PDA

View Full Version : South Wales 20th Feb

busydaffodil
01-02-2010, 17:11
Anyone up for an Ogmore meet up for the Saturday afternoon/evening? (20th Feb)

We've cleaned the carpets now, bought a carbon monoxide tester & we're in the middle of buying the genny.

Outdoor BBQ perhaps? (weather permitting)
Seaside location!

biggirafe
01-02-2010, 17:41
Would have loved too but we are away in Leek that weekend. :(

Leek is near Manchester, leeks are supposed to be Welsh, you want a Welsh meet. MY HEAD HURTS :D :D

bigboack
01-02-2010, 17:45
Would have loved too but we are away in Leek that weekend. :(

Leek is near Manchester, leeks are supposed to be Welsh, you want a Welsh meet. MY HEAD HURTS :D :D

Two leaky tikis at leeky then. :p:p:p:p

biggirafe
01-02-2010, 19:22
Two leaky tikis at leeky then. :p:p:p:p

They are not leaks, Kontikis are top of the range and come with 'Water Features' ;)

kangooroo
01-02-2010, 20:47
I'm probably working during the daytime - will this be an overnight camp? (Ogmore is one of my regular spots!)

ajs
01-02-2010, 21:03
Anyone up for an Ogmore meet up for the Saturday afternoon/evening? (20th Feb)

We've cleaned the carpets now, bought a carbon monoxide tester & we're in the middle of buying the genny.

Outdoor BBQ perhaps? (weather permitting)
Seaside location!

lizzydaftasbill... prey tell... what is an ogmore :confused::confused::confused::confused:

when we get back from leek then we'll come to your BBQ.. :cool:
so disorganise another as soon as you like :D

begs the question... why don't you come to leek :confused::confused::confused:

regards;)
aj

busydaffodil
02-02-2010, 05:01
hmmm........wheres leek? I've obviously missed a post somewhere....but thats nothing new. lol

biggirafe
02-02-2010, 06:43
hmmm........wheres leek? I've obviously missed a post somewhere....but thats nothing new. lol

I dunno, you 2 were the sober ones at the weekend :)

Heres the Leek thread
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-meets-gatherings/8370-feb-1-2-term-meet-w-e-19th-21st-feb.html

There was some concerns about space but give em a call you might be lucky :)

busydaffodil
02-02-2010, 08:25
I dunno, you 2 were the sober ones at the weekend :)

Heres the Leek thread
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-meets-gatherings/8370-feb-1-2-term-meet-w-e-19th-21st-feb.html

There was some concerns about space but give em a call you might be lucky :)

Leek - too far for us atm

Sober - always sober. I don't drink at all(allergic). Bob doesnt drink when he has to drive or in posession of keys of a vehicle. (His relative lost his license for having the keys in his pocket in the back seat of his car, while over the limit - they called it intent). He's a tad wary of losing his livelihood so doesnt often drink anymore.

biggirafe
02-02-2010, 12:19
Leek - too far for us atm

Sober - always sober. I don't drink at all(allergic). Bob doesnt drink when he has to drive or in posession of keys of a vehicle. (His relative lost his license for having the keys in his pocket in the back seat of his car, while over the limit - they called it intent). He's a tad wary of losing his livelihood so doesnt often drink anymore.

Sounds sensible to me :)

Oh well hope to see you both again soon

mandrake
02-02-2010, 13:01
hi i am up for that will see you there ,its a nice spot .as we are in bridgend at the moment its only a 10 min run for us plus we spend quite a bit of time at ogmore by sea as for an overnight stop i would say a no no as there is no overnighting there you sometimes get a knock from the old bill not worth it realy ps you cannoy miss the old beddy it has mandrake on it see you there :D

ajs
02-02-2010, 13:08

still don't know what an ogmore is...:(:(

regards :o:rolleyes::p
aj

busydaffodil
02-02-2010, 15:21
Kangaroo - I work until midday on saturdays so it would be from 1pm onwards for us too.

AJ - Ogmore is a place is welsh wales and full of those welshies :D

Mandrake - no overnighting? Opps.......I'll pretend I didnt see the sign! (please forgive me hossifer)

barnybg
02-02-2010, 15:28
A small piece of penninsular land opposite the sand dunes of PORTHCAWL (S.Wales) found by turning at roundabout near Bridgend.
Quiet carpark come dune,come hillside overlooking sea and bay,small river and small ruined castle nearby,a good stop off,on the way to the Gower or Pembroke if your near Bridgend and the M4.....Where's Manchester ?

Tigatigatiger
02-02-2010, 15:36
A small piece of penninsular land opposite the sand dunes of PORTHCAWL (S.Wales) found by turning at roundabout near Bridgend.
Quiet carpark come dune,come hillside overlooking sea and bay,small river and small ruined castle nearby,a good stop off,on the way to the Gower or Pembroke if your near Bridgend and the M4.....Where's Manchester ?

Just had a look at this place on Google earth-looks nice (can see two motorhomes LOL). But have you seen how many caravans are at Porthcawl?? An huge estate of caravans-hundreds of them!!

busydaffodil
02-02-2010, 15:42
Porthcawl = where most Welsh children went on holiday, during miners fortnight, when I was a child.
Midnight runs to the toilet block in your PJ's, with a towel, toilet roll & torch!

Ahhh...them were the days!!

Ogmore is lush

busydaffodil
02-02-2010, 15:48
Ok, no overnighting at ogmore.

What about The Knap? (near Barry Island?)

ajs
02-02-2010, 15:53
AJ - Ogmore is a place is welsh wales and full of those welshies :D

OMG....will i need a passport and an interpreter :confused::confused::confused::confused:

regards :D
aj

anyone with a link to this place... :confused:
my satnav mapsource goes blank in that area :eek::eek:

busydaffodil
02-02-2010, 17:09
THE KNAP
the knap, barry - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=the+knap,+barry&sll=51.390798,-3.298559&sspn=0.01181,0.027423&ie=UTF8&filter=0&rq=1&ev=p&radius=0.59&hq=the+knap,+barry&hnear=&ll=51.390798,-3.298559&spn=0.01181,0.027423&t=h&z=15)

OGMORE-BY-SEA
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ogmore-by-sea&sll=51.46571,-3.635787&sspn=0.023581,0.054846&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ogmore-by-Sea,+Bridgend,+Mid+Glamorgan,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.464435,-3.639961&spn=0.002948,0.006856&t=h&z=17

busydaffodil
02-02-2010, 17:16
Passport??

definitely not!

But you might need to bring a toilet with you....and maybe some way to make electricity. Apparently we have neither. :D

Telephone = string & two cans if you are rich!

Oh,......and call everyone "Boyo"

(no, dont......only a welshy can do that & live to tell the tale - outsiders are treated appropriately!)

maingate
02-02-2010, 18:43
Mrs Daffodil,

My Granny was born in the Ogmore Valley. It says so in a Census return. :)

10 years later, the census says she was born in the Oysnou Valley.:confused:

Please find out about the Oysnou Valley for me please, it has puzzled me for a long time.

BTW According to a census, her Mother was born in Port Albert. That had me puzzled for a while as well. :)

ajs
02-02-2010, 18:51
OGMORE-BY-SEA
ogmore-by-sea - Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=ogmore-by-sea&sll=51.46571,-3.635787&sspn=0.023581,0.054846&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Ogmore-by-Sea,+Bridgend,+Mid+Glamorgan,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.464435,-3.639961&spn=0.002948,0.006856&t=h&z=17)

Ahhh.. just round the corner from llantwit...know llantwit well
doughter lived there for a while...:cool:

stayed down the front there in the car park while visiting her :o.. noughty i know :p

...that place ogmore looks orribule with all them vans and statics about :eek:
only saving grace is the golf course up the road...:D

regards :rolleyes:
aj

kangooroo
02-02-2010, 19:06
I've parked many times at Ogmore with no problems but... my Roo just looks like a small car and nobody gives it a second glance. I think parking huge motorhomes would be a different matter and would attract attention.

There's another good overnight spot I've used - Nash Point by the lighthouse just a few miles outside Llantwit Major. There are superb coastal views, a pathway leading down to the beach and it's both quiet and secluded at night.

If you arrive in the afternoon then there's a parking charge of about 3 to pay (but possibly not out of season in Feb) but there's been no objection to our overnight parking. It's a nice spot although there's no shelter on a windy night.

K

mandrake
06-02-2010, 11:12
I've parked many times at Ogmore with no problems but... my Roo just looks like a small car and nobody gives it a second glance. I think parking huge motorhomes would be a different matter and would attract attention.

There's another good overnight spot I've used - Nash Point by the lighthouse just a few miles outside Llantwit Major. There are superb coastal views, a pathway leading down to the beach and it's both quiet and secluded at night.

If you arrive in the afternoon then there's a parking charge of about 3 to pay (but possibly not out of season in Feb) but there's been no objection to our overnight parking. It's a nice spot although there's no shelter on a windy night.

K
lots of vans do overnight there .there is always the chance of the law paying you a call at silly oclock there is not a thing they can do but its the disturbance i dont like .at this time of year its a quid to stay all day the reason we dont stay over night is we know to many nice quiet spot round there if we all meet there i can fill you all in on some of the places to stay we will be there early doors so will keep an eye out for you all

geoffdawe
08-02-2010, 00:38
Hi, We have just taken over the Anchor Inn by Tintern Abbey and as avid motorhome owners since 1974, welcome campers to our beautifully refurbished old pub. We have a four acre site on which we hope to arrange rallies but when the weathers iffy we have a large car park right beside Tintern Abbey.
Geoff Dawe. Landlord. 01291 689582.

kangooroo
08-02-2010, 00:46
Geoff - that's great news. You're in a superb spot and I'm sure many motorhomers will now be flocking to you in Tintern.

For anyone unfamiliar with Tintern - it's just a few miles north of Chepstow in a beautiful spot right on the banks of the River Wye beside a ruined 13th century Cistercian Abbey, with all village facilities close by.

biggirafe
08-02-2010, 06:59
Hi, We have just taken over the Anchor Inn by Tintern Abbey and as avid motorhome owners since 1974, welcome campers to our beautifully refurbished old pub. We have a four acre site on which we hope to arrange rallies but when the weathers iffy we have a large car park right beside Tintern Abbey.
Geoff Dawe. Landlord. 01291 689582.

Hi Geoff
Sounds great its a fantastic part of the world.

Can you tell us what your expectations are regards payment? Most people on this site are more than happy to spend a few quid in any pub;) but its nice to know what will keep you happy and ensure smooth relations :)

busydaffodil
08-02-2010, 07:41
Fabulous....just down the road and would love to wildcamp there.

mandrake
15-02-2010, 11:41
just to reliven the meet at ogmore by sea, if anyone is interested we will get there saturday morning, mabey parked near to the lifeguard station. we have been over there this weekend its a quid to stay the day but we found nobody checks this tme of the year so it was free for us .a bit cheeky i know but :D:D got to go now but will try to get back on here later in the week ,but if i dont manage it i look forward to seein you on saturday .as i said in an earlier post you cannot mis the old beddy and my name is on the front ok

busydaffodil
16-02-2010, 18:03
Still aiming for this. Our baby has a new MOT as of yesterday!

Bought some outdoor seats now too. Need a fire pit & we're happy.

Hopefully see you there.

mandrake
19-02-2010, 13:48
yes will do we will be there .we have been there most of this week and its so quiet this time of year

rach-chavette
22-02-2010, 08:05
Barry knap is awesome for a wild night
looky here:
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/glamorgan-morgannwg/6716-barry-knap.html

Must tell you tho that the gates are locked after 5:30pm in winter 8:30 in summer.. you cant get in but you can get out ;) stops all the boyracers .. It has toilets but they close overnight but re-open early morning...

Theres a lovely park in walking distance with a boating lake and skate park for the young ones .. Also a bakers and icecream parlour.. Its tucked away from the nightlife of Barry Island but its only a short drive if you fancy a looky around the shops etc..

We will be going here for a few weekends over the summer but be warned carpark gets busy thru the holidays.. :p

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS