PDA

View Full Version : Loch Sunart

Badgerpig
28-09-2006, 09:55
Hi, head for Fort William on the A82 and take the Corran ferry (quite reasonably priced compared to island ferries) then head west on the A861 towards Strontian and the Ardnamurchan peninsula, there are hundreds of laybys & parking areas to choose from in this area although some are passing places so choose wisely. This really is a beautiful, unspoilt part of the west coast. Ive holidayed(?) every year in Scotland for the last 25 years and alot of my old favourite haunts (loch long, loch fyne, loch awe) seem to have gone into decline and become spoiled with rubbish, pollution or unsympathetic councils banning wild camping but the Ardnamurchan peninsula is wonderful, the wildlife is amazing, we saw porpoises, seals, ospreys, buzzards, otters and baskin sharks all in a week!!!! The fishing is great too if thats your bag, we caught sea trout, mackerel and coalfish in the loch.
One thing to take into consideration is alot of the roads are single track (hence the amount of laybys) and quite narrow so maybe tricky for bigger vehicles, the fact the roads are narrow seems to contribute to the isolated feel as travelling anywhere takes alot longer than motorway or main road style driving so you dont seem to get many day trippers. the shops arent always open so ensure provisions are stowed;) but this is in my opinion one of the true wildernesses left in the UK and well worth a visit. :D

swingsandroundabouts
26-07-2007, 21:24
stayed for 2 nights in a lovely picnic spot 1.5 miles out of Salen on the left handside travelling towards Kilchoan . Had a free supper of fresh mussels collected from the shore.There is a fresh water stream to top up water tanks.(we only drink bottled water or water from our onboard containers where we have filled up from reliable drinking water sources)
If you like a walk there is a pub in the village that does meals. Very nice friendly welcome, in fact all locals that passed us had a cheery wave.
Up until this site all other ones we passed from Stontian had 'No overnight parking' signs. In the village of Strontian there were a couple of 'traveller' caravans with lots of rubbish outside disregarding the signs:( . Gives us lot a bad name:mad: .

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l93/swingsandroundabouts/ScotlandJune2007inthemotorhome017.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l93/swingsandroundabouts/ScotlandJune2007inthemotorhome026.jpg

autosleeper
27-07-2007, 11:25
stayed for 2 nights in a lovely picnic spot 1.5 miles out of Salen on the left handside travelling towards Kilchoan . Had a free supper of fresh mussels collected from the shore.There is a fresh water stream to top up water tanks.(we only drink bottled water or water from our onboard containers where we have filled up from reliable drinking water sources)
If you like a walk there is a pub in the village that does meals. Very nice friendly welcome, in fact all locals that passed us had a cheery wave.
Up until this site all other ones we passed from Stontian had 'No overnight parking' signs. In the village of Strontian there were a couple of 'traveller' caravans with lots of rubbish outside disregarding the signs:( . Gives us lot a bad name:mad: .

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l93/swingsandroundabouts/ScotlandJune2007inthemotorhome017.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l93/swingsandroundabouts/ScotlandJune2007inthemotorhome026.jpg
Thank you swingsandroundabouts for that one. We have friends in Lochaline, who we intend to visit shortly, & were then intending to carry on up to Artoe & Glenelg. This would be a fantastic stopping off point. Judi.

sagart
29-07-2007, 17:31
Another area is between Salen and Strontian...signed Ardery Wood. Coming from Salen, the first area on the right is signed for blue badge users only and is regularly checked. About half a mile further on, again on the right from Salen, there is a large area in the trees. It is possible easily to walk from there to the bird hide over the loch - all is clearly signed.
Off to Mull next week via Mallaig & Kilchoan...

autosleeper
29-07-2007, 20:07
Another area is between Salen and Strontian...signed Ardery Wood. Coming from Salen, the first area on the right is signed for blue badge users only and is regularly checked. About half a mile further on, again on the right from Salen, there is a large area in the trees. It is possible easily to walk from there to the bird hide over the loch - all is clearly signed.
Off to Mull next week via Mallaig & Kilchoan...
Thanks Sagart. another one to try shortly. best of luck on the Isle of Mull. don't forget about calgarry bay, a beautiful free wild camping site. also the shores round loch na keal, south shore especially. and the un named road from Aros to Dervaig, yealds some lovely stopping off points. & you might even see a sea eagle.

sagart
29-07-2007, 21:16
Thanks Sagart. another one to try shortly. best of luck on the Isle of Mull. you might even see a sea eagle.
Tend to keep it quiet, but we see them regularly here...in fact one is so "tame" my wife and I got within 30 feet of it before it bothered to take off over the cliff edge

christine
29-07-2007, 21:21
Sagart, we free camped at Kilchoan close to the ferry slipway. Don't bother with the carpark, better to be on the quay. I must admit the midges were bad though.
Have you looked at my Mull page on Virtual Tourist? Absolutely brilliant holiday.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/87f23/4b3a6/

swingsandroundabouts
29-07-2007, 21:22
we saw a tagged Sea Eagle when we were camped at the site I mentioned above. It lives on Mull and has been nicknamed 'Haggis' By the local school children, or so the RSPB guy told us at the living centre near to Glenborrowdale. We tourists will believe anything ;) :p

sagart
30-07-2007, 08:31
Sagart, we free camped at Kilchoan close to the ferry slipway. Don't bother with the carpark, better to be on the quay. I must admit the midges were bad though.
Have you looked at my Mull page on Virtual Tourist? Absolutely brilliant holiday.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/87f23/4b3a6/
Great...thanks for the reference, it was well worth the look!
Actually off this pm. to overnight near Armadale and catch the first ferry to Mallaig. Kilchoan Wednesday, then time on Mull...back Fishnish to Lochaline, through Mallaig and back to Skye on the 9th.
Great thing is that this counts as work as well, so my expenses are covered, which with Calmac's fares is a great bonus!

christine
30-07-2007, 10:19
Sound like you have a dreadful job!!! Enjoy your working trip, we are off to Wester Ross nex week.

alanval
30-07-2007, 12:40
Great...thanks for the reference, it was well worth the look!
Actually off this pm. to overnight near Armadale and catch the first ferry to Mallaig. Kilchoan Wednesday, then time on Mull...back Fishnish to Lochaline, through Mallaig and back to Skye on the 9th.
Great thing is that this counts as work as well, so my expenses are covered, which with Calmac's fares is a great bonus!

We have free travel with Calmac.courtesy of BR...........

Val

sagart
13-08-2007, 19:30
We have free travel with Calmac.courtesy of BR...........

Val
So when we have rail problems and work to rules up here, it's cause you're really away boating?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS