PDA

View Full Version : St. Margarets 2

Nosha
26-10-2006, 17:44
If you carry on past the layby recommended above, into the village, bare left as you go through the centre and out the other side following the brown information sign 'The Dover Patrol Monument', this road leads to a dead end which contains a large tarmac car park at the base of the monument next to an old coast guards look-out, now a tea room. This has a lovely view out to sea, very quiet, the tea room owner leaves for work quite early plus the odd dog walker. If you want to see a picture have a look at St Margaret in the photo gallery.

Nosha
13-10-2007, 20:40
I can confirm that a year letter this is STILL a great spot!

I would suggest that if you park at the other end to the tea rooms the early morning dog walkers do NOT park right next to you and slam EVERY door a dozen times! It seems they own the top end of the carpark!!

Geoff.W
16-12-2007, 18:02
Many thanks for that Graham

Looks rather better than the layby on the A20 where we stopped. Bl***y noisy place that was. Fortunatly didn't pull up untill after midnight and was back on the road just after 6.

loubylou
16-12-2007, 23:00
Thanks for this info Graham, we are going over to france in spring/summer and this looks like a good spot for the night. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Lou

boff
10-01-2008, 07:36
So the rumous that this site now has No Overnight Parking signs are not true?

Would be glad about it!

Best Regards,
Gerhard

JED THE SPREAD
24-02-2008, 22:10
i was down their this weekend. no sighns saying no camping :)

jed

robert b
25-02-2008, 05:51
i no the place well. its a beutiful place i spent my teen age years in the village .we used to go to village dances in the holiday park as it is now .i lived in a village called east langdon .the pubs in village are cosy .and freindly recomend it go down there a lot my family still live in dover.

reynolds29
05-04-2008, 10:33
Stayed here this weekend. lovely place. We arrived at 8.30pm,could see lights across france and ferries. can walk for miles. If you walk towards cliffs turn right and walk for about a mile, you will find some steps going down to beach and there are some public toilets which open 8am-8pm. If you go into tea house and buy something, it would help to keep them friendly for future camping there. We stayed for two nights, cooked breakfast and supper and nobody bothered us.

robert b
05-04-2008, 16:15
i no this place well i used to drink in st margarets bay in my younger days as i come from dover i lived in a little village called east langdon there also a nice pub on the bottom of a steep hill called the coast guard theres a lot of steps down to bay but its worth the walk down if your fit

rubberjohnson
22-08-2008, 16:49
Hi, new member here - my first post...
Found this website just in time last week, and spent a very pleasant night at the monument. No problems at all, and a lovely cream tea at the cafe to boot! Thanks for the info.

DocHoliday
09-05-2009, 08:53
The GPS coordinates are N51.15658, E1.39279
Stayed there last night - lovely spot - two other vans there. The approach road is a bit rutted, though.

grath
09-05-2009, 09:24
A few pickies of the place from a couple of years ago:) HOWEVER, the last time that we tried to get there (2008) it was totally inaccessible for motorhomes as a few foreign trucks had parked on the approach road for the weekend. Have no idea how they would get out as a couple were A frame trailers:eek: well they would but with great difficulty:D we then went to Marine parade:)

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1500.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1476.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1481.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1475.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff262/tramperbucket/IMG_1486.jpg

silent rider
09-05-2009, 10:14
i used to go to school in st. margaret's its very nice in from dover orginaly but used to go to bording school there:)

robert b
09-05-2009, 11:20
iam from east langdon and no st margarets very well old stmping ground in 60s realy nice place still:)

Jacques le foot
09-05-2009, 20:37
I can also confirm what a lovely spot this is. We stayed overnight last year before going on the ferry. Apart from us, there was a Frenchman, a Dutchman, and 2 Germans. I asked one of the German ladies how they knew about the place, and she said it was in a German publication of motorhome stopovers in the U.K. ...Marvelous eh!! :rolleyes:

Jackie ;)

Finaly managed to get my avatar sorted !!

grath
09-05-2009, 21:16
I can also confirm what a lovely spot this is. We stayed overnight last year before going on the ferry. Apart from us, there was a Frenchman, a Dutchman, and 2 Germans. I asked one of the German ladies how they knew about the place, and she said it was in a German publication of motorhome stopovers in the U.K. ...Marvelous eh!! :rolleyes:

Jackie ;)

Finaly managed to get my avatar sorted !!

When we stayed there a couple of years ago, there were a couple of Germans and they also told us the same:)

Guido ON7CI (Flanders)
05-04-2010, 13:54
This site is great for watching TV channels from France, Belgium and with any luck also from Holland.

Guido

mavisnye
27-05-2010, 21:06
I checked this site out for a friend to stay on his way to the port.
What a great site and a cafe on hand as well.
There is a sign (a tiny tiny sign) that says no Camping in tents and thats all but it is well hidden so I think they are tolerant as they know people are waiting for their ferry times.

JED THE SPREAD
10-06-2010, 16:20
A few of us used it a while back on our trip to Germany, YouTube - Germany Mammut Park VW Syncro 25 years event 2010 (Part 1) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0A3FlCEvYg)

jed

grath
10-06-2010, 16:48
Nice spot as you can see, we have been there:)
Good view on a clear day and you can see France:D

keith-17
18-07-2011, 19:31
Is this place still ok for overnights please ? :)

thankyou

Nosha
18-07-2011, 20:32
As far as I know it is. If you're waiting for a ferry I've been told many use Marina Drive, last time we arrived early and thought we would get our heads down for a couple of hours in the port they waved us straight on to an earlier ferry!!!!

fairytooth
19-07-2011, 08:01
I can confirm that a year letter this is STILL a great spot!

I would suggest that if you park at the other end to the tea rooms the early morning dog walkers do NOT park right next to you and slam EVERY door a dozen times! It seems they own the top end of the carpark!!

They might not like MH's on 'their' car park but you should remind them it might prevent car theft/vandalism while you are about.

keith-17
21-07-2011, 16:45
wow :)
stayed there last night and watched the ferries going in and out ...there was a couple of other MH 's there but its just so peaceful ..

fantastic spot :)

arto69gl
26-02-2012, 16:24
Just had 2 nights in the layby at St Margarets right on the beach! very quiet at night plenty of room for our 6.5 metre A class although roads quite narrow through some of the nearby villages so check your approach , although I have taken the van down narrower lanes, 2 pubs within 2 minute walk offering cheap meals. Walked up to the Dover patrol monument, car park full (so arrive late) nice cafe but parking around the monument was chained off

grath
26-02-2012, 16:56
Just had 2 nights in the layby at St Margarets right on the beach! very quiet at night plenty of room for our 6.5 metre A class although roads quite narrow through some of the nearby villages so check your approach , although I have taken the van down narrower lanes, 2 pubs within 2 minute walk offering cheap meals. Walked up to the Dover patrol monument, car park full (so arrive late) nice cafe but parking around the monument was chained off

Can you no longer reverse up towards the sea, opposite the monument.
On the right as you drive to the end of the road.

keith-17
19-08-2012, 12:08
That part is ok , its the part that goes round 3 sides of the monument that you cant park on :)

Go wild
19-08-2012, 15:40
Is this on poi?

Canalsman
19-08-2012, 16:49
Is this on poi?

Yes

Go wild
19-08-2012, 16:54
Yes Thanks

jann
23-05-2016, 15:06
Normally quiet,there were about 8 German motorhomes there last week.

GWAYGWAY
23-05-2016, 17:00
Do not try and use you phone there as unless you have roaming you will get French rates. The roads in and out are not adopted by the council and are a rather rough example of a scrambles track in places, there is a very nice renovated Ford Thames Trader campervan on the road in. Nice place once you get there.

WandCsadventure
06-08-2016, 10:28
Anyone been there recently? Any update about those signs?
Planning to stay overnight in about 2 weeks.

jann
06-08-2016, 13:36
About 4 weeks ago there were signs saying no overnight parking

WandCsadventure
06-08-2016, 18:15
Aaaahw, thats a shame. Any alternative nearby? Or between Canterbury and Dover?

Lucyk
12-08-2016, 12:19
Does anyone know if this is still suitable as a stopping place? We have a very early morning ferry from Dover so were thinking of stopping here the night before.

WandCsadventure
24-08-2016, 14:43
I checked 21-8 and signs are still there... :(

WandCsadventure
24-08-2016, 14:50
We searched for a place for an hour or so and then ended up in the entrace to a field. Had a quick nap before ferry. Sorry forgot to note exact location. Somewhere near Ripple and Sutton.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS