PDA

View Full Version : What currency to take

GillRuss
27-10-2009, 02:53
Shortly going to France, Algarve and Spain for some 11 weeks - what is the best way to pay for things, should I take currency, travellers cheques, pay by credit card/debit card - I dont know. Please give me some advice !!!!:confused:

channa
27-10-2009, 06:02
I use a debit card on cash machines and are charged £2.50 normally per the transaction.

I never make small purchases with either card.

It is worth xhecking what exchange rate you get with your bank on both cards, sometimes with a credit card it is a better rate...i.e commercial rate not tourist.

Has for travellers cheques never bother with them.

Channa

vindiboy
27-10-2009, 06:43
NATIONWIDE cards are best for me NO CHARGES for use either in shops or cash machines ,only the difference in the exchange rate but on checking my statements after my travels I am always pleased with the rates of exchange Nationwide use. We withdraw about 250 euros from the cash machine as needed and use the card for shopping and Diesel as required and the cards [ VISA ] work in automatic petrol pump situations. I was with Lloyds bank for forty years but cancelled all my accounts with them because of the charges to use cards in Europe that they imposed.;););)

alanval
27-10-2009, 07:12
We just opened a credit card account with Nationwide just to get the better exchange rate .
We usually use Saga for drawing cash no charge.We just set up standing order to Saga before we leave then our account is getting paid while we are away no big bills when we get back...And we can go to online account to keep an eye on it while away and transfer more into it if we need to.

This is just getting me in the mood, we are away 1st Dec for 5 months to ~Portugal ...weather lovely there just now .......
val

miller
27-10-2009, 07:38
Best by far what we recently discovered was the CaxtonFx Euro Card!

Pre load Euros onto the card before you leave, so you control what you spend. There are no transaction fees at all, for either spending or loading the card. Currency rates are pretty good too. It can all be done online, direct funds transfer from your own banl account.

Its the equivalent of having a European Bank account and your own visa.

Oh did i mention its backed by Visa so everywhere accepts it. We used ours extensivley through France/Italy/Croatia/Hungary/Slovakia/Czech Republic/Germany

Oh and you can also get a Dollar card too if your going to far flung places too!

Caxton FX - Foreign exchange, Currency transfer (http://www.caxtonfx.com/)

suej
27-10-2009, 09:02
Like Vindiboy we use a Nationwide debit card when abroad for cash withdrawals, fuel, food etc and have had no problems. Nationwide continue not to make a charge for transactions in Europe but are now charging in other countries. So it's as well to check which ones are still free.
Sue

webbiesadventure
27-10-2009, 09:14
NATIONWIDE cards are best for me NO CHARGES for use either in shops or cash machines ,only the difference in the exchange rate but on checking my statements after my travels I am always pleased with the rates of exchange Nationwide use. We withdraw about 250 euros from the cash machine as needed and use the card for shopping and Diesel as required and the cards [ VISA ] work in automatic petrol pump situations. I was with Lloyds bank for forty years but cancelled all my accounts with them because of the charges to use cards in Europe that they imposed.;););)

I always use Nationwide as well as far as I know they are the only ones who don't charge you. Webbies adventures

petercheason
27-10-2009, 12:52
I have always used Nationwide abroad , even when I lived in Spain for a few years , I have used it widely across europe and have always had no charges and the best available exchange rate .

Belgian
27-10-2009, 18:53
Hi,
Of course I don't have to deal with currency charges here in the €-zone.
I pay with Visa for petrol, supermarkets everywhere in the € -zone... without any charges. When I have in a supermarket (wherever) a note of e.g. 35 €, I ask the cashier to round it to 50 €, and I got 15 € in cash back, without any costs :). When I take money out of the wall with Visa, they charge me with costs ! :eek: ( but not with my ordinary bank-card !:confused:)
My advise: pay with a credit-card (Visa....) in shops, supermarkets, petrol stations .... and ask cash there; don't use cash machines. I do the same in non-€ countries (Danmark, Sweden, Norway) without any problems.
Ch€€rs, good £uck ;)
Leo

GillRuss
28-10-2009, 07:39
you Belgian, are an absolute star - no way did I ever think of Cash Back at the supermarkets - thank you -

Pioneer
28-10-2009, 08:29
Hi,
Of course I don't have to deal with currency charges here in the €-zone.
I pay with Visa for petrol, supermarkets everywhere in the € -zone... without any charges. When I have in a supermarket (wherever) a note of e.g. 35 €, I ask the cashier to round it to 50 €, and I got 15 € in cash back, without any costs :). When I take money out of the wall with Visa, they charge me with costs ! :eek: ( but not with my ordinary bank-card !:confused:)
My advise: pay with a credit-card (Visa....) in shops, supermarkets, petrol stations .... and ask cash there; don't use cash machines. I do the same in non-€ countries (Danmark, Sweden, Norway) without any problems.
Ch€€rs, good £uck ;)
Leo

We use a Nationwide Debit(Visa) card this way, laughing all the way to the Bank. Saves pounds on a long trip.:cool:

Happy Camping:)

johnnerontheroad
28-10-2009, 13:55
Have a look at this link it may help you Cheap Travel Money: Pick the right plastic to spend abroad... (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money)

Dave

John H
29-10-2009, 12:25
If you get a Nationwide Debit Card, there is no charge - you get whatever the exchange rate is for that day. It is not worth changing cash because those so-called no-commission organisations are actually charging you anything up to 10% (Thomas Cook's so-called no-commission rate charges you at least 3%!). Most debit cards charge for ATM use but Nationwide do not. On the other hand, even the worst rates charged by banks for using cards are better than changing cash.

Further, some ATM machines give you the option of being charged in local currency or in sterling. ALWAYS choose local currency or you will be charged an unfavourable exchange rate.

gaynorjane
29-10-2009, 12:47
Have a look at www.martinsmoneytips.co.uk he has some really good advice on cheap preloaded cards.
I have just come back from France and we used cash most places (only went for short time)..but we were warned to beware of high exchange rates when using cards abroad, they are quite high.

After some research I think our next move will be a pre loaded..but Thanks Belgian, I would never of thought of cash back :rolleyes:

John H
29-10-2009, 13:00
but we were warned to beware of high exchange rates when using cards abroad, they are quite high.

Charges can be very high on Credit Cards but, as I said above, they are zero in Europe on a Nationwide Debit Card.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS