PDA

View Full Version : No claims discount

noah and nelly
20-08-2018, 17:42
Just renewed insurance with AIB. Fair enough price but bit miffed about not getting a no claims discount. Is this the norm for a Moho/camper ??

mistericeman
20-08-2018, 17:52
Often yes....

Same with classic policies... We have 5 series landrovers on a multicar policy (around 250 year fully comp with European cover unlimited mileage etc etc)
That accrues no no claims.

delicagirl
20-08-2018, 17:53
what is the insurer's/brokers justification for this practice ?

colinmd
20-08-2018, 17:59
Often yes....

Same with classic policies... We have 5 series landrovers on a multicar policy (around 250 year fully comp with European cover unlimited mileage etc etc)
That accrues no no claims.

As this, but you need to ask if you leave them will they give you proof of not claiming.

yorkslass
20-08-2018, 17:59
Interested to know why as mine is up for renewal and planning on calling AIB.

mistericeman
20-08-2018, 18:05
As this, but you need to ask if you leave them will they give you proof of not claiming.

Most insurers offering no no claims discount... Also won't provide proof of no claims...
At least most companies you ask for quotes from won't accept any proof anyway...
It's essentially a racket (mate of mine got reversed into on a petrol station forecourt... And wasn't even in his car....
His insurance doubled the next renewal...
Apparently its 'no claims NOT no fault)

noah and nelly
20-08-2018, 18:13
what is the insurer's/brokers justification for this practice ?

Was told "As it was a leisure vehicle it did not qualify for no claim discount"

Minisorella
20-08-2018, 18:24
Do you have a car too? I seem to remember being told ages ago that you can only have a no claims bonus on one vehicle at a time, with one insurer at a time. I wonder if motorhome insurers automatically assume that it's a second vehicle?

Jenrai
20-08-2018, 18:44
AIB used my 9+ years NCD on my motorhome insurance, which was a new policy in July. My MH is the only vehicle in the household though.

channa
20-08-2018, 18:49
Wrong answer :hammer::sad:
Your no claims bonus applies to a single car and, although it can be transferred to an alternative car, it can't be applied to an additional car or another vehicle. It's possible to build up multiple NCBs on vehicles insured under different policies.

Some companies will mirror your NCD that you hold on a car as an introductory offer on a motorhome or achieve a market competitive price with more bull **** :hammer:
Spot on and NO Claim not a NO Blame bonus.

It is a lob sided affair, if you have car A with full NCB you might get an introductory discount on a second vehicle. But one thing is for sure in that if you have had a claim in Car A IT WILL load on the policy car b

Mirroring etc can sometimes work in your favour I saved about 1300 compared to to other insurers when I wanted to insure a car as well as the van AIB weaved a bit of magic on that occasion

Channa

channa
20-08-2018, 18:57
AIB used my 9+ years NCD on my motorhome insurance, which was a new policy in July. My MH is the only vehicle in the household though.

They did a similar thing with me had 9 yrs NCD on the van with other companies, but needed a car for work so transferred to the car hence the saving and underwrote on a stand alone basis the MH
Channa

Minisorella
20-08-2018, 19:12
Wrong answer :hammer::sad:
Your no claims bonus applies to a single car and, although it can be transferred to an alternative car, it can't be applied to an additional car or another vehicle. It's possible to build up multiple NCBs on vehicles insured under different policies.

Some companies will mirror your NCD that you hold on a car as an introductory offer on a motorhome or achieve a market competitive price with more bull **** :hammer:

Thanks for clarifying Charlie :) Makes me wonder why I've never built up a NCB on the motorhome though. I might give AIB a call to see what they say. I remember we did get an introductory allowance the first year from a different company but we switched to AIB ages ago.

mistericeman
20-08-2018, 19:33
Different insurance companies and different under writers make the rules up in different ways depending on which way the wind is blowing (usually in their advantageous direction)

There is sadly no universal set of conditions.... Other than chances are you WILL be the loser.

oppy
20-08-2018, 19:42
We insured through AiB courtesy of a discount via a competition on WC, at the end I got an automatic renewal notice quoting almost twice the price, got a quote from my previous insurers that was the same as my previous policy with AiB, guess which we are with. As an aside though, when I asked for a copy of NCD, it arrived and had been reduced by 10 years, curious, mmmm

noah and nelly
20-08-2018, 20:30
Kinda seems they can do what what they like. Might try some different tactics next year. :lol-061:

peter palance
21-08-2018, 06:40
Just renewed insurance with AIB. Fair enough price but bit miffed about not getting a no claims discount. Is this the norm for a Moho/camper ??

adrian flux at 0800-081-0448 i have changed to from ffffff nose! .pj

R0B
21-08-2018, 07:29
adrian flux at 0800-081-0448 i have changed to from ffffff nose! .pj

I'm with them too - honoured my 9yes ncb but MH is my only vehicle, I don't know if that had any bearing.

groyne
27-08-2018, 12:30
If insuring with AIB send them proof of previous NCB even though they don't ask for it. I was with them for a couple of years, but they couldn't compete on price for my new van. Having thrown away old insurance papers I couldn't prove I had 10 years plus NCB, so ended up with the 2 years AIB would vouch for. New insurance company was still cheaper though.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS