PDA

View Full Version : Pendle Hill

Badgerpig
28-09-2006, 10:34
Beatiful spot up on the moors, from the A59 near Clitheroe take the road over the hill to Sabden theres a pub//restaurant at the top of the hill with loos, plenty of laybyes to choose from, fantastic birds eye view of the Ribble Valley. Weve camped here lots of times with no bother:cool: watch out for the Pendle witches tho:eek:

monkeynut
02-01-2007, 20:19
Just noticed your posting :0 I know the place well, a cracking spot i bet you meen the layby just before the restaruant/ski slope rather than just over the summit :)

double decker
02-01-2007, 21:17
Hi Badgerpig,I know the place very well,Wellsprings is what the Pub used to be called, dont know what its name is now,there are quite a few places around Pendle that are suitable for Overnighting,Barley,Newchurch,Roughlee,Pub here called The Bay Horse,for a good feed,there is a nice little car park in Barley village and the Pub Pendle Inn I do belive,the whole area is worth a few days look see,Gerry.

snowgoose
03-01-2007, 23:43
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][/F Glad you have enjoyed Pendle Hill, as I look out of my back bedroom window I can see it,locally it's thought if you can see it it is going to rain if you canny see it it is raining.
Snowgoose.;)

rogerangie
05-01-2007, 17:31
Go for it. We camped at the CCC site at Clitheroe and some one STOLE our hook up lead. Unbelievable!

wolfram
21-10-2008, 17:44
Hi guys can you tell me if it is still good to overnight in the places you have stated above ... thanks.

messenger 2.5td
21-10-2008, 19:15
Sounds okay haven't stayed here myself Monkeynut is local to the area so his recomendation must be correct,just watch you don't get grabbed by the warlocks:pAndy.

mandrake
21-10-2008, 21:54
pendle hill a great venue for a halloween overnighter :D:D

wolfram
22-10-2008, 07:41
TA ... its just that I had heard that your not allowed into certain areas with transport at Halloween oh Samhain as I call it pronounced sowain this outing was mooted before we realised the date ;)

Pioneer
23-10-2008, 09:13
Sounds a nice spot, although a Lancs Lad I have never been to Pendle Hill, been close to it but never on it. I even have a painting of it in our lounge! A view from the Ribble Valley. Will go one day I'm sure.

Happy Camping:)

wolfram
23-10-2008, 16:59
BUM ... will have to go another time as I just found this

THOUSANDS of visitors face being turned away from Pendle Hill this Hallowe’en because of concerns over safety.

Cars will be banned from parking on the hill on Friday, October 31, from 5pm to 3am, and popular fairground rides and mobile catering units which have headed for the area in recent years will also be turned away.

Pendle Hill has become a hotspot at Hallowe’en attracting thousands of visitors from across the region.

But concerns over the size of the event, traffic problems, the health and safety of pedestrians and alcohol related issues have prompted the measures to be brought in.

Chairman of the Event Safety Advisory Group, Ribble Valley Council emergency planning officer Chris Shuttleworth, said: “Pendle Hill now attracts thousands of visitors in the mistaken belief that an official event is taking place.

“Over the past two years, the event has become progressively worse in its atmosphere and behaviour.

“The new measures have been brought into place for reasons of health and safety, welfare, law and order, and we are asking for the cooperation of the general public.”

The Event Safety Advisory Group comprises Ribble Valley Borough Council, Lancashire Constabulary, Lancashire Highways, the Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service, Lancashire Ambulance Service, Lancashire Countryside Service and the Health and Safety Executive.

Inspector Jenny Coulston, of Ribble Valley Police, added: “It has been necessary to take this action to ensure safety on Pendle Hill at Hallowe’en.”

Motorists heading for Pendle Hill via the A59 will not be allowed to stop until they reach Sabden, where they will be allowed to park and walk up the hill.

Pendle Hill will be closed to all traffic travelling from Sabden and access to the Wellsprings Inn at the Nick o’ Pendle will be by ticket only.

Traffic coming into Sabden via Whalley Road from the direction of Whalley or Accrington will have to exit the village via Padiham Road in the direction of Black or White Hill, or park their car and walk up Pendle Hill.

Traffic coming into Sabden via Black or White Hill from the direction of Padiham, Burnley, the M65, or M66, will have to exit the village via Whalley Road, or park and walk up Pendle Hill.
Print article » Emai

mandrake
23-10-2008, 20:55
TA ... its just that I had heard that your not allowed into certain areas with transport at Halloween oh Samhain as I call it pronounced sowain this outing was mooted before we realised the date ;)
you will be ok with a broomstick witch reminds me will have to get the wife a new one she has worn the last one out :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

Belgian
23-10-2008, 21:02
you will be ok with a broomstick witch reminds me will have to get the wife a new one she has worn the last one out :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D
Broomstick flying can be dangerous especially the landing :D

mandrake
23-10-2008, 21:19
yes it helps if you stand up on landing as the twigs on the broom can play havock with the undercarriage :eek::eek::D:D and if the cat on the back slides forward and you are not ready those claws can be deadly

jenspen
24-10-2008, 20:35
Hiya If you travel along the A59 from Chatburn just past the turn off to Worston there is a turn off to the right towards Clitheroe. Turn off there and the old road runs alongside the A59. We have stayed there overnight when in the area. Also a couple of spots around Roughlee. Jen

rach82
20-06-2009, 09:51
Hi everybody - I live in Sabden - just below Pendle Hill.

I drive over the nick o pendle everyday to go to work (at 3.30 in the morning!) and most weekends there is a motorhome/camper parked in one of the many laybys. I don't think anyone ever gets any problems.

The restaurant you were talking about 'The Wellsprings' is a now a Mexican, they have some good midweek offers on too, and it's good but a bit pricey if you were paying full

Two good pubs in the village (Sabden) 'The white Hart Inn' and the 'Pendle Witch - both serve real ales(We prefare the White Hart). A nice walk down to the pubs from the laybys but you may struggle getting back up after a few pints!!

Please do conatct me if you would like any information on walks in the area - or anything else I may be able to help you with

Rachel

rach82
17-09-2009, 18:44
Hi Everyone

Just wandered if any of you good people have stayed here recently? I keep seeing lots of MH & CV at the moment and keep thinking it may be someone off the site???:confused:

I could pop in for brekki (at 3.30m) - only joking:

If you would like any info let me know:)

wilsy
19-09-2009, 10:14
Im thinking of staying over either in or near Sabden either tonight or tomorrow. Is there anywhere suitable actually in the village itself?

rach82
19-09-2009, 11:10
Hi Wilsy,

There is a village P&D carpark which has no 'no overnight' signs - although I don't think you have to pay after 5pm??? Not very private though and also near the play park:eek: It depends what you are after:confused:
But it's just across from the pub:D:D

Alternativley for a close spot- head out of the village up towards the nick o pendle and about 100 yards after the last house on your right there is a large tarmaced parking area, shouldn't see a problem using that?

All other spots are a little further out and up onto pendle

Hope this helps:)

wilsy
19-09-2009, 12:00
Hi Wilsy,

There is a village P&D carpark which has no 'no overnight' signs - although I don't think you have to pay after 5pm??? Not very private though and also near the play park:eek: It depends what you are after:confused:
But it's just across from the pub:D:D

Alternativley for a close spot- head out of the village up towards the nick o pendle and about 100 yards after the last house on your right there is a large tarmaced parking area, shouldn't see a problem using that?

All other spots are a little further out and up onto pendle

Hope this helps:)

Thanks Rach, this is really helpful!

There's some kind of fun day on at the White Hart pub so might just roll on up there in the camper.

rach82
19-09-2009, 12:39
Thanks Rach, this is really helpful!

There's some kind of fun day on at the White Hart pub so might just roll on up there in the camper.

Well I would say the Car park is your best bet then:D:D Not too far to stagger home:confused::eek::D

The White Hart is our fav out of the two in Sabden, although I have heard the Witch has improved since been taken over?

Have a great night - didn't know there was anything on tonight?:mad:

taxi irene
04-03-2010, 19:35
Was on Pendle Hill Sunday just gone intending to overnight there. Warden came along & asked us to move as there is no overnight parking on the hill, went back down the hill to a small layby just after the cattle crossing on left, & parked there no problem.

tommywelly
25-04-2010, 17:29
Beatiful spot up on the moors, from the A59 near Clitheroe take the road over the hill to Sabden theres a pub//restaurant at the top of the hill with loos, plenty of laybyes to choose from, fantastic birds eye view of the Ribble Valley. Weve camped here lots of times with no bother:cool: watch out for the Pendle witches tho:eek:

We were there in March just past the pub and we were moved on by the Ranger No Campiing on Pendle Hill he said but we could camp lower down the hill just across the cattle grid.
Tommywelly

daleuk
17-08-2010, 09:43
Hey guys,

were thinking of heading to Pendle Hill... is it possible to wild camp there? or do you always get moved on by a ranger?

Were not in a motorhome, just a car and a tent :-)

Any help appreciated!

Dale

Ste
18-05-2011, 19:38
Head away from Pendle through Sabden. As you leave the village the right hand fork is easier for large vans. But either will do in a small one. Quarter mile you reach a ridge and junction with a road running along it between the two roads (53.825925,-2.328777) is an open CP with view of Pendle Hill. No signage. There's also another CP 100yrd east but with height bar.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS