PDA

View Full Version : Dunkerque stopover

Chip
08-10-2009, 12:06
Can anybody reccomend a stopover near Dunkerque ready for an early Ferry back to Dover? There dosn't seem to be an Aire close by, well not in any of the books I've got

AndyC
08-10-2009, 12:24
Can anybody reccomend a stopover near Dunkerque ready for an early Ferry back to Dover? There dosn't seem to be an Aire close by, well not in any of the books I've got
I believe there's an aire at Grande Fort-Philippe, here: N51.00548 E2.102781

AndyC

Belgian
08-10-2009, 12:36

Have a look http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/france/5358-dunkirk-wildcamping-spots.html
and in the rest of the department:
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/france/3111-nord-dep-59-a.html
(isn't this site a goldmine ? :cool:)

Geoff.W
08-10-2009, 12:41

We always use Gravelines, Rue du port 50*59'17"N 2*7'23"E.

Lovely water side Aire, short walk into interesting walled town, which is well worth a look and only about 10 - 15mins from Dunkerque Quest ferry port.

See here.

rue du port Gravelines France - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=rue+du+port+Gravelines+France&sll=50.987412,2.123012&sspn=0.012103,0.027423&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Rue+du+Port,+59820+Gravelines,+Nord,+Nord-Pas+de+Calais,+France&ll=50.988098,2.12255&spn=0.012102,0.027423&z=15)

Directions to port.

from: Rue du Port, 59820 Gravelines, France to: 51.01937,2.194862 - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Rue+du+Port,+59820+Gravelines,+France&daddr=51.01937,2.194862&hl=en&geocode=CWJUjJFnghTNFTcECgMdMWMgAA%3B&mra=mi&mrsp=1&sz=12&sll=50.986963,2.149887&sspn=0.096822,0.219383&ie=UTF8&z=12)

Chip
08-10-2009, 16:08
We always use Gravelines, Rue du port 50*59'17"N 2*7'23"E.

Lovely water side Aire, short walk into interesting walled town, which is well worth a look and only about 10 - 15mins from Dunkerque Quest ferry port.

See here.

rue du port Gravelines France - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=rue+du+port+Gravelines+France&sll=50.987412,2.123012&sspn=0.012103,0.027423&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Rue+du+Port,+59820+Gravelines,+Nord,+Nord-Pas+de+Calais,+France&ll=50.988098,2.12255&spn=0.012102,0.027423&z=15)

Directions to port.

from: Rue du Port, 59820 Gravelines, France to: 51.01937,2.194862 - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Rue+du+Port,+59820+Gravelines,+France&daddr=51.01937,2.194862&hl=en&geocode=CWJUjJFnghTNFTcECgMdMWMgAA%3B&mra=mi&mrsp=1&sz=12&sll=50.986963,2.149887&sspn=0.096822,0.219383&ie=UTF8&z=12)

Thanks this looks great, not been to France via Dunkerque before so didn't realise Gravelines was that close.

rebbyvid
08-10-2009, 17:16
I like Geoff have used Gravelines nice spot but dont be tempted to park on edge of marina as its causing a bit of problems with boat owners.i was there last xmas and it was fairly busy.Think you will foind Peejay has a thread on M.H.Facts on the subject.(I know he's a member here so he might be able to update you)
Rob

suej
08-10-2009, 18:40
Don't make the mistake that we did by thinking the ferry port is actually in Dunquerque cos it's not, it's a 20 minute drive away. I think you can park in the ferry terminal car park

Harry the Hymer
08-10-2009, 19:15
Hi, we stayed our first and last nights in a lovely car park next to the beach dunes in Malo les Bains - a km or two form Dunkirk centre. As someone ese pointed out though - it's a way from the port:)

peejay
08-10-2009, 19:20
I like Geoff have used Gravelines nice spot but dont be tempted to park on edge of marina as its causing a bit of problems with boat owners.i was there last xmas and it was fairly busy.Think you will foind Peejay has a thread on M.H.Facts on the subject.(I know he's a member here so he might be able to update you)
Rob

Hi, not sure if I'm allowed to do this but heres a paste from my post on another forum.....

Just a quick bit of info about the Aire De Stationement at Gravelines on the Rue De Port, an excellent place to overnight with the van but there appears to be a bit of confusion with both the locals and overnighting motorhomes as to where you can and cannot park.

We visited recently on the way out and on our return, its a great place to stay and very convenient for the Norfolkline ferry.

On both our visits motorhomes were parking directly along the quayside and in particular, close to the pedestrain acces to the boat jetty. It would appear that the proper motorhome parking area is the bit set back from the quay on the other side of the road near the bins and tourist info sign where there is room for about 20 vans. The problem here is there are no signs whatsoever indicating where you can and cannot park and the natural inclination is to park with the best view and nice and close to the water so consequently you get loads of vans along the quay settling in for the night, and why shouldn't they, there are no signs indicating otherwise.

Monsieur le boatowner then comes along in the morning expecting to park his car reasonably close to the boat acces point to unload all his kit to go fishing and why shouldn't he, but can't because of all these pesky vans parked up for the night. This is obviously an ongoing problem and the fishermen are getting a bit fed up with it and have started to block vans in that are parked along the front. In fact on our return stay they also blocked a few vans in and had their radio's blaring for about 10 minutes while they transferred their kit into their boats as a sort of mini protest.

I have emailed the Gravelines Mairie with regard to the need for proper signage and hopefully the local boat owners have also vented their frustrations to the appropriate sources to get this sorted out.

Its also worth pointing out that Friday is market day at Gravelines and the locals all descend on the town, parking their cars all along the front of the quay in front of some vans unintentionally blocking them in. Not a problem if you're not in a rush and going to the market yourself as the cars all start to dissapear around lunchtime when the market finishes, but it could be a problem if you've got a ferry to catch that morning and wake to find yourself boxed in.

I spoke to a few other motorhomers parked there and it appears to be a regular occurence so I think it would be prudent to park your motorhome on the area set back from the quayside on the road opposite to avoid yourself any possible hassle.

Never did get a reply from the Mairie and as far as I'm aware there have been no signs put up. I would suggest that if you do overnight on the area next to the water, to avoid any bad feelings, keep well clear of the jetty access gates so the fishermen have unrestricted access to their boats. Then everyone will be happy ;)
This isn't intended to put anyone off, its still a great place to overnight, but like most good things, its getting to be very popular.

PS, if it is full then the parking previously mentioned at Grand Fort Phillipe is a good alternative :)

Pete

Belgian
08-10-2009, 19:36
I just remembered 2 nice peacefull overnight spots not too far from Dunkirk in the French Flanders:
BERGUES (St Winoksbergen) (3DB3)
D916>South: Marché aux Bestiaux,> Stade Andries, Porte de Cassel (at the city walls) N 50 57 53.7, E 2 25 56
HONDSCHOOTE (3BE4)
Aire at the entrance of the little town, near the windmill (Moulin de la Victoire- Spinnewijn) S=2€

Geoff.W
08-10-2009, 20:26
Hi, not sure if I'm allowed to do this but heres a paste from my post on another forum.....

Just a quick bit of info about the Aire De Stationement at Gravelines on the Rue De Port, an excellent place to overnight with the van but there appears to be a bit of confusion with both the locals and overnighting motorhomes as to where you can and cannot park.

We visited recently on the way out and on our return, its a great place to stay and very convenient for the Norfolkline ferry.

On both our visits motorhomes were parking directly along the quayside and in particular, close to the pedestrain acces to the boat jetty. It would appear that the proper motorhome parking area is the bit set back from the quay on the other side of the road near the bins and tourist info sign where there is room for about 20 vans. The problem here is there are no signs whatsoever indicating where you can and cannot park and the natural inclination is to park with the best view and nice and close to the water so consequently you get loads of vans along the quay settling in for the night, and why shouldn't they, there are no signs indicating otherwise.

Monsieur le boatowner then comes along in the morning expecting to park his car reasonably close to the boat acces point to unload all his kit to go fishing and why shouldn't he, but can't because of all these pesky vans parked up for the night. This is obviously an ongoing problem and the fishermen are getting a bit fed up with it and have started to block vans in that are parked along the front. In fact on our return stay they also blocked a few vans in and had their radio's blaring for about 10 minutes while they transferred their kit into their boats as a sort of mini protest.

I have emailed the Gravelines Mairie with regard to the need for proper signage and hopefully the local boat owners have also vented their frustrations to the appropriate sources to get this sorted out.

Its also worth pointing out that Friday is market day at Gravelines and the locals all descend on the town, parking their cars all along the front of the quay in front of some vans unintentionally blocking them in. Not a problem if you're not in a rush and going to the market yourself as the cars all start to dissapear around lunchtime when the market finishes, but it could be a problem if you've got a ferry to catch that morning and wake to find yourself boxed in.

I spoke to a few other motorhomers parked there and it appears to be a regular occurence so I think it would be prudent to park your motorhome on the area set back from the quayside on the road opposite to avoid yourself any possible hassle.

Never did get a reply from the Mairie and as far as I'm aware there have been no signs put up. I would suggest that if you do overnight on the area next to the water, to avoid any bad feelings, keep well clear of the jetty access gates so the fishermen have unrestricted access to their boats. Then everyone will be happy ;)
This isn't intended to put anyone off, its still a great place to overnight, but like most good things, its getting to be very popular.

PS, if it is full then the parking previously mentioned at Grand Fort Phillipe is a good alternative :)

Pete

Hi. Not sure when the above was written, but when we were last there (early September) I think that their were some new signs. I must admit that I didn't study them that closely and given my virtualy zero knowlege of French, I could therefore be total wrong, but the signs did seem to indicate that all of the parking was for Motorhomes and parking of cars was not permitted, in fact the area nearest the access to the floating jetty was blocked off with large stones.

We are off to France again in a couple of weeks and it is quite possible we will pull in here if we do I will try and clarify the situation and report back.

As an aside, the area set back from the quay is quite new, when we first went there the only parking was that on the quayside.

peejay
08-10-2009, 21:04
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for that.

The large stones and signs weren't there when we visited March this year so perhaps they did take note of my email and have done something about it after all :cool:

Pete

westbay
09-10-2009, 07:39
Not sure if this is duplicating previous suggestions, but this where we stayed this July.

Large gravel park near Rue Militaire and handy for the wonderful British Museum - Militaire Du Souvneir. About 30 vans there for the night. About 5mins walk from sandy beach.
No facilities, but we watched with wonder as a French chap calmly walked into main road, lifted hugh manhole cover with puka lifter irons, and dumped.

July 13th / 14th was a bit noisy - then it is Bastile day!

N51.04664
E2.38104

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS