View Full Version : Insurance for 'business' use

23-09-2009, 12:28
I am buying my first campervan but because of my job (photographer) and the fact it will be my main vehicle I cannot find any insurance. It's hugely frustrating given I have never made a claim in more than 20 years of driving. There must be someone out there who will provide cover!

Can anyone offer some crumbs of comfort?

23-09-2009, 12:50
NFU Mutual insure our motorhome for business use.

When shopping around only CaravanGuard and the NFU would quote, NFU were over 200 cheaper. It's not such a comprehensive policy but adequate for our needs.


23-09-2009, 18:29
Yes I noticed this when insuring mine this summer. Flux would only quote on the basis that I had another vehicle, even just for trips to work. It wasn't a problem for me as I do have another vehicle insured, but I can see it would be for some people who want the motorhome as the only vehicle.

25-09-2009, 07:57
I believe many insurers don't provide cover based on individual customer circumstances anymore. They simply tick boxes based on standard questions only for the computer to say no/yes.

Obviously they are in business to make money and it works for the majority, but why should it be more difficult for a careful driver with plenty of NCD to insure a campervan than it would be for a convicted drink-driver to reinsure a car, for example?

25-09-2009, 10:57
Saga insure me for my camper although I do not own another car, I am mentioned on my wifes policy though, not for business though.

27-09-2009, 08:11
NIG insured mine. Their only concern was likely annual mileage as it is my sole vehicle

27-09-2009, 20:37
I had the same problem, due to work sending us to different centres we 'need' business use to travel to "Not normal place of work".

My broker found that N.I.G. offer this, cost me 30 which was an admin charge rather than a dearer policy - Good luck!

28-09-2009, 13:09
This is the problem I had and haven't managed to overcome in 3 years of searching for an insurer.

I have an online shop and need to be able to drive 6 miles to the post office twice per week but no insurer would cover it so, for now, I'm still having to run a Kangoo van and a Kangoo camper and it's costing me a small fortune :mad:

29-09-2009, 19:28
I think you need the services of Lifesure Insurance of St. Neots who in turn use NIG (and others), they were the recommended insurance company for the Mazda Bongo Owners club and were VERY well priced and I've stayed with them ever since and now have my partners Panda 4x4 with them complete with business use for me as a named driver so like you I can drive to other test stations - Good luck! You can email them for a quote:- info@lifesure.co.uk or give them a ring on 01480 402460

07-10-2009, 20:47
Just like to add my own recommendations for the only two companies that were interested in my business.

Lifesure (NIG) and NFU Mutual (who were cheaper).

07-10-2009, 21:07
I tried Lifesure but they didn't want to know because I was carrying goods, ie making 2 weekly 6-mile trips to the Post Office with orders from my online shop.

Good luck in your search - and please share if you do find an insurer which allows not only business use but carriage of goods!