PDA

View Full Version : How busy are the French roads during Easter Holidays

Alan Ferguson
08-02-2010, 19:21
Hi, Does anyone have any information on how busy France is during Easter holidays, which seem to last most of April, are there any quiet wild camping spots or Aires that could be recommended.

many thanks
Alan

Higgy
08-02-2010, 20:55
You will have no problems finding empty spots during Easter, we travel some 4
hours South of Paris without a problem.

The Outer Ring Road (Paris) on a clear run is 30mins, when busy an hour to get
basically North to South.

We visit the Correze and have had snow at Easter but sometimes nice sunshine.

Sorry no info on the Aires.

Belgian
09-02-2010, 07:53
Hi, Does anyone have any information on how busy France is during Easter holidays, which seem to last most of April, are there any quiet wild camping spots or Aires that could be recommended.

many thanks
Alan
Hi Alan
Easter is rather early this year and most of the ski resorts in the Alps will be open (snow allowed !) Generally saturday it will be loaded on the highways Paris> Lyon > Grenoble and the Rhône- valley.
A good traffic site is: Accueil Bison Futé (http://www.bison-fute.equipement.gouv.fr/diri/Accueil.do?langue=enhttp://) but they didn't make a forecast for Easter yet.
You'll find lots of wilding places and aires as long as you keep away from the touristic places like Mont St Michel ....
Leo

ajs
09-02-2010, 10:55

many thanks
Alan

based on simple maths... they are 1/2 as busy as ours...:confused:

same population ...contry is twice the size :rolleyes:

regards :D :o
aj

defitzi
09-02-2010, 15:14
hI DI hI....
Easter IS early so in my experience you should have no traffic problems away dfrom the aforesaid alps-did U say U was goin there?. The French dont have a week+long holiday at thet time. Much depends on where U cross channell but wherever, head south coastwise and U will likely find roads deserted-well almost! Aire are eternal- the are 24/360 and you'll find 'em everywhere and meantime, out of season which April surely is, U'll find tolerance just abouteverywhere so car parks quiet places should be ok.
Whats to avoid: try stay away from flat areas (estates in eg) That's where the light fingered are. Town centres often ok and better than suburbs and parks near rivers, canals and lots of country railway staions once very very bigh, now vast empty spaces, are good-no great -for stopovers. Country stations so quiet U can take train somewhere for day trip. Beware tho' dont pick one that usually full of commuters -0at easter probably nt much commuting that weekend but normally, U need to find a space when the commuters have returned and on -stick in for next day or if not moniored, day or so!
My general rule is: coast ok late Sept-Oct to Apl . Most inland ok all time including Apl -Sept. But all is variable-generally France is tolerant and motorhomg welcoming always - but thing are changinga wee bit since i first motorhomed there in the early 60s-bound to given there are millions of motorhomes nowadays and thery are sex mad-as soon as one sees another it wants to get-in-as tight as possible! Bon voyage . .

Alan Ferguson
09-02-2010, 19:45
As a new member this is my first post and I'm very impressed by all your knowledge and useful advice many thanks
Alan

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS