, as our numbers are small, but will make a decision where to go, on Friday evening, and book on Saturday.

Magbrin
Tonybvi
nightman
georgieporgie
wingedone
roamingman
There are also several from another site.

Notes/Timetable:
Friday evening theme - Spaghetti. Bring your own pasta forks, or if you haven't got any - bring your chopsticks again!
Saturday - morning shopping trip to Inverness, on service bus. Afternoon walk/cycle/swim
- evening BBQ, bonfire and ceilidh. We will be inviting some locals to join us.
Sunday: pub lunch

We're looking forward to another memorable weekend!

roamingman
04-09-2018, 18:12
Hi Margaret, will try again to get up to the show, we shall try for Thursday arrive.:)

brucews
05-09-2018, 09:06
Sorry Margaret, as suspected, we will not be able to make those dates, Pat's birthday and other grandchildren duties are taking precedence; we hope you all have a great time and that the weather is good for you again to enjoy that dip in the loch; perhaps catch up next year?
Hugs etc,
Bruce & Pat

magbrin
10-09-2018, 10:24
Hi Margaret, will try again to get up to the show, we shall try for Thursday arrive.:)

Looking forward to seeing you again! Hope you make it this time!

Sorry Margaret, as suspected, we will not be able to make those dates, Pat's birthday and other grandchildren duties are taking precedence; we hope you all have a great time and that the weather is good for you again to enjoy that dip in the loch; perhaps catch up next year?
Hugs etc,
Bruce & Pat

Sorry you won't make it - but there is always another time!

Still plenty of space for latecomers, but please let me know if you are coming!

Tonybvi
10-09-2018, 17:56
Margaret
You’ve really given me an education! I’d never heard of a pasta fork before but good old Mr Google has come to the rescue so I’m now well informed.
Really loved the swim last time but I reckon it may be a bit chillier towards the end of September.
Arriving Friday (maybe Thursday but unlikely) and leaving Monday.
Happy to drive if required so obviously would also like to attend the pub lunch.
Looking forward to meeting up with you and all the other reprobates again.

Tony & Sue

jagmanx
10-09-2018, 19:53
We are off to warmer climes on Wednesday 12th Sept so cannot be there.

Hope you have a good meet...
Best wishes to all

Hope to see you and others maybe next year

Phil & Nida

magbrin
11-09-2018, 18:23
All looking good, sorry Phil & Nida that you won't be here. We will all be thinking of you as we freeze in front of the bonfire!

Thanks, Tony, for offering to drive the bus - Angus will be in touch as unfortunately you will need to send details to Donna again.

See you all soon, safe travels.

nightman
14-09-2018, 12:16
Hi Margaret
Arrive Thursday till Monday meal if allowed
Ill try to be good :dance:

Clunegapyears
14-09-2018, 21:11
Sorry I can’t do a pasta challenge! Have fun. We will be clearing a house and garage of our stuff after tenants left yesterday. Nothing like as much fun. X

magbrin
14-09-2018, 23:00
Sorry I can’t do a pasta challenge! Have fun. We will be clearing a house and garage of our stuff after tenants left yesterday. Nothing like as much fun. X
We'll miss you! Hope we'll see you next year!

magbrin
18-09-2018, 10:40
Just a reminder to anyone in the area - Highland Minimeet (IV2 6XD) starts on Friday - well, Thursday, if you want to arrive early!

Spaghetti evening on Friday, BBQ & bonfire on Saturday, pub lunch on Sunday. Bring your own food and drink (for Friday and Saturday), and be prepared to share! Also useful, extra rolls, sauces cooking utensils, plastic rubbish bags, kitchen paper etc. Weather looking ok for Saturday, so far, but if it is too wet/windy we will eat in the Schoolroom.

Minimeet is free, but we offer you the opportunity to donate to The Neil Mackenzie Trust! (The Neil Mackenzie Trust (http://www.theneilmackenzietrust.com/))

Let me know if you have any queries.

All the best, safe travels and see you soon!

slowgiles
18-09-2018, 12:12
Just purchased my first converted Campervan and will hopefully be in the area. If so, will call in to say hallo, but not sure about the swim at this time of the year!

wingedone
18-09-2018, 16:46
Hi Margaret and Angus,

Please put me down for pub meal. I hope to arrive Thursday early evening and leave on the Monday.

Cheers Pam

Clunegapyears
18-09-2018, 19:13
Have a fabulous time, know you will. Wish we could join you. X

magbrin
19-09-2018, 06:40
Just purchased my first converted Campervan and will hopefully be in the area. If so, will call in to say hallo, but not sure about the swim at this time of the year!

Look forwaard to meeting you, and your van! We'll let you off the swim - nothing is compulsory! Do you want me to put you down for the pub lunch on Sunday - and if so how many of you are there?

nightman
22-09-2018, 10:12
Thursday 20/9/18 on my way to Inverness Mini Meet. My Van broke down at 7 miles past Blairathel, my gear box packed up completely. I phoned Angus to let him know what happened, I left the house at 9am, didn't get home till 9pm. So just to let you know I'm giving up campervaning all because of this, you soon find out who your friends are?

Regards
Iain

The laird
22-09-2018, 10:18
Thursday 20/9/18 on my way to Inverness Mini Meet. My Van broke down at 7 miles past Blairathel, my gear box packed up completely. I phoned Angus to let him know what happened, I left the house at 9am, didn't get home till 9pm. So just to let you know I'm giving up campervaning all because of this, you soon find out who your friends are?

Regards
Iain

So sorry to hear about your bad luck Ian,is there no way you can rectify the problem etc
Shame to loose your freedom through this
Hope you can fix all the best mate

The laird
22-09-2018, 10:44
Ian was your van on a 911 recovery truck rear suspended tow ,I was heading back from up north in truck and saw a talbot on a recovery truck

brucews
22-09-2018, 10:58

Regards
Iain

That's bad luck Iain, it will also be a shame if you give up campervaning now, isn't it time to change your van again anyway? I hope you reconsider, as you are a popular character on the wildcamping scene, and will be missed if you give up now. :cry::cry::sad:

Bruce & Pat (July 18 minimeet)

Tonybvi
22-09-2018, 12:02

Regards
Iain

You’re not allowed to give up Iain! If we had known we would have been down ASAP to help you out - we’re still your friends and we’re missing you at the meet. Hope to see you again soon
Tony & Sue

nightman
22-09-2018, 12:37
Ian was your van on a 911 recovery truck rear suspended tow ,I was heading back from up north in truck and saw a talbot on a recovery truck

Hi Gordon that was not me iv now got a Fiat Ducato that was its first run to a meet so it will be its last
Iain

nightman
22-09-2018, 12:48
You’re not allowed to give up Iain! If we had known we would have been down ASAP to help you out - we’re still your friends and we’re missing you at the meet. Hope to see you again soon
Tony & Sue

HI Tony & Sue
Sorry bat this is the last camper for me I'm phone is on pay as you go and was on that a lot of calls it ran out of money and at my age 9 hours at the side of the A9 sent very nice the both of you have been vary good friends and will miss you both
Iain

Clunegapyears
22-09-2018, 14:19
Oh Iain what a horrid 12 hours for you. No wonder you’re fleeing fed up and ready to jack in the campers! Especially if is as wet up norf as it is here.

Don’t do anything hasty with regards the van, perhaps in a few weeks you will be able to see your way to repair or replacement van ... just remember all the fun you’ve had.

magbrin
23-09-2018, 10:58
Iain - have only just read the posts, although Tony had told me. So sorry you did not make it - your craik has been missed by wildcampers and locals alike! What a day you had. Unfortunately I know that when you make up your mind ................................ it is unlikely to change, but we will really miss you if you don't come back. Anyway - keep all the old flyers to remember us by, and in the mean time we will hope that you will be here again next year!

magbrin
24-09-2018, 19:23
Thanks to all of you that came to Brin for the minimeet. As always we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and it was great to see old friends and new. Despite the small numbers, we raised over £200 for The Neil Mackenzie Trust. Thank you for your generosity. Another junior skills grant or part of a larger expedition grant. For more information about our charity visit The Neil Mackenzie Trust (http://www.theneilmackenzietrust.com)
We will only be having the gathering at Brin next year which will be in June or early July, Hope to see you all then. Will post the dates in the New year. We do have an idea for an alternative minimeet - watch this space!
All the best, safe travels, and Happy Winter!

Tonybvi
24-09-2018, 19:39
Thankyou very much Margaret and Angus for organising the Minimeet. Despite the lowish numbers and the occasionally inclement weather we thoroughly enjoyed it as usual. It is a great meet for meeting old friends and making new ones and just generally relaxing in such superb surroundings, all of which we did this time round again.
Angus - we avoided the heavy load on the A9 but we couldn’t believe the number of photographers that seemed to be stationed all along the route from where we joined the A9 to the substation site. Have these guys got nothing better to do?!

Tony & Sue

roamingman
25-09-2018, 10:14
And a big thank you from us, good weekend, you have to expect rain this Tim of year in Scotland, nice to meet some new people and have a chat.

Regards Kevin/Dilys

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS