PDA

View Full Version : Trundling south

Baggins
10-10-2009, 18:18
Ambling down through France via byways rather than highways I can report that yesterday I had the best value for twenty quids of fuel than in the previous 50 years.

Stayed in Crest last night – very pleasant little town in the Rhone Alps although I was parted with 3.50E by an attractive young lady at 8am for overnight in serviced Aire (first in 17 days so not too bad) - looked at the map and headed for the mountains.

The loop north of Crest and round to the quaintly named Die is about 60Km but with only one other vehicle on the road every half hour or so what bliss to potter along, stopping an extraordinary number of times to take photos and just stand and stare. Up through the clouds until, at 1500Mtrs, I was in the sunshine looking down on the mist.

The final 10Km takes you down one of the best drops through hairpins that I remember.

Not for the faint hearted this but a full-sized coach passed me on the hairpins – and if they can do it!

Hope to add a couple of photos when I find faster connection to upload.

Anyone on here with more knowledge could tell me about anything unmissable as I trundle (roughly) south?

Back in Crest (found it also has free WiFi) after a night on the mountain – hope the lady allows for a lay-in on Sundays!

BW

biggirafe
10-10-2009, 18:33
Ambling down through France via byways rather than highways I can report that yesterday I had the best value for twenty quids of fuel than in the previous 50 years.

Stayed in Crest last night – very pleasant little town in the Rhone Alps although I was parted with 3.50E by an attractive young lady at 8am for overnight in serviced Aire (first in 17 days so not too bad) - looked at the map and headed for the mountains.

The loop north of Crest and round to the quaintly named Die is about 60Km but with only one other vehicle on the road every half hour or so what bliss to potter along, stopping an extraordinary number of times to take photos and just stand and stare. Up through the clouds until, at 1500Mtrs, I was in the sunshine looking down on the mist.

The final 10Km takes you down one of the best drops through hairpins that I remember.

Not for the faint hearted this but a full-sized coach passed me on the hairpins – and if they can do it!

Anyone on here with more knowledge could tell me about anything unmissable as I trundle (roughly) south?

Back in Crest (found it also has free WiFi) after a night on the mountain – hope the lady allows for a lay-in on Sundays!

BW
I'm seriously jealous sounds absolutley fantastic, me I spent today under the MH pop-riviting patches onto coroded wheel arches, doesn't really compare :rolleyes:

Belgian
10-10-2009, 18:48

BW
Voilà, Baggins: 'les merveilles de la France' :eek:
In Die you are in the Provence (with good wines :cool:) and a few hairpins above it you are in the Vercors where last winter still lasts :confused:
Take the slow roads to the south and don't miss 'Dieulefit' (= God-made-it);)
and you will know why they said :'to live like God in France' :D:)
Have a jolly good time,:)
Leo

barryd
10-10-2009, 18:53
Sounds lovely. We were in that Area in July. Hit Annecy on July 14th Bastile Day! It was packed but Aix Les Baines and the lake over the hills from Annecy was a little less packed, both lovely places but I see you are heading south and past there now. The Aire at Lac de St Croix (St Croix) is worth a visit and I think that is still south of you. If your using the All the Aires book be very careful if you go there as the co-ordinates are wrong and they take you down a really steep hill in the village and try and take you round a 180 degree bend a car would struggle with. Keep going and the Aire is easy to find with fantastic views high up above the lake. A lovely little village and a superb lake. Some other nice spots around the lake as well. The Aire was packed in July but I reckon it should be ok now. There is a charge, someone comes round but some vans parked down the bottom next to the lake for free. Your not supposed to but then like much of France nobody seems to care. Attached is a photo taken from the back of the van on the Aire in July

Have a great trip and keep us posted as to where you get to. Wish I was back there!!!!!1

Belgian
10-10-2009, 19:27
If your using the All the Aires book be very careful if you go there as the co-ordinates are wrong and they take you down a really steep hill in the village and try and take you round a 180 degree bend a car would struggle with.

That's the trouble with GPS in the mountains. Normally you have 5 to 10 satelites monitoring you up to a 10 m pin point. On steep slopes in mountain area you probably have only 3 to 5 which give you a range of about 100m; in this way GPS can end up on a stretch of road under or above your position with misleading information. Don't belive Miss GPS in those area's :rolleyes:

Baggins
10-10-2009, 19:58
I'm seriously jealous sounds absolutley fantastic, me I spent today under the MH pop-riviting patches onto coroded wheel arches, doesn't really compare :rolleyes:

Never mind - my boy had to do the same to the Tranny B4 I left

Baggins
11-10-2009, 13:28
In Die you are in the Provence (with good wines :cool:) and a few hairpins above it you are in the Vercors where last winter still lasts :confused:
Leo

Belgian yet again your encyclopaedic knowledge of La Belle France got me to the spot-on location that is Dieulefit – what a gem.

Lovely lady in Tourist Info gave me comprehensive maps covering the byways in the area and said many Brits have second homes here.

Judging by the house prices much of thosecity bonuses’ may well have ended up here.

Weather just like British summers used to be - Nah.......better.

I may well be some time!

BW

Belgian
11-10-2009, 14:37
Hi Baggins,
Glad you found Dieulefit a gem too :)(tried to keep this secret for a long time :rolleyes:)
If you are not afraid of narrow winding roads take the D130 (south east) to the 'Col de la Valouse' (> St Ferrol) and then north again D70 through le 'Défilé de Trente Pas' (another small gem: Chaudebonne) and then the D173 (>east) to another nice village: 'Cornillon-sur-l'Oule' where you can park at the lake
This really is a forgotten region but so peacefull and beautifull ;)
(Now my treasure-box is nearly empty :rolleyes:)
Let us know what you experienced,
Leo

Baggins
16-10-2009, 13:56
Leo

Some photos here Leo:

Picasa Web Albums - Baggins - Leo's Circuit (http://picasaweb.google.com/bagginsandthebear/LeoSCircuit?authkey=Gv1sRgCPylv_rO_abrnwE#)

I Hope

Monday 12th October.

Thanks for location of more of your secrets Leo. I started from Nyons so have reworked the route.

So here’s the plan:
NYONS, AUBRES, VALOUSE, CHAUDEBONNE, ST FERRIOL TRENTE PAS, CORNILLON SUR L’OULE.

Weather at 9am very dark and wet – 9.30 the wind had blown it all away from the uplands and sky was blue.

STUNNING, simply stunning – I don’t have words to suitably describe. It’s like going through Scotland’s Glen Coe over and over again.

Highlights? Very difficult to say as I enjoyed ever metre: Can’t fail to mention the fields of Lavender by Teyssieres; The freshly made Spaghetti Bolognaise in a Bar in La Pailette and the return down the D70 from Chaudbonne to St. Ferriol-Trente-Pas through the valley on a ‘gently winding’ road – (this part suitable for any size vehicle) – culminating in a rock valley that was simply so spectacular that it made our Cheddar Gorge a pale imitation in comparison.

Writing this now by your final recommendation; the lake at Cornillon-sur-L’Oule and, as you so rightly say, a very peaceful and beautiful spot. I have it all to myself. Looks like good walking country. We’ve let the cat out of the bag now – won’t be room to pitch a tent by this time next year!

After some excellent local sausage with fried onions in a split baguette plus a glass or two of red perhaps a day off is in order.

I never cease to think how lucky we are in our choice of travel – I wouldn’t swap this for a series of 5-star hotels.

Now I’ve done the lower slopes it’s time to face the real thing as I travel east.

BW

This bit only of interest to people who like following map routes. Always time to laugh at myself: SOMEHOW – and there’s only me here – after St. Ferriol-Trente-Pas someone punched CONDORSET into TomTom so there I was travelling up’n’up’n’up through the most magical scenery and hairy bends wondering why no – and hoping not to see – traffic from the opposite direction until I came to the end of several Kms of tarmac road without turn-offs onto 500mtrs of gravel and a farmyard – didn’t bother to jump out and feed the barking dogs as I turned around and headed back down with, if possible, even better views and overheating brakes.

A few pictures and route map here – with a bit of luck.

BW

P.S. Right – Just to deserve the second Banger Baguette and perhaps another glass I’ve walked around the lake and pool, also studied the exercise course and concluded that maybe that’s tomorrow’s challenge – unfortunately I forgot to take the camera so off-I-go-again. I may even try a sit-up or three although I’ve left it a bit (very) late to develop a six-pack I think.

The next morning…………………………….But did you find the little path on the opposite side of the lake that follows the river for about a Km but has a branch off that takes you up into the pine woods for a different view and on to the village from where I took the road back to a well-earned sausage, egg and bacon breakfast.

Great find Leo……thanks again.

Bill

Belgian
16-10-2009, 15:33
Hi Baggins,
I see you dared to follow these narrow winding roads. No sweat on your hands ?:confused:.
I remember my wife saw nothing of it for she had both eyes closed when the ravine was on her side ;).
I also remember at midway I saw the petrol gauge going down. And in a hairpin was a petrol truck coming down. I backed off; and asked the truckdriver, when he was squesing oast, where the nearest petrolstation was. 'Do you want some diesel ?', he said. Got a hose out and pumped my tank full - free. 'A left-over he said'
Nice man :)
If you like narrow winding roads take the D20 at Veynes (>Gap) via Esparron and Barcillonenette the the D420 and D19 (with nice vieuws) towards Gap.
Happy winding :rolleyes:
Leo

Wee-z
18-10-2009, 13:05
Thanks Belgian and Baggins

between you you have produced an excellent post
you might be right next year it could be full of Wildys

weez
Tony

Belgian
18-10-2009, 13:44
Thanks Belgian and Baggins

between you you have produced an excellent post
you might be right next year it could be full of Wildys

weez
Tony

Thanks Tony,
I don't think we wilders could ever overfill this region. It is so remote, underpopulated (or depopulated - most villages or hamlets don't have more than 100 inhabitants) but very nice and natural. Local authorities are doing their best to make tourism going, but is a hard job. As far as I know locals are very positive towards MH'rs (as long as these behave correctly, and spend a little of their money)
Leo

Baggins
19-10-2009, 16:39
Hi Baggins,

If you like narrow winding roads take the D20 at Veynes (>Gap) via Esparron and Barcillonenette the the D420 and D19 (with nice vieuws) towards Gap.
Happy winding :rolleyes:

Leo

I love the petrol truck tale - first class.

Thanks for that Leo but I had already moved on to St Andre Les Alpes. First class village with good Aire. Had many walking misadventures there but won't bore you all with them..

I woke up last Saturday to the first light frost so - being a wimp - drove the 100Kms down to Nice where it is very hot and more beautiful than I remembered it from 30 years ago. Staying in Beaulieu- sur-Mer and using good public transport to comute the Riviera.

WHAT a road down from Gap to Nice - almost downhill all the way ..... could have done it on a bike!. Would recommend the route to anyone who likes GRAND scenery.

I've thrown a few more pics up here: Picasa Web Albums - Baggins (http://picasaweb.google.com/bagginsandthebear)

BW

ellisboy
19-10-2009, 18:42
Great pictures Baggins,wish I was there now!.:D

Wee-z
19-10-2009, 19:07
[I][/
Baggins
Loved your pics in picasso
The photos of Saumur brought back memories of a great fortnight
with the grandchildren a few years back.
Stayed on one of the sites there and toured by day
Bastille Day celebrations were on then
very enjoyable

weez
Tony

Baggins
20-10-2009, 09:29
Beaulieu-sur-Mer

So Belgian – is this another little secret – and who is Nina?

Villa La LEONINA

This villa and it’s grounds are awesome. The man trimming the hedge in the grounds was on a double-extension ladder and still hadn’t quite made it. Among so much richness this stood out as it is immaculately kept.

The public garden next door has a wonderful collection of blue olive trees and is an oasis of calm.

Picasa Web Albums - Baggins - LEONINA (http://picasaweb.google.com/bagginsandthebear/LEONINA?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ7n4emE1t739QE#)

BW

Belgian
21-10-2009, 10:03
Loved your pics Bill,
Down to the sun and have frost :confused: Where is the warming up of the earth ?:eek:
Unfortunately I don't own Villa Leonina (altough my granddaughter also calls Nina - but she's 3 years old and doesn't own property yet :o:D)
Have a nice time overthere and keep us informed,
Yours
Leo

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS