PDA

View Full Version : STAITHES, (COWBAR), North Yorkshire / Cleveland

phunkinutz
25-01-2010, 16:44
STAITHES, (COWBAR), North Yorkshire 20 miles from middlesbrough 8 miles from whitby.

If your coming from Whitby follow the road towards Staithes but carry on the A174 you will find the road dips down and back up follow the road for less than 1/2 a mile and you will see a very small sign for "COWBAR" follow the small road in.

Coming from Loftus, follow the hill down as you look to the right you will see the Boulby potash mine. Just as the road striaghtens out the sign for Cowbar is on the left.

Drive down what looks like a fairly new but narrow road with passing points ( dont worry it's very quite) the road continues down into the village. DO NOT GO DOWN THE BANK!!!! it is very steep and narrow cliff one side cliff the other!! Stay at the top and you will see the gravel car parks.

There are two fairly large gravel car parks which are free to say in. Once your out of the van walk further down the very steep road into Cowbar you will find a little wooden foot bridge which takes you straight into Staithes. Ive been told that the cliffs at Cowbar are the highest in England, no idea if is correct but they are very impressive. A small selection of pubs are in Staithes and a few very very good restaurants.

Tigatigatiger
26-01-2010, 08:08
STAITHES, (COWBAR), North Yorkshire 20 miles from middlesbrough 8 miles from whitby.

If your coming from Whitby follow the road towards Staithes but carry on the A174 you will find the road dips down and back up follow the road for less than 1/2 a mile and you will see a very small sign for "COWBAR" follow the small road in.

Coming from Loftus, follow the hill down as you look to the right you will see the Boulby potash mine. Just as the road striaghtens out the sign for Cowbar is on the left.

Drive down what looks like a fairly new but narrow road with passing points ( dont worry it's very quite) the road continues down into the village. DO NOT GO DOWN THE BANK!!!! it is very steep and narrow cliff one side cliff the other!! Stay at the top and you will see the gravel car parks.

There are two fairly large gravel car parks which are free to say in. Once your out of the van walk further down the very steep road into Cowbar you will find a little wooden foot bridge which takes you straight into Staithes. Ive been told that the cliffs at Cowbar are the highest in England, no idea if is correct but they are very impressive. A small selection of pubs are in Staithes and a few very very good restaurants.

A lovely spot which I had forgotten about-was not sure if the place had eroded away.

You are not joking about the Bank!

For info the Potash Mine goes out to sea for about 4 miles-my dad worked there (see my reply to saltburn).

Paula

Canalsman
23-10-2012, 23:41
Used this car park last night.

Very peaceful and secluded, and Staithes is a gem.

Recommended.

emsee1
20-08-2013, 21:45
Stayed here recently, this is the view from the cliff tops.
Very peaceful night apart from the rain, I can see why you guys do this now.

Great site :cheers:

gherkin
08-02-2014, 22:11
How far along the road are the car parks? I'm planning a trip next weekend and it'll be dark when I get there. I cannot see them on google earth.

Any help would be appreciated.

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS