PDA

View Full Version : Leisure Battery in Dieppe?

Fyre Faery
11-11-2009, 19:14
We have had a crazy 3 days puting on a solar panel... the whole van needed re-wiring... anyway we are off to Dieppe at 4am... does anyone know where I can pick up a good leisure battery for the van around there??

rickboy
12-11-2009, 16:18
:)
We have had a crazy 3 days puting on a solar panel... the whole van needed re-wiring... anyway we are off to Dieppe at 4am... does anyone know where I can pick up a good leisure battery for the van around there??

Most batteries are more expensive in France than the U.K. SORRY!!!

They are called a batterie auxiliare.

Hypermarkets stock them and car accessory shops next to hypermarkets
and motorfactors , motorhomes (campingcars in French) are more common than in the U.K. Also you could try a boat chandlers.

You could try a scrap yard for a cheap 2nd hand diesel starter battery to tide you over untill you return (that should test your French !!) Make sure you test it with a multimetre first to make sure it hasn no dead cells.It will charge best from a mains charger first time.I am not a fan of solar in the darker winter months,all thoes people who have spent loads on it will disagree I am sure,but they would.

Good luck and happy motorhoming.

Belgian
12-11-2009, 18:49
I put this in the other topic:
Hi, consider this
If your leisure battery as the same dimensions as a starter battery; go for an ordinary starter battery (much cheaper)
I have this first hand from a battery manufacturer:
Leisures have thicker led plates and can stand a lower discharge. However thicker plates have a greater volume. They use to put a sticker "leisure" on a starter battery and sell it dearer
If you have solarcells a good battery will barely not discharge below 12 V; so a starter batt will be as good for the purpose. (my leisure is a starter and still goes along for 5 years !)
Have a good trip

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS