PDA

View Full Version : Tyres needed Best prices??

John Dough
27-09-2006, 21:12
I will need a set of tyres before next summer and would prefer NOT to use the original Michelins as very dodgy on wet roads and subject to sidewall cracking even when off the ground!!,So any good places nr. Manchester or Nth Wales for these at a good price size is : 215 x 70 x 16 would like a good make ;Continental,Uniroyal,Dunlop, got a quote in Ireland last month 100 each for Firestone.

Tnx guyz.

voxol51
13-10-2006, 16:27
Hi John,
Try ebay.
We have just bought 2 x brand new Conti vanco's for 50, + 21 for an overnight courier to bring them.
71 for 2 is far cheaper than 126 each at ATS, here in Stratford on Avon, or 76 each in Southam a few miles away. Ours are 225/70/15's.

Just enter a search for your size of tyre.

Voxy.

Graham Hadfield
08-11-2006, 12:40
Hello Voxy,

That's quite a saving - but how do you get the tyres fitted? Are you able to take your own to a fitting place?

Graham

monkeynut
10-11-2006, 13:24
the average price for fitting balancing /valve and old tyre disposel is about a tenner
I had some Yokohama geolanders 205/70-15 fitted to my alloys for my VW van for 62 each

grath
14-01-2007, 08:00
Quite happy with the michelins myself and as a trucker they have always been known as the best!:rolleyes:
Replaced 2 michelins 2 years ago & another a year ago. Both with new Michelins.
When last years were replaced they were a little different as they had been modified but are compatable.
JUST ADDED. I beleive that michelin are the only tyre manufacturer that design & make a tyre exclusivley for motorhomes. I also understand that the sidewalls on these tyres are different ( softer to give a better ride) than their van tyres.
I must note that all replacements were carried out on age as they were not worn out. (sold these on ebay)
I am very fussy with my tyres, no kerbing etc as I have seen what can happen with neglection.
ps: I have no affiliation to michelin.

Although I have said all of the above I must state that these tyres are expensive. (around 130 each) and when I next need tyres I probably will not be working & I may give lower price van tyres a try.
regards graham

Davy
14-01-2007, 22:26
Try costco f your a member they are supposed to be very competitive:)

Admin
15-01-2007, 00:23
Try costco f your a member they are supposed to be very competitive:)

costco are good and I believe they have a 20% off coupon soon. Costco sell michelin tyres cheaper than UK distributors can buy them in for!

voxol51
27-01-2007, 14:37
I beleive that michelin are the only tyre manufacturer that design & make a tyre exclusivley for motorhomes. I also understand that the sidewalls on these tyres are different ( softer to give a better ride) than their van tyres.

Could this be the reason for John Dough's findings about cracking side walls?

I also was a trucker, and on my truck (the gaffa's truck) he swore by michelins, but that was for the high mileage I got out of them as well as grip.
Now I'm retired I can't see me doing 80,000 miles a year in the motorhome!!! So the motorhome tyres are a different kettle of fish - they will perish long before they reach the mileage the truck did.

I have seen various tyres being tested. Although Michelin camper tyres did more miles before running out of tread than the vanco tyre, in the wet from 60mph, the vanco stopped 20 yards shorter than the michelin.
Now that is 3 motorhome lengths........
So I know which tyres I prefer

Voxy

grath
27-01-2007, 14:56
Hi Voxol51.
I was also told that the ordinary van tyre side walls were harder as they were expected to be kerbed many more times. They had to stand this daily abuse.
Now as u well know (as an ex trucker) that is bad practice!
Neverless, as I said earlier, maybe I will buy cheaper tyres when I am retired.
regards graham;)

GARY ENGLISH
01-02-2007, 09:24
Read a piece recently in mmm,about rubber valves splitting due to the high pressure. Has anyone had any similar problem ,or have you got metal ones.

virgil
01-02-2007, 10:09
Read a piece recently in mmm,about rubber valves splitting due to the high pressure. Has anyone had any similar problem ,or have you got metal ones.

Thought I remembered a previous thread about valves... This may help?
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=754&highlight=valves

clarkpeacock
01-02-2007, 11:01
Personally I will only use Michelin Camping XC on my van. A few years back I fitted Firestone to front (drive) wheels saving about 50 each on the Michelin but they delaminated after only 5000 miles, coming up in lumps that gave a very bumpy ride back from Venice that year!

The current van is coming up on 5 years old, 35,000 miles, and still has the original XCs on with loads of wear left. I might have to change them due to age before they wear out. (6 wheels at about 130 each - ouch....)

grath
01-02-2007, 16:55
Hi Gary, I read the same piece. I have metal ones on my van so I am ok (jack)
Think it may depend on pressure as high pressure requires metal valves.

grath
01-02-2007, 16:58
Hi clarkepeacock,
I replaced my XCs & sold the old ones on ebay as previously stated

Davy
09-02-2007, 16:31
Costco currently have the 20% off deal on tyres at the moment but you must buy 4 to get the discount offer ends on the 19th of feb

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS