PDA

View Full Version : live music & free camping in devon

duncananderson
02-11-2009, 21:46
Hi Portsmouth Arms calling. would like to invite all wild campers for free camping.
situated on the a377, 40 miles north of exeter, 12 miles south of barnstaple.

Jocko
03-11-2009, 13:26
Anyone who is using freebird conversions for camper tinkering simply must stay at the portsmouth arms with Dee and Andy. I had such warm welcome there. After camping in the car park, i drove 1 mile to freebird and they dropped me back at the pub for my full english breakfast. With bus links to barnstable. Great place to kill some time. Back to freebird at 5 then some eats at pub before drive home. Wish i was closer for the music nights. I'll definately visit again. Thanks again Dee.
Jocko

duncananderson
23-11-2009, 21:22
hi jocko, hope mrs j liked the new seats,
dee at "the port"THE PORTSMOUTH ARMS HOTEL,DEVON Home - THE PORTSMOUTH ARMS HOTEL,DEVON (http://theportsmoutharmshotel.wetpaint.com)

tonygel
04-12-2009, 15:24
Hi all. New to this site but would be very interested in the get together near Barnstable.
Could you give a few more details as we will be coming from Southend. I take it that, the Portsmouth Arms is a Pub on the A377. ?
What time would we all get there? Many thanks tonygel

grath
04-12-2009, 15:30
Portsmouth Arms:confused: an unusual name for a pub in Devon:confused:

tonygel
04-12-2009, 15:33
Hi all. We are new to this site but we would be very interested in the meet up at 'The Portsmouth Arms' I take it that this is a Pub on the A377.:p Are we camping in the Pub car park? What time are we meeting up?
I don't want to get it wrong as i am coming from Southend. tonygel

biggirafe
04-12-2009, 15:50
Hi all. We are new to this site but we would be very interested in the meet up at 'The Portsmouth Arms' I take it that this is a Pub on the A377.:p Are we camping in the Pub car park? What time are we meeting up?
I don't want to get it wrong as i am coming from Southend. tonygel

Hi Tony
I'm not sure there is an organised meet at the pub, Its a great pub and they often publish things that are happening such as this music night. if you go you will get a warm welcome.

The next organised (if thats the word) is in this thread there are also some threads about new year.
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-meets-gatherings/7782-xmas-thought.html
:)

duncananderson
04-12-2009, 20:56
in answer to grath`s comment is yes "the portsmouth arms" is an odd name for a pub in devon. in the 1700`s the Fellowes family owned a huge estate and lands around here. through marriage they became the earls of portsmouth. in 1840 the 4th earl had the toll road (now the a377) built because he was an expert coachman and loved to drive his coach and four from pub to pub!!!! bet he didnt have to blow in a bag!!!!!!
the 5th earl was called Isaac Newton Wallop (changed his name from Fellowes
to Wallop in order to inherit the title?) great name.i have a really good portrait of him( just like mr darcy come on girls ooooh). he rebuilt the big house at eggesford in 1854. it was a magnificent mansion with 30 bedrooms and as many servant bedrooms. charles kingsley and parson jack russell were amoung the regular house guests.
wallop died in 1891. i am told that whole estate, 3,277 acres, was lost in a card game in 1913. prisoners of war were housed in the mansion in 1914 /18 war after which the house became a ruin.
this is only a small part of the portsmouth arms story, i will tell you more if you ever come to visit.

the happy campers
31-12-2009, 14:32
can any one tell me the post code of the portsmouth arms

biggirafe
31-12-2009, 15:20
can any one tell me the post code of the portsmouth arms

The Portsmouth Arms

Portsmouth Arms
Burrington
Umberleigh
Devon
EX37 9ND

Tel: 01769 561117

colpot
03-01-2010, 20:34
Just got back from a couple of Nights at the Portsmouth Arms. We had really good food both nights (as Dee told us - Devon Farmers Portions!)
Sat Nav took us the scenic route - not for the faint hearted - Andy recommends taking the A361 to South Molton and then cross to Umberleigh and down A377. Unfortunately the A361 was shut on Saturday so we had to brave the scenic route again, but coming home today it was back open.
Looking forward to visiting again in the Summer.

duncananderson
13-02-2010, 12:41
thanks for your kind words colpot. look forward to seeing you again sometime. cheers dee

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS