PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos

r4dent
20-03-2019, 17:43
:danger::danger::danger:

We have just had a leak which damaged the kitchen ceiling. I contacted the insurance company and sent them a picture of the damage.

The immediately called me back and asked if the ceiling was Artex and if so was it installed before 2000.

I confirmed "yes" & "yes".

Then the bombshell..... Upto 2000 most Artex contained asbestos and they woud send a surveyor round to take samples.

The guy turned up; changed into an Xfiles outfit and took samples.
He sealed the damage and said the company would run the samples through their lab and let us know the outcome.

So if you have an Artex ceiling and it is damaged get the experts in.

Don't panic the ceiling is perfectly save so long as it isn't damaged. But don't drill or screw into it

Be careful out there !

mistericeman
20-03-2019, 18:01

We have just had a leak which damaged the kitchen ceiling. I contacted the insurance company and sent them a picture of the damage.

The immediately called me back and asked if the ceiling was Artex and if so was it installed before 2000.

Then the bombshell..... Upto 2000 most Artex contained asbestos and they woud send a surveyor round to take samples.

He sealed the damage and said the company would run the samples through their lab and let us know the outcome.

Don't panic the ceiling is perfectly save so long as it isn't damaged. But don't drill or screw into it

Be careful out there !

As a aircon engineer installing in buildings of various ages.... Your average Joe public would be scared shirtless by the amount of stuff that contains ACMs (asbestos containing materials)

Artex/floor tiles/pipe lagging/coatings/protective coatings on steelwork etc....
Pipe gasket and beyond....

Always best to be on your guard when dealing with older buildings.

Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs) | Asbestos Information Centre (https://www.aic.org.uk/list-typical-asbestos-containing-materials-acms/)

colinmd
20-03-2019, 18:19
Artex was made with asbestos until the mid 80s, anything after that was old stock. We had our house tested last year, as it had 80s Artex on couple of ceilings, ours tested negative.

harrow
20-03-2019, 18:32

Be careful out there !

Yes asbestos, wonderful stuff just don't breath in the dust.

It can be in soffits and facias, gutters, roofing, wall insulation, fire doors, lavatory cisterns, floor tiles, fuses, fuse boxes, you name it, it might be there.

runnach
20-03-2019, 19:09
Horrible stuff and way to go if infected with asbestos. Any builds after year 2000, should be asbestos free. Older commercial buildings, such as universities, should have a compiled asbestos register of the building/s, which should be referred to prior to any works commencing.

harrow
20-03-2019, 19:18
Not in the UK but will give some idea of the problems,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKqM-AhDGig

Further information can be found with our own HSE Asbestos resources - videos (http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/videos.htm)

GWAYGWAY
20-03-2019, 20:32
One of the biggest con going is the branding of Cryolite as asbestos, it is not and has never been, but it is listed on the dangerous materials containing list. Makes more money for Experts to remove with all the bull they can muster, in order to charge the highest rate possible.

mistericeman
20-03-2019, 21:13
One of the biggest con going is the branding of Cryolite as asbestos, it is not and has never been, but it is listed on the dangerous materials containing list. Makes more money for Experts to remove with all the bull they can muster, in order to charge the highest rate possible.

Possibly.... BUT look at asbestos and rock wool under a, microscope and the individual fibres are close to indistinguishable....
Won't be long till rock wool is being cast from the pedestal of wondrous insulation...

Those types of fibres are inherently nasty to breathe in.... And the effects not be seen for many years.

mistericeman
20-03-2019, 21:51

Possibly.... BUT look at asbestos and rock wool under a, microscope and the individual fibres are close to indistinguishable....
Won't be long till rock wool is being cast from the pedestal of wondrous insulation...

Those types of fibres are inherently nasty to breathe in.... And the effects not be seen for many years.

harrow
21-03-2019, 06:12

Yes I remember being told this 30 years ago and its, the irritation caused in the lungs causing, being blunt, cancer.

r4dent
15-04-2019, 11:27
Just to update you all on progress..

Plumber fixed leak (mate's rate = 10!)

Room declared Abestos free.

Two men arrived to move furniture into garage

Two more men arrived to replace ceiling and replaster

One man turned up to paint room

First two men returned to get furniture out of garage

Another guy expected this pm to re install light fittings.

Whole job took 4 elapsed weeks.

Now SWMBO says we need new curtains and light shades because .the old ones don't go with the new colour scheme:(

trevskoda
15-04-2019, 12:34
Just to update you all on progress..

Plumber fixed leak (mate's rate = 10!)

Room declared Abestos free.

Two men arrived to move furniture into garage

Two more men arrived to replace ceiling and replaster

One man turned up to paint room

First two men returned to get furniture out of garage

Another guy expected this pm to re install light fittings.

Whole job took 4 elapsed weeks.

Now SWMBO says we need new curtains and light shades because .the old ones don't go with the new colour scheme:(

You should not paint any plaster work for at least 3 mths.

channa
15-04-2019, 14:00

No idea where you got that idea but suffice to say I disagree. after the plaster has dried to the touch a couple of days and rubbed down removing any high spots the plasterer has left, It needs sizing / an undercoat, Cheap emulsion mixed 1/3 paint two parts water and cut in roller like you would normally paint a wall let it dry overnight and ready to emulsion as normal the paint will not peel.

What is more important on bare timber and many don't bother is to prevent "bleeding" knotting solution to seal should be used first, the only way around it is to use an Aluminoum oxide based primer costs a fortune so better using a knotting solution

Many of the cowboy decorators just apply more paint which is rubbish, it will still invariably bleed unles treated first

Channa

antiquesam
15-04-2019, 14:10
No idea where you got that idea but suffice to say I disagree. after the plaster has dried to the touch a couple of days and rubbed down removing any high spots the plasterer has left, It needs sizing / an undercoat, Cheap emulsion mixed 1/3 paint two parts water and cut in roller like you would normally paint a wall let it dry overnight and ready to emulsion as normal the paint will not peel.

What is more important on bare timber and many don't bother is to prevent "bleeding" knotting solution to seal should be used first, the only way around it is to use an Aluminoum oxide based primer costs a fortune so better using a knotting solution

Many of the cowboy decorators just apply more paint which is rubbish, it will still invariably bleed unles treated first

Channa

Trev's still harking back to the days when they left a new house for 6 months to dry out before letting anyone live in it. Old habits die hard over the water, but 100 years is a long time.

rockape
15-04-2019, 15:55
Read the title of the post and thought it was a question about Greek islands.

mariesnowgoose
15-04-2019, 15:59
Trev's still harking back to the days when they left a new house for 6 months to dry out before letting anyone live in it. Old habits die hard over the water, but 100 years is a long time.

:lol-061::D

mariesnowgoose
15-04-2019, 16:20
Why don't we go back to using proper sheep wool?

Got lots of the little b*gg*rs roaming around and Britain's ancient wealth was built on wool at one time.
Fleeces are worth twopence ha'penny these days.

There are outfits doing sheep wool insulation etc. out there. I guess maybe it's the logistics and cost of production that might not make it particularly feasible when matched against the new man made materials.

If it's the only scale of production that limits more widespread use, maybe we should just try a bit harder to come up with more sustainable alternatives like this when they're already right under our noses? Why do we always have to go for 'man made' when the natural world has some pretty good materials already?

Martin P
15-04-2019, 17:48
Sheeps wool seems to be a great idea. Cheap, eco friendly , natural etc but .
Family's 'dream house' ravaged by moth infestation of 'biblical proportions' | The Independent (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/moth-infestation-wool-insulation-biblical-proportions-dream-house-eco-county-londonderry-northern-a7927761.html)

mariesnowgoose
15-04-2019, 18:25
Sheeps wool seems to be a great idea. Cheap, eco friendly , natural etc but .
Family's 'dream house' ravaged by moth infestation of 'biblical proportions' | The Independent (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/moth-infestation-wool-insulation-biblical-proportions-dream-house-eco-county-londonderry-northern-a7927761.html)
Well there you go, a side line in moth balls? Two industries for the price of one! :)

Martin P
15-04-2019, 18:47
Well there you go, a side line in moth balls? Two industries for the price of one! :)

Born business woman!

trevskoda
16-04-2019, 05:48

The plaster can bubble if painted or papered to soon,plasters can leave it like a babys bum here channa and no requirement to rub back,spring is best time to plaster and then well dried by mid summer ready for sealing.
Irish builders are the best,ones on mainland served there time with wheetabix.:lol-049::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:

st3v3
16-04-2019, 06:24

Rubbish. Sometimes you'll need to go back and touch up corners with caulk and paint if it's settled and cracked, but no reason not to paint. This will depend on how much work has been done, and with what materials. Single wall skimmed? Probably fine. New extension? Probably cracks in corners.

mark61
16-04-2019, 07:10
Must have been back in the day when horse hair was bunged in the plaster. :P

trevskoda
16-04-2019, 08:15
Rubbish. Sometimes you'll need to go back and touch up corners with caulk and paint if it's settled and cracked, but no reason not to paint. This will depend on how much work has been done, and with what materials. Single wall skimmed? Probably fine. New extension? Probably cracks in corners.

No cracks with my plasterer,leaves it like a babys bum,only happens if dried out to fast in summer.
Tlaking of which i must get on with my we job,almost there now.

st3v3
16-04-2019, 10:28
No cracks with my plasterer.

Yet ;)

Never have to touch anything my guy has done either, before decs.

st3v3
16-04-2019, 10:30
Ps - i hope you're going to fill the holes in that weird brickwork at the window cill lol.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS