PDA

View Full Version : bury market

Old_Arthur
24-01-2010, 17:17
had a sorty into darkest red rose country this weekend to bury market:o
therapy for the wife:rolleyes:PARKING a 20ft motorhome?drove into town all car parks had height barriers so asked a traffic warden:eek:he thought about it then said the barrier was down on the car park near tk max:D found it, while lookin for a spot to park SHE came from noware missus traffic warden :mad:you are not allowed to park in here unless you can get full motor in marked box no chance ,
where can i park then ?go on to the street and i will come to you,i park up and she comes over it's only 2hrs parking and i still overhang another space says i ,get a ticket says she,then she writes her number on it signs it and put 4hrs on for me:eek::D lovely woman.

caddyshack
24-01-2010, 17:38
restored my faith in human nature, i hope you tasted the famous black puddings while there.
if you go again, head down to burrs country park, and just outside the cc site, o/night there midweek this time of year on the cobbled car park, 20 min walk to market along side of river, or bus 5 mins. avoid w/ends to busy with walkers.

tom

stirlingb
24-01-2010, 18:26
Could also have mentioned that there is a pub (The Brown Cow) within 100 yds of the cobbled parking area that does meals and also that the Irwell Valley Way passes right past the cobbled area which gives walks not only into Bury in one direction but through Summerseat into Ramsbottom in the other direction.

urbtaf
24-01-2010, 20:29
Glad you enjoyed Bury, did warn you that the car parks all have barriers, but we market traders have an understanding with the wardens that cover that car park. The barrier is left open on market days, and you can take up 2 spaces as long as you put 2 tickets on the van, a bit dear but needs must.
There are 19 coach parking places on the roads near the college, dont park a motorhome there, it will get a ticket.
But the wardens can be very helpful, before Xmas there were 30 coaches turned up on 1 Wed, they allowed them to park on the double yellows in the streets around Asda, putting a note on each to make sure no over keen copper ticketed them.
The market is a good day out but just a pity its on the wrong side of the Yorks Lancs border

channa
24-01-2010, 20:58
Could also have mentioned that there is a pub (The Brown Cow) within 100 yds of the cobbled parking area that does meals and also that the Irwell Valley Way passes right past the cobbled area which gives walks not only into Bury in one direction but through Summerseat into Ramsbottom in the other direction.

In the early days of my adventure I spent a couple of days on Burrs CC site, My daughter was studying at Salford.

She tapped me up for an evening meal which I think was at the Brown Cow.

Good value ,nice atmosphere, and the country park itself interesting watching the canoeing on the Irwell.

Wrong side of the big hill perhaps:rolleyes:;), But well worth a visit if you should find yourself in this part of the world.

Channa

stirlingb
26-01-2010, 13:58
If there are any of you steam buffs out there, the Irwell Valley railway goes past Burrs Park. If its a nice day you can sit in the Brown Cow garden area and watch the steam trains go past most weekends (occasionally they have diesel weekends but it is usually steam)

Don
15-05-2010, 20:30
Why struggle on town center car park when at the side of bye-pass at Tesco, parking is free, masses of space. and a short walk back into town center.

Don

jenspen
15-05-2010, 20:42
We used to love going to Bury Market when the kids were little many moons ago. Black Puddings boiling in those big tubs with lots of mustard......

leon
05-07-2010, 14:17
could you not park opposite Bury College near the Bury times building like the coaches do.
but yea parking is not great at the moment but theres a shakeup int he town center with a new complex being created with more stores and a cinemas being created

stirlingb
23-08-2010, 21:21
New complex is now open. Also if any of you have children/grandchildren of a certain age, this bank holiday Monday is 'teddy bears picknic' weekend at Nuttall Park in Ramsbottom. Any children turning up with a teddy bear (and an adult) gets a free ride on the East Lancs railway (from any of the stations I believe) to Ramsbottom Station, then walk to Nuttall park (about half a mile), where there is plenty going on

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS