PDA

View Full Version : eurotunnel

dunk
11-12-2009, 15:27
hi there we are thinking of going to france nextyear with our motorhome on the eurotunnel , how do we solve the problem with the LPG tank ?:confused:
do we just get one when we are there or can we take a small one ?:confused:
thanks for any help;);)

dunk

grath
11-12-2009, 15:52
You can take the normal gas cylinders fitted for gas cooking , but I believe that vehicles converted to run on LPG are not permitted.

Dezi
11-12-2009, 15:53
hi there we are thinking of going to france nextyear with our motorhome on the eurotunnel , how do we solve the problem with the LPG tank ?:confused:
thanks for any help;);)

dunk

Hi Dunk, Coming back from te continent we were diverted to le chunnel because Sea France were on strike & had blocked the ferry ports. We have a fixed LPG tank, but the question never arose. We just drove on.

Dezi

grath
11-12-2009, 15:57
Just tried for a quote and I can confirm that LPG powered vehicles are not permitted.

dunk
11-12-2009, 15:58
thanks guys i was told you cant take lpg bottles on the eurotunnel.
(never understood why) big market for them.

(always better to aks the pros);):D

dunk

channa
11-12-2009, 16:03
Hi Dunk, Coming back from te continent we were diverted to le chunnel because Sea France were on strike & had blocked the ferry ports. We have a fixed LPG tank, but the question never arose. We just drove on.

Dezi

16 th October this year ?? I contacted Sea France suggested they had created the problem not me ...and sailed back a week later when all was restored......

Hard work spending a week in Belgium eh ?

Channa

grath
11-12-2009, 16:08
I presume that fitted tanks for cooking such as refillable Gaslow are permitted:confused:
Can someone please confirm?

grath
11-12-2009, 16:10
I presume that fitted tanks for cooking such as refillable Gaslow are permitted:confused:

I presume that the difference is that you can turn these type of tanks off.

johnnerontheroad
11-12-2009, 16:34
All you need to know here LPG and gas transport (http://www.eurotunnel.co.uk/ukcP3Main/ukcPassengers/ukcTravel/ukpLPG.htm)

Dave

channa
11-12-2009, 16:39
dunk

SeaFrance - SeaFrance : traversée de la Manche, ferry Calais Douvres - Dover Calais Ferries (http://www.seafrance.com) or similar.

Channa

Kontiki
11-12-2009, 19:22
There is no problem traveling through the tunnel providing you don't exceed the max limits as specified in the link Dave has given. They check to make sure you have the gas turned off. Reading the link from what I remember they seemed to have increased the limits, at least it is clear what you can carry.

otis the staffy
11-12-2009, 19:42

Can confirm grath Refillables and standard calor etc no problem they check that switched off in holding area just prior to loading so make tea before going to holding ,switch off board ,and by the time you have supped up it's time to get off 'enjoy

dunk
11-12-2009, 20:07
on the eurotunnel site it states (This filling rate will be checked via the gauge. If no gauge is present, the vehicle will be refused.)
do you need to get guages for the gasbottles ?:confused::confused:

dunk

channa
11-12-2009, 20:22
on the eurotunnel site it states (This filling rate will be checked via the gauge. If no gauge is present, the vehicle will be refused.)
do you need to get guages for the gasbottles ?:confused::confused:

dunk

I picked up on that too Dunk.

I only have a an English propane of 13 kg calor and a 10 kg French bottle...so even if full still below their parameters.

Not the hardest job in the world to demonstrate the bottles are closed. !!

That said my French bottle is an Antargaz calypso...which Dover customs reckoned they hadnt seen before so we had to endure them faffing around x-raying etc.

Traditional bottles dont seem to be a problem with the chunnel, it seems not quite as clear with a dedicated LPG tank unless I am losing the plot somewhere.

Channa

dunk
11-12-2009, 20:56
thanks channa ;);) its something i never thought about:rolleyes:

dunk

johnnerontheroad
11-12-2009, 21:29
Click on the "Allowed Gas Quantities" on the link I gave and you will see mobile contaners don't need a filling rate, only fixed tanks need to have a gauge.

Dave

dunk
11-12-2009, 21:39
thanks johnontheroad i never saw that link:rolleyes::rolleyes:

dunk

John Thompson
12-12-2009, 06:15
Click on the "Allowed Gas Quantities" on the link I gave and you will see mobile contaners don't need a filling rate, only fixed tanks need to have a gauge.

Dave

They have increased the amount of LPG allowed to be carried. It used to be no more than 55 litres in no more than two containers. Now it is 99 litres.

I can now use the tunnel with my 85 litre gas tank and a camping gaz cylinder.

Vennwood
12-12-2009, 08:29
I contacted them and was pointed towards the terms and conditions and as stated already it is a maximum of 99ltrs providing the tank is the 80% full type which all calor and most fixed LPG tanks are. If your tank holds more than 99ltrs then as long as its not full. i.e. showing say 50% full with no more than 99 ltrs you are ok.

smifee
12-12-2009, 17:23
What happens depends on what you know about the procedures and what the person checking knows about MH's & LPG.

On the French side it also depends on whether it is raining or cold as the staff may not want to leave the comfort of their sentry box.:D

2 MHs ago I had a coachbuilt with a fixed LPG tank under the van & one LPG cylinder in the gas locker. The cylinder was just a backup.

I just opened the gas locker when pulled over for the gas/security check.

In about a dozen trips on the tunnel they didn't know the gas tank was there. I was under the maximim number of litres permitted but just had to show that I had turned the cylinder off each time.

grath
13-12-2009, 14:00
The big picture is that these rules and regulations are made for our very own safety and it only takes one fool hardy person to jeopardise the safety on any particular shuttle.:(
This reminds me of the idiot's that remove the hazardous warning signs after coming off a ferry and transiting France with HGV,s:mad:
They do this as speed limits are lower with hazardous goods and the drivers of such vehicles are likely to be stopped more often for control checks:eek:

marymo
27-01-2010, 08:43
thanks for any help;);)

dunk

We take tunnel every year - great with kids only half hour and no shops!!!. Before you board you turn off gas bottles, staff will check this has been done and a sticker is put on windscreen - only with the sticker are you allowed board. Enjoy

JohnH
27-01-2010, 14:51
I have an Auto-Sleepers Warwick Duo which is fitted with a 25 litre gas tank. The only "gauge" to show how full the tank is, is a set of led's which show how full the tank is. This has already taken into account the 80 per cent maximum so if anyone looked at the "gauge" it would show as full. The main off tap is also placed under the nearside seating and would necessitate removing what is stored there.
I guess that Eurotunnel would turn me away for the above reasons. Because of that I use the ferry. Saves hassle and I enjoy the sail anyway.

John Thompson
27-01-2010, 15:09
I have an Auto-Sleepers Warwick Duo which is fitted with a 25 litre gas tank. The only "gauge" to show how full the tank is, is a set of led's which show how full the tank is. This has already taken into account the 80 per cent maximum so if anyone looked at the "gauge" it would show as full. The main off tap is also placed under the nearside seating and would necessitate removing what is stored there.
I guess that Eurotunnel would turn me away for the above reasons. Because of that I use the ferry. Saves hassle and I enjoy the sail anyway.

At the point where your gas leaves the tank is there not an aluminium cover. On mine this can be removed easily with a thumb screw. Under this cover is a gauge and a tap before the regulator.

John Thompson
27-01-2010, 15:20

At the point where your gas leaves the tank is there not an aluminium cover. On mine this can be removed easily with a thumb screw. Under this cover is a gauge and a tap before the regulator.

The LED gauge is fed from this gauge.

Eurotunnel limit is 50kg in more that one containers.

Transport of gas containers to power domestic services* for caravans, campervans, vehicles fitted out as a campervan are restricted as outline below:

- If your vehicle is fitted with a “mobile” gas container the quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 litres) for a single container and is limited to 50kg (or approximately 99 liters) in the case of several containers.

- If your vehicle is fitted with a “fixed” gas container the quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 litres) for a single container and the maximum filling rate is 80% (or approximately 73 litres).
In the case of several fixed containers the quantity of gas is limited to 50kg (or approximately 99 litres) on the whole with a maximum filling rate of 80% per container (or approximately 79 litres).

- If your vehicle is fitted with a combination of mobile and fixed containers the quantity of gas is limited to 50kg and rules previously described applies.

coolasluck
27-01-2010, 16:23
sounds like you have the same set up as myself,John,i also have the same size tank,absolutly brilliant and wouldnt be without the fixed tank.Lasts for ages too but have not filled the tank up yet.

JohnH
27-01-2010, 16:28

Many thanks for the information John. As soon as I can get underneath the motorhome without freezing my bits off I will check it out. When I had the handover all I was told about was the on/off under the seat and the gauge is that silly set of lights by the driver's door.
Regards
JohnH

JohnH
27-01-2010, 16:31
Sorry to partly hi-jack the original question but to answer the comment regarding the amount of gas these fixed tanks hold. At the rate I use gas I will probably sell the motorhome before the tank runs out. I spent Christmas away using gas all the time and have been away before and the lights still tell me it is full.

John Thompson
27-01-2010, 17:49
Sorry to partly hi-jack the original question but to answer the comment regarding the amount of gas these fixed tanks hold. At the rate I use gas I will probably sell the motorhome before the tank runs out. I spent Christmas away using gas all the time and have been away before and the lights still tell me it is full.

Just topped mine up 40 litres since 13 January. It has been on all day everyday.

We are calulating using £50 per month from beginning of March when we are living in the Motorhome Full-time.

channa
27-01-2010, 18:03
I personally just want to let the tyres of the goodship hit the tarmac in Calais.

All the rules and regs of eurotunnel seriously put me off and for that reason I stick to the ferries.

My favoured carrier is Seafrance, and since they asked me if I was a driver ? coz I had a fluro jacket on and it appears not suitably atttired for their ' giddies' restaurant/cafe I get into the truckers restaurant get a good feed for 4 or 5 euros, and off on my travels when we hit Calais.

I love it when people assume in your favour !!!

Happy days

Channa

suellorca
14-03-2010, 17:41
Cant help about the LPG gas but we have used the eurotunnel several times and know a good place to stop over. We catch a late evening crossing, say about 10pm, as it only takes half an hour, then we follow the signs to Cite Europe which is a big Carrefour/shopping centre(about 2miles). They have a large carpark on the West side, up the hill, which is signposted for Camping Cars, where there are always a few vehicles parked up for the night. We are then ready to make a fresh start first thing in the morning. Hope this is helpful to your plans.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS