PDA

View Full Version : Sandsend/Skinningrove/Saltburn

Teffy
26-10-2009, 09:21
Just spent our very first night ever camping out in our new if rather elderly motorhome. We headed for Sandsend as some people had said you could stay there but all we saw were signs saying no sleeping in vehicles. We then tried Skinningrove,which someone else had recommended, but by then it was dark and we couldn't see where to go - precise directions please! So we ended up in Saltburn and spent the night with no trouble at all in a big carpark on the front. This morning we had a great walk with the dogs in the Valley Gardens just next to the carpark. The only thing I would mention is that quite a few boy racers use the carpark in the late evening and are rather noisy. Looking forward to finding somewhere else next weekend!

derekfaeberwick
26-10-2009, 09:54
Firstly welcome to the site from myself and The Burnip (see the avatar), glad your first trip went well. I'm sure you will always remember it fondly.

Regards Derek and The Burnip.:)

Telstar
26-10-2009, 11:32
Hi, welcome to the site. Glad you found somewhere in the end. Don't give up, its amazing how many places you identify during the day but cannot spot in the dark. Although it does have its benefits arriving in the dark and moving on first thing. Nobody knows you've been that way.

Jon

Tigatigatiger
26-10-2009, 12:23
Just spent our very first night ever camping out in our new if rather elderly motorhome. We headed for Sandsend as some people had said you could stay there but all we saw were signs saying no sleeping in vehicles. We then tried Skinningrove,which someone else had recommended, but by then it was dark and we couldn't see where to go - precise directions please! So we ended up in Saltburn and spent the night with no trouble at all in a big carpark on the front. This morning we had a great walk with the dogs in the Valley Gardens just next to the carpark. The only thing I would mention is that quite a few boy racers use the carpark in the late evening and are rather noisy. Looking forward to finding somewhere else next weekend!

Coming from that part of the world......My brother lives in Saltburn in one of those posh houses over looking the Valley Garden (he's the weathy one of the family? or jsut has huge mortgage?). His wife works at special school in Skinningrove..............

Skinningrove (Skinny)? not sure I would be parking up there? Strange place....

Also never be tempted to park up on the car park close to the pier in Saltburn, especially if the sea is a little rough-all them rocks on the beach end up in the carpark or your car!

Paula

Guernsey Donkey
26-10-2009, 13:10

Hi Teffy and welcome to the site. I can well remember our first night wildcamping it was at "Holm-next-the sea" and we parked up on a carpark on the headland - it was brill, in the morning we noticed another van had parked on lower ground ahead of us and the mrs was having her breakfast as was we out in the sun looking out to sea, the tide was on the make and we watched it comming in closer and closer - it came higher and higher untill not only was she sitting in the water but by now the water was halfway up the hubcaps - she franticaly woke her partner up and they moved the van to higher ground. They arrived late evening in the dark and didnt see the sign "BEWARE OF HIGH TIDES" so the moto is - beware of parking up at night in the dark if in a strange place.

John
(Guernsey Donkey)

Pics:http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/photo-gallery/7168-western-isles.html

Info:http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/scotland/5607-isle-lewis-isle-harris-western-isles.html

wilthebeast
26-10-2009, 18:46
HI TEFFY.
You can park at sandsend on the cliff top We have stoped there plenty of times no problems and last time we were there there were no sings saying no overnight sleeping, just wondering where abouts you were when you wanted to stop.
regards keith.

Teffy
27-10-2009, 11:22
Thank you - we were near the sea at Sandsend so obviously in the wrong place. Will probably have another look another day, we like Sandsend.

Old_Arthur
27-10-2009, 11:29
you do park near the sea on your right just as you approach sandsend :)never been bothered parking there:p

wilthebeast
27-10-2009, 19:44
Thats the spot Arthur ,
Always vans parked there and no probs.

dellwood33
27-10-2009, 22:17
Is that approaching Sandsend from the South ?

Old_Arthur
28-10-2009, 05:36
Is that approaching Sandsend from the South ?
correct :)i bet you worked that out because i said the sea is on your right:rolleyes::Dsorry about that we usally creep in after spending the day in whitby

johnnerontheroad
12-02-2010, 13:12
Could anyone tell me is this the overnight at Sandsend?

Dave

channa
12-02-2010, 15:25
tis a grit yard I think you will find...Continue on your map North ...you will see parking to the right .....midway is a toilet block on the left side which i have seen people use.

Forget the carpark right at the end, it has a height limit.

The parking lane coast side I believe is no overnighting but peeps seem to get away with it ....moreso this time of year before |Easter.

Channa

martyn
04-04-2010, 21:18
went passed there last night, 3 campers on the grit placement above the cliff as you approach from the south.
I went into the car park in sandsend, under the height restriction arch(I have a bongo) and spent the night there (was disturbed by youth in a car blowing their horn 15 times at half past midnight and then he / she left --- what fun do they get out of this anti social behaviour ?). otherwise a good night.

fayona
08-10-2010, 23:19
hiya we stayed at sandsend pay and display car park on the sea front in may this year.didnt see any overnight signs did have police drive around car park but they didnt stop or approach us and we did buy a 24hr ticket for 5..nice quiet night and a lovely sea view in the morning

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS