PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow

tattie22
30-11-2009, 12:35
Does anyone know of anywhere within 10-15 miles of Glasgow for a "safe" overnighter?
I know Glasgow fairly well but can't think of anywhere within the city that I'd feel comfortable especially since we are thinking of a Friday night.

suej
30-11-2009, 12:42
We've overnighted a couple of times at New Lanark which isn't far from Glasgow. It's a world heritage place. Plenty of parking places and an interesting place to visit. :)

tattie22
30-11-2009, 12:54
Thanks suej but a wee bit further away than I'm looking for. We need to be in city centre for around 9:30am so need to be a bit nearer

bevdrew
30-11-2009, 13:29
There's this campsite, not far away

Welcome to GoLive CyberStudio 3 (http://www.craigendmuir.co.uk/New%20Pages/facilitiesframe.html)

derekfaeberwick
30-11-2009, 14:55
Hi, there's plenty places in the industrial estates around Cumbernauld that would do for an overnighter, some in quite pleasant surroundings believe it or not.

try here.Untitled - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=55.927615,-4.045458&spn=0.022648,0.077162&z=14&msid=113781966438834585973.00047998d321bb0dbe3b0) Deerdykes View, it's O.K.

GadgetUK437
26-07-2010, 08:39
(SL)Easyjet has just bumped us from a Saturday morning arrival at Glasgow International to this Friday night... :eek:
We can still pick up our van, but at 10pm! So, no campsites are willing to let us in at that time of night (I checked).

We are travelling up the west coast, but I was hoping to stock up with vittles at the Bridgewater Shopping Centre, Erskine before heading into the wilds. So, I've been hunting for a corner to hide for the night, where we won't rile the natives.

I guess the obvious choice is the Shopping Centre itself. Other choices are the Sports Centre next door or the small park opposite. Or there's an office block (former AA HQ) and industrial unit near the Erskine Bridge Hotel.

Going farther afield, there's the India of Inchinnan Business Park, a few possibilities up there (too close to the airport for a good night's sleep?). Or we could head up the A8 Greenock Road, looks like spots at Ferryhill, Parklea and Kelburn Park, all beside the A8.

So, do you have any opinions on any of those.
I do love Google Earth Streetview, but it's no alternative to a bit of local knowledge.

thanks,
Paul.

marty
27-07-2010, 21:56
(SL)Easyjet has just bumped us from a Saturday morning arrival at Glasgow International to this Friday night... :eek:
We can still pick up our van, but at 10pm! So, no campsites are willing to let us in at that time of night (I checked).

We are travelling up the west coast, but I was hoping to stock up with vittles at the Bridgewater Shopping Centre, Erskine before heading into the wilds. So, I've been hunting for a corner to hide for the night, where we won't rile the natives.

I guess the obvious choice is the Shopping Centre itself. Other choices are the Sports Centre next door or the small park opposite. Or there's an office block (former AA HQ) and industrial unit near the Erskine Bridge Hotel.

Going farther afield, there's the India of Inchinnan Business Park, a few possibilities up there (too close to the airport for a good night's sleep?). Or we could head up the A8 Greenock Road, looks like spots at Ferryhill, Parklea and Kelburn Park, all beside the A8.

So, do you have any opinions on any of those.
I do love Google Earth Streetview, but it's no alternative to a bit of local knowledge.

thanks,
Paul.

Hi Paul, id stay away from the places at Ferryhill parlkea and kelburn. Full of boy racers and naughty couples .
Bridgewater shopping can be full of the young team , so wouldnt recommend that either.

There is a new garden center just opened under erskine bridge on the erskine side with a large car park , im sure you would be fine there if you were away early.
Also the morrisons shopping center will be closed at 10pm so you could catch it in the morning .

sasquatch
27-07-2010, 22:11
Is the quayside at Helensburgh too far away for you?

sagart
28-07-2010, 17:13
I go for Rowardennan or the Queen Elizabeth Park on the left on the Drymen/Rowardennan Road

johnandlou118
28-07-2010, 21:58
Hi the one place I can definately reccomend would be Lochwinnoch at castle semple watersports centre great location no trouble and the police do pop in frequently to make sure their are no undesireables, lochside location I stay there very frequently as I use the loch for windsurfing you can also check out the location on web cam before hand this is a popular spot and i have met motorhomers from all over their the only stipulation is that you park on the wooded side rather than the loch side of the car park (fire regs).
web cam link
Lochwinnoch Village Website (http://www.lochwinnoch.info/webcam/loch/)

Very easy commute past Airport to glasgow all M/way.

Hope this helps

John

GadgetUK437
31-07-2010, 04:39
thanks guys, for those suggestions. But in the end, we just vittled up see at the 24 hour Asda and hightailed it outta Dodge. We are now in a layby on the A82, 1.5 km north of Arden, a nice offroad one but a bit noisy with the busy traffic.

Jim Dunn
04-03-2014, 21:14
I've overnighted here several times. There are lovely views to the canal and even a pub/restaurant on site. There is a mainline station just ten minutes walk which takes ten minutes to Glasgow city centre. I believe there are even limited hook ups available for about 3 a night.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS